By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo FY2018 results, Switch 34.74M, Software 187.52M

AlbiNecroxz said:
Farsala said:

As I say often with PS4 shipments, it is probably just a high stock situation. Switch was booming during the holidays and then it dropped off too hard, even if it is selling well or better than last year, extra shipments weren't needed.

.46m isn't much in the long run anyways.

Damn it, you're right. So, Nintendo is more soft with projections this year due to these Q4 shipments, right?

Hard telling since Nintendo doesn't give sold to consumers information. Could be due to planning another strong holiday quarter with all the big releases and ignoring the other quarters, so shipments overall will be lax until the boom.

Around the Network
Bofferbrauer2 said:
Asriel said:
So despite sales to consumers being up year over year in both Japan and the US across January to March, Nintendo shipped fewer Switch units than the same quarter last year, when shipments were ~2.9 million - versus 2.47 million this year. Suggests retailers had some stock left from the huge Christmas shipments. You'd hope Nintendo learn their lesson and go for a more balanced sales curve this financial year.

It's not necessarily Nintendo's fault, though. It could just be that retailers ordered too many during the holiday season, expecting even more hype from PLG and Smash.

It was more of a reference back to the very soft first quarter of the financial year, when they shipped less than 2 million units - and the fact Nintendo didn't release any significant system sellers between Super Mario Odyssey and Super Mario Party. With New Super Mario Bros U DX in January and Mario Maker 2 in June following on from the Oct/Nov/Dec releases of Mario Party, Pokemon and Smash, I'd say this financial year certainly looks more balanced than last.

Good numbers, specially on SW.
But seems like the "pessimistic" won, they didn't hit the target for FY18 and their forecast for this year is 18M, so very far from 20-25M some were expecting here. At least 18M I believe is easily achievable by them, but doesn't seem like they'll pass PS4 at the end of cycle.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Under 17.

Thought it’s be at 18. Obviously it’s still doing good, but it’s no Wii or DS. Software is great! Mario Odyssey, Smash, Mario Kart, Zelda, some of the new releases, all excellent. Never thought I’d see the day a Zelda game would cruise by 12m. It could reach 15m when all is said and done. And then there’s the WiiU version on top of that. Pokemon Let’s Go doesn’t seem to have long legs though.

Jranation said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:
Can't believe they are only projecting 18m for the coming fiscal year. Their software for the next 12 months is so much stronger than last year's. Last year they had this weird strategy that they'll save all of their big guns until the end of the year and have software draughts in the meantime. This year we have a little mini-draught right now, but once June 28 hits, then it is going to be solid titles one right after another.

Nintendo doesn't even know how to evaluate their own software. They overprojected last year and now they are underprojecting. It's disappointing. They are probably going to be massively short supplied during holdays.

Perhaps they are playing it safe and see how April - September go then they can increase it. 

Possibly.

I think we'll know more after E3 to make some meaningful predictions ourselves (Pokemon, AC, and so on probably get release dates by or around then, plus maybe some yet unannounced games). But unless the sales are way up by end of September, I don't think they would augment the target by then already.

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
Good numbers, specially on SW.
But seems like the "pessimistic" won, they didn't hit the target for FY18 and their forecast for this year is 18M, so very far from 20-25M some were expecting here. At least 18M I believe is easily achievable by them, but doesn't seem like they'll pass PS4 at the end of cycle.

It was always a pipe dream, considering we do know how much the Wii and the 3DS sold in this very site and could make a reasonable estimate. But VGC has been like this for Nintendo hardware for over ten years already, if you want to know.

Software, on the other hand, seems pretty good. Except for the Yoshi game, which deserved more.

Edit - oh, that's just Yoshi's initial shipment. Didn't realize it had just released haha. So that's good.

Last edited by haxxiy - on 25 April 2019

I wonder where some of these software titles are going to end, even if they continue to grow by 2-3 million a year, it is still a high number.

Rather than focusing on the fact that they missed their lofty goal, can we not simply appreciate how far the switch has come compared to Wii U? Only the Wii after the GameCube was probably a greater comeback in gaming history.

Is this year expected to be Switch´s peak year?... they´re only expecting 18m for this year, so if it turns out this year is indeed Switch´s peak, does that seem underwhelming to you guys?

Dulfite said:
Rather than focusing on the fact that they missed their lofty goal, can we not simply appreciate how far the switch has come compared to Wii U? Only the Wii after the GameCube was probably a greater comeback in gaming history.

Yeah but did the Wii really have a great impact on gaming history ?

I think what the Switch achieves here is more important for gaming history