By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Spoilers - Marvel Endgame Discussion - Spoilers

mZuzek said:
Ganoncrotch said:

Thor and Rockets scene in infinity war I felt gave Rocket one of the best times to be a leader of a group, but I think when it comes to these two films like.... if you just focus on one character, say for me Dr Strange what does he do in the finale? he ropes one group of enemies in the air and then a damn bursts and he spends the rest of the finale holding up a wall of water and at one point motions a finger up to let Stark know that this was the 1 in millions if he made the sacrifice... also as a character he just lost his most powerful weapon in the time stone..... but! That's what standalone films are for and you know that theyre well aware of the success of the GOTG franchise on its own rights so I think you'll just have to have faith that they'll do you right in their 3rd outing.

I wil say, in the last few movies they've really let Hemsworth shine a bit in the comedy side of things and I feel like he could do well in guardians under Gunns wing.

Awesome to hear you got your butt into the seat without a spoiler, this was my goal too and I achieved it 100%, never seen any promo stuff about it, no trailer and even avoided seeing the poster in the cinema, 100% blind going in, was amazing.

Well, I guess I can properly reply to this now... though, it's not the same stuff I'd have said a couple days ago. I think I'm watching the movie again this weekend, and that'll likely change my perspective on things, but over the last couple days I've given a lot of thought to it and I'm starting to come to terms with the portrayal of Rocket. You see, prior to watching Endgame I figured I'd watch a few movies to get in the mood, and those ended up being both Guardians of the Galaxy films and Infinity War, so I basically watched the full Guardians story up until this point. I figured it'd be nice to go into Endgame with them as my primary focus, because I wanted to see what would happen involving them, but what it really did in the end was creating expectations, and expectations always serve one single purpose: to disappoint. I started having expectations that things would happen like this or that, that characters would feel and act this or that way, and it's impossible for things to happen the way you imagine, especially when the movie hits you with an unexpected FIVE YEARS LATER early on.

But, anyways. Let's try to get back into the mindset of whatever I was gonna try to say a couple days ago.

I understand your point about these films not having room to give individual characters the spotlight, but then you go on and bring up the worst possible example in Doctor Strange, because he was massively important to the plot of both movies, to the point where he was being talked about even when he was dead. Yeah, sure in the final battle itself he doesn't do much, but he's still a key character who influences the story heavily. I don't mind the Guardians not being too involved in the battles, because even then let's be real, they don't have much to add to the fight - but I did mind how little they mattered in the end. It was disheartening to me, after all of the development these characters and relationships had over the two of their movies, to see them be dragged into this whole "larger" story only to bear no real impact on it - and in return, have the story impact them massively. I think that's the key point I was trying to make. Strange was dragged into this, but he affected the story greatly and left with no scars. Black Panther and Wakanda were brought into this too, and they weren't too relevant, but they still left unscathed. The Guardians of the Galaxy, though? They just show up, do nothing, and in the end are given massive consequences for something they barely had a hand in. It was disheartening to see.

I'm still not okay with Thor being potentially part of the cast for Vol. 3. You say James Gunn can make it work, and I'm sure he can, but it still doesn't sit well with me. For one, what I always liked about Guardians was always how far removed from the MCU those movies were - they had nothing to do with anything else that was going on, and that's what made them awesome. I guess it's inevitable that after Infinity War and Endgame that couldn't remain being the case, but there is one other thing that defined this particular group of heroes and that's how... "normal" they are. None of them have insane superpowers or barely anything that's far above what a normal person can do, and that was always part of the charm. They always felt like just proper normal-ish people, who had to deal with their problems in normal-ish ways, and it just couldn't possibly be more unfitting to have the 'god of lightning' join them. It just takes all the GotG out of GotG, in my opinion.

But while I do still hold some hope that Thor isn't gonna be actually relevant in Vol. 3, I am massively concerned about Gamora's situation. It was bad enough that she had to die outside of a Guardians movie, especially in the way it happened, but they just made matters far worse by bringing past Gamora into the universe. I mean... how morbid is that, really? They're gonna be looking for her, trying to get her back into the team and restore the original status quo, but she's a different person who's lived different things. It doesn't change the fact that the 'real' Gamora is dead. To think that they're just gonna pretend she never died by bringing in a sort-of 'clone' of her, well, it really creeps me out and I hope it doesn't happen. If anything, after these movies I almost feel like Rocket might just be at a point now where he can fill in Gamora's shoes as the "mom" of the group, given everything he's been through and the different attitude he had in Endgame, and if that's the case, then I'm completely fine with his portrayal here. But, we'll see.

I am Groot.

Around the Network

Went to see it with my son (it was his second run already) last Sunday, May 5. I actually enjoyed it far more than I expected, so I guess it deserves a solid 6/10.

I’ll give some impressions and then talk about some little things I have not seen anyone comment.

First, I kind of enjoyed the Thor way, since, if not for that, the scene with his mother would probably not be so intense. The jokes in the room, particularly the Fortnite ones, are annoying as heck, though.

Second, I hit the bullseye right in the middle when I said to my son one year ago that they would merge Hulk with Banner. Considering the way they had been criminally nerfing him in a continuous way after all the green power displayed in vanilla Avengers (I mean, getting beat by Thor made sense in the comics and did a bit in 2017, as Ragnarok was supposed to show the unveiling of the blonde’s true potential; getting beat by Thanos was maybe also ok, if Thanos was already as OP as they showed him to be in Endgame, plus he had a stone with him at that time; but being beat by the Hulkbuster in Ultron? So many years later I still cannot digest that lol), it was no surprise to me that he would not get another great powershow (the child in me is disappointed, but the adult maybe understands that).

Even so, all the things Hulk does in the movie are of gigantic impact and they make peace with the importance of the character, so I’m also ok with him in the movie (extra points up for the revival of the “Secret Wars” scene when Hulk alone prevents the other heroes from being crushed by tons of debris, except he was holding a whole mountain then and now it was “only” a large building, and with just one hand, no less; I still don’t get the lack of explanation for it taking so long for his arm to heal lol. Maybe the stones were preventing it, or whatever).

Captain is not irritating as frigg here like he was in Civil War (horrible, stupid movie btw) and that alone deserves a commendation.

They handled the whole Cap Marvel power quite well and Iron Man had a fitting, honorable end to the character/actor that was greatly responsible for all this to be possible.

So, nice show, much better than I thought it would be, but just one major consideration, that I have not seen elsewhere:

The script, as it is, relies a lot on human interaction and that required a much, much better direction for the actors, something that the Russos simply are not cut off to do. Ultron had the talent in the hands of Joss Whedon, but a horrible, atrocious script made everything be the huge mess that it turned out to. The Russos had a better script on that matter, but not the talent to extract the best from the actors when they most needed it. Simply put, this movie needed someone like Joss or, even better, Sam Raimi.

Finally, some minor nitpicks:

The rhythm is very inconsistent, something the directors handled very well in IW but not so much here;

Time travel to solve things is just as cliché as it gets. Didn’t care much for this solution, and the holes got ginormous;

The Ronin side of the movie is too far-fetched and not worked well enough to make the impact it was supposed to;

Spider-Man, even as a “kid”, was treated pathetically both here and in IW, what is inconceivable to be done to the best, and most famous and beloved, Marvel superhero (which he was, at least up to the beginning of the MCU; now, if only the movies are to be accounted, it will probably be IM).

Well, to close it up, it is very enjoyable, even if I think it is going to be easily forgotten in the future as a movie, but as an entertainment composition of a (very) large previous construct that we could see happen in the past decade, it is impressive. Even some parts extracted from the hedious Civil War come together in some harmony here. The original IM is still the best MCU movie (I mean movie, one you go back and see again from time to time, not an event) by a long shot, and it could have been close to perfection if it wasn’t for the big, foolish, Bay-like-transformers fight in the last act. The two others that come closer to IM1 in quality are the first Avengers flick and then TWS. Infinity War is somewhat behind those three and this one comes close to IW. Solid entertainment that mostly lacked better direction for the actors to have the emotional impact it could have had.

P.S.: If you are wondering on what basis I judge this kind of film, Spider-Man 2 (2004) is the best superhero movie ever made.

Last edited by farlaff - on 07 May 2019

mZuzek said:
farlaff said:
I actually enjoyed it far more than I expected, so I guess it deserves a solid 6/10.

Wow. You really weren't expecting much, were you?

Hehehe, not really. I mean, with all due respect, especially to the younger ones here, it is a popcorn based, superhero flick we are talking about, not a Bergman movie. 

farlaff said:
mZuzek said:

Wow. You really weren't expecting much, were you?

Hehehe, not really. I mean, with all due respect, especially to the younger ones here, it is a popcorn based, superhero flick we are talking about, not a Bergman movie. 

@farlaff, could we please ask for your opinion on Dune (1984)?

I heard Thanos was involved in the remake, and would love to get your take on the original version? 

mZuzek said:
farlaff said:

Don't worry, I'm quite resistant to the typical "popcorn flick" argument. But I mean, 6/10 is pretty much the lowest score you can still consider good, so I'm led to believe you weren't expecting the movie to be good in the first place. Then again, you apparently don't rate either Guardians of the Galaxy film, so your taste's credibility is already pretty low.

Well, your post was coming out real nice, until you offended my taste's credibility. I won't stress on that, though, I just don't understand why.

As to your question on Guardians, I like both movies and think they rate very similarly to Endgame. The humor is also much better there, but the scope is smaller, obviously.

Don't you worry much about grades: they are just numbers. I can rate movie X the same as movie Y and still enjoy one much more than the other.

Around the Network
Mospeada21CA said:
farlaff said:

@farlaff, could we please ask for your opinion on Dune (1984)?

I heard Thanos was involved in the remake, and would love to get your take on the original version? 

Hahahahah, nice one, sir. I honestly don't remember Dune very well. But it's a Lynch movie, so it probably deserves a proper rewatch from me.

mZuzek said:

Sorry about the taste thing, then. Wasn't the nicest of me but I meant it lightly. You mentioned 5 movies in the MCU that you enjoyed, Endgame being the one you enjoyed least apparently, so with that being a 6/10 I assumed you didn't like Guardians at all.

Also, aren't grades supposed to be a measure of how enjoyable something is?

Hey, not to worry. No harm done. 6/10 is a high grade for me when blockbusters are in the talk. IM, my my favorite of MCU, is something like 7,5 or 8 in my book.

As for the how enjoyable measure, it can be used like that, yes, but I have always used the grades more with a technical view, that contains cinematography, script, editing, pace, soundtrack, acting, directing, and only  then both contribution to the art and how enjoyable it is. To ilustrate this last concept, take the 1999 movie "Entrapment" which stars Sean Connery and Catherine Zeta-Jones. Bad film, but very fun to watch.

I just read a French article talking about how a lot of critics (and some spectators) are completely disconnected from what is now mainstream culture like superhero movies, don't understand the movies at all, consider themselves superior for disliking it (not "intellectual" enough), and are surprised and unhappy when those movies are successful. "Why do a lot of people go watch this movie and like it when us, intellectually superior critics, told them that it's bad?"

Very nice read, written by a journalist specialized in cultural topics (once again, French only though) :
https://www.franceculture.fr/cinema/le-succes-titanesque-davengers-laisse-les-critiques-tetanises

Faelco said:

I just read a French article talking about how a lot of critics (and some spectators) are completely disconnected from what is now mainstream culture like superhero movies, don't understand the movies at all, consider themselves superior for disliking it (not "intellectual" enough), and are surprised and unhappy when those movies are successful. "Why do a lot of people go watch this movie and like it when us, intellectually superior critics, told them that it's bad?"

Very nice read, written by a journalist specialized in cultural topics (once again, French only though) :
https://www.franceculture.fr/cinema/le-succes-titanesque-davengers-laisse-les-critiques-tetanises

Kinda standard nowadays isn't it? A well made film does not mean it's entertaining. A film that is entertaining for us Joe Bloggs may not be what the critics are looking for when reviewing a film. Avengers is all spectacle and we love it for it because it gives us entertainment, helps that it's very well made, looks great with very few faults.

Of course, are these the critics that gave The Last Jedi great review scores when most people who saw the film were just annoyed by it, well made film or not, when I see star ships shooting across space saying "They are out of our range." many of us just laughed at the notion as it was stupid.

Hmm, pie.

Faelco said:

someone considering themselves to be intellectually superior yet works as a pissant movie critic online where they're told by their boss to review a movie they don't like the genre of?

Should maybe use some of that superior intellect to get a less shitty job eh?

Click bait gonna click bait though.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive