By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - On the Social Construction of Sex

Is biological sex a social construct?

Yes 2 5.26%

No 36 94.74%

Total:38

In a way it is a social construct because in general men and woman are expected to look and act a certain way. But still scientific fact says that there are two sexes (with some exception).

Around the Network

Lul

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

jason1637 said:
In a way it is a social construct because in general men and woman are expected to look and act a certain way. But still scientific fact says that there are two sexes (with some exception).

what about intersex people? what about people with XXY or XYY chromosomes? what about non binary people? etc etc etc

suppose sex works like this:

Last edited by o_O.Q - on 29 April 2019

o_O.Q said:
jason1637 said:

what about intersex people? what about people with XXY or XYY chromosomes? what about non binary people? etc etc etc

Those are the rare exceptions.

Around the Network
John2290 said:
o_O.Q said:

Are you transgender?

are you implying that I have to be transgender to be interested in discussion about biological sex?

whether i am or not isn't really relevant to the topic at hand

I voted for "No", I don't think biological sex is a social construct however the notion that biological sex is binary is a social construct.
What do we mean when we talk about biological sex? Do we talk about chromosomes?
Our Chromosomes are non binary, many people have XX or XY but there are also people who have X or XXY, and among those people who have XX or XY are people who have unnormal mutations in that chromosome pair.
Do we talk about genitals?
Some people have non functional genitals, some have underdeveloped genitals, some have no genitals and some have both genitals. In the Dominican Republic exist a weird gene defect where boys are born without a penis and only develop on when thay enter puberty.

So the article is at least right in the sense that biological sex is not so easy as we think.

John2290 said:

They can live a lie all they want, even spread the lie. I don't care, what I do care about is trying to worm this shit into science through social means, the shaming of scientists and running them out of a job unless they conform to this thinking, even if they still practice empirically under the table is straight from the dark ages or something out of Orwell like literature and on the matter of written text, they'll come for the litriture next and the medical texts once they realize it contradicts thier beliefs before they eventually get full control of digital media, it's just a matter of time, the books will be destroyed or at least they'll try and make a case for it. This needs to be nibbed in the bud and I wouldn't be surprised if there is no chance and it is some high level social engineering or interstate subversion and bot, mind fuckery at play. 

So no, I don't think biological sex is a social construct, just writing that in a sentence is plain contradictory.

"the shaming of scientists and running them out of a job unless they conform to this thinking"

examples?

" This needs to be nibbed in the bud and I wouldn't be surprised if there is no chance and it is some high level social engineering"

you mean like a conspiracy? by who?

"They can live a lie all they want, even spread the lie."

by lie you are referring to sex not being as fluid as the article implies? but you do have to concede that intersex people, for example, do exist to start with right

then we have people with XXY chromosomes

then XYY

i mean by the time we hit non-binary people you have to admit something is looking screwy

MrWayne said:
I voted for "No", I don't think biological sex is a social construct however the notion that biological sex is binary is a social construct.
What do we mean when we talk about biological sex? Do we talk about chromosomes?
Our Chromosomes are non binary, many people have XX or XY but there are also people who have X or XXY, and among those people who have XX or XY are people who have unnormal mutations in that chromosome pair.
Do we talk about genitals?
Some people have non functional genitals, some have underdeveloped genitals, some have no genitals and some have both genitals. In the Dominican Republic exist a weird gene defect where boys are born without a penis and only develop on when thay enter puberty.

So the article is at least right in the sense that biological sex is not so easy as we think.

"I don't think biological sex is a social construct however the notion that biological sex is binary is a social construct."

well that's what was intended with that poll so you should switch to yes

fair enough, so for you sex would work something like this right? with different people appearing at different points along the graph between male and female right?

John2290 said:
o_O.Q said:

"the shaming of scientists and running them out of a job unless they conform to this thinking"

examples?

" This needs to be nibbed in the bud and I wouldn't be surprised if there is no chance and it is some high level social engineering"

you mean like a conspiracy? by who?

"They can live a lie all they want, even spread the lie."

by lie you are referring to sex not being as fluid as the article implies? but you do have to concede that intersex people, for example, do exist to start with right

then we have people with XXY chromosomes

then XYY

i mean by the time we hit non-binary people you have to admit something is looking screwy

You format your questions oddly. I'm not going down the line of twenty questions that mutliply to a dozen or two. I'm too old for threading like that and esspecially on a mobile phone. 

Use google for the first question, look up professors also and assistants in research. Make up your own mind on the second, I'm not here to tell another grown person how to think critically and the is my opinion on the third and yes, I do knowof intersex people but it is a truly small margin. All life is a mutation in one form or another, every individual is a mutation and intersex are the natural mutation from the two sexes, that in no way gives any credence to the notion that sex is a social construct. 

i ask about the scientists who are being silenced because I haven't heard about that at all, to me that was my most important question