By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - On the Social Construction of Sex

Is biological sex a social construct?

Yes 2 5.26%

No 36 94.74%

Total:38
o_O.Q said:
MrWayne said:
I voted for "No", I don't think biological sex is a social construct however the notion that biological sex is binary is a social construct.
What do we mean when we talk about biological sex? Do we talk about chromosomes?
Our Chromosomes are non binary, many people have XX or XY but there are also people who have X or XXY, and among those people who have XX or XY are people who have unnormal mutations in that chromosome pair.
Do we talk about genitals?
Some people have non functional genitals, some have underdeveloped genitals, some have no genitals and some have both genitals. In the Dominican Republic exist a weird gene defect where boys are born without a penis and only develop on when thay enter puberty.

So the article is at least right in the sense that biological sex is not so easy as we think.

"I don't think biological sex is a social construct however the notion that biological sex is binary is a social construct."

well that's what was intended with that poll so you should switch to yes

fair enough, so for you sex would work something like this right? with different people appearing at different points along the graph between male and female right?

I fear it's not possible to change your vote once you voted.

Yes, this graph is obviously also a social construct, a simplification but a more accurate one than the binary male/female. Maybe we will discover an even more accurate depiction of sex in the future but we will never truly know how reality really is since we can only perceive it filtered through our self.

Around the Network

Jules98 said:
Honestly, I really don't get the uproar.

When you're born, you either have a penis, or you don't. That's a fact. Since people with penises play a different role in the process of reproduction than those without, they where given a different name. At the end of the day, that's all the terms 'male' and 'female' really mean.

What about people that are born with both parts?  

Just pointing out that the bolded isn't exactly accurate.

Last edited by the-pi-guy - on 29 April 2019

I find the fact of variation to be quite worthless in stating that sex is a social construct. All species have variation (even in sexes). And yes, some people are born 'between sexes' as it were. But intersex people are not born on a scale of sex, they're born with an abnormal genetic mutation.

Every concepts of our life are based around the construct of our language and social interactions. Suffice to say that it is a social construct but by all scientific obesrvations we can identify most cases around 2 categories : Penis, Vagina and both, so it is an observable reality of our waking life.

Genders on the other end are a complete social construct

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Is math and science a social construct, because we made them up. They didn't exist before we created them. Are the answers they give us really the truth or does it simply explain what we see and not what's really happening underneath?

Around the Network

So people are denying DNA now? I suppose I shouldn't be surprised after people denied that the planet was a sphere first. There'll always be some crazies out there it seems.

the-pi-guy said:

What about people that are born with both parts?  

Just pointing out that the bolded isn't exactly accurate.

Then they're technically 'both' and are arguably deserving of our utmost attention from the medical and life sciences community ... 

As far as I can see there are only potentially 3 valid biological sex states. You're either a male, female, or both but by no means does it serve as a justification for transsexuals to defy this classification system on an ideological basis since there are very real biological consequences that comes with it ... 

To give 'transsexuals' a special exception is unacceptable and would undermine the years of established clinical data ... 

I for the most part agree that gender and gender roles are a social construct but sex, nah. Sex is biological, it's concrete science. Gender on the other hand are a set of societal and cultural pressures exerted on people based upon their biological sex.

collint0101 said:
I for the most part agree that gender and gender roles are a social construct but sex, nah. Sex is biological, it's concrete science. Gender on the other hand are a set of societal and cultural pressures exerted on people based upon their biological sex.

well how to you explain the variance in sexual characteristics?

and are you ready to marginalise all the people who do not fit comfortably into "male" and "female"?

o_O.Q said:
collint0101 said:

well how to you explain the variance in sexual characteristics?

and are you ready to marginalise all the people who do not fit comfortably into "male" and "female"?

Yeah there are various in betweens in regards to biological sex that fall into a wide range of different categories but from my point of view society as a whole pushes them toward picking 1 of 2 gender identities because this whole "gender is a social construct" movement isn't quite mainstream yet. That being said I feel as if being biologically male, female or intersex is concrete scientific data that is separate from social norms and stigmas applied to behavior through gender roles.