By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Spoilers - Marvel Endgame Discussion - Spoilers

mZuzek said:
Okay, I'm doing an actual post now. So, hmm, let's see...

It's a really hard movie to digest for me. Infinity War was hard because of the nature of everything that happened, and in that regard Endgame is easier as it has a happy-ish ending and all, but what makes it difficult for me is what happened to the Guardians of the Galaxy. I mean... I was fine with almost all of them dying in Infinity War because it meant Rocket would at least get more screentime and cool moments in Endgame. But, nope. Besides one alright scene with Thor, he basically spends the whole movie doing nothing and is a throwaway character that's just... there. When the Guardians do come back, they are also mostly really irrelevant, which I guess is fine given the state of the movie by that point... and well, Gamora really did never come back - and while that was good for Avengers in that it made the events of Infinity War matter, it also taints the Guardians movies for erasing a character and relationship they worked so hard to build, even though I can see this being Gunn's decision. But really, my biggest concern is fucking Thor. I mean, Thor..? Really? I sure hope that was just some high level baiting and that he won't be a Guardian come Vol. 3, but it doesn't feel like it. I got no issues with him as a character, but not in Guardians... please. In the end, I just wanted Thanos' whole arc to revolve around the Guardians more, because those were the characters that had a more personal connection to him from the beginning, but that never happened.

So, yeah. GotG fanboy side of me is not happy. But when putting those thoughts aside, the movie is very, very good. I went in knowing absolutely nothing and was positively surprised with each crazy turn it took, everything was so unexpected and it was just great. All the time travel stuff and going back to earlier movies was really cool, it was great to see many characters we never thought we would again, and in some cases, didn't even use to care for. The way they subverted all your expectations and still came up with an epic finale was quite awesome, really. I just don't want fucking Thor in my fucking Guardians of the Galaxy, that's all.

Thor and Rockets scene in infinity war I felt gave Rocket one of the best times to be a leader of a group, but I think when it comes to these two films like.... if you just focus on one character, say for me Dr Strange what does he do in the finale? he ropes one group of enemies in the air and then a damn bursts and he spends the rest of the finale holding up a wall of water and at one point motions a finger up to let Stark know that this was the 1 in millions if he made the sacrifice... also as a character he just lost his most powerful weapon in the time stone..... but! That's what standalone films are for and you know that theyre well aware of the success of the GOTG franchise on its own rights so I think you'll just have to have faith that they'll do you right in their 3rd outing.

I wil say, in the last few movies they've really let Hemsworth shine a bit in the comedy side of things and I feel like he could do well in guardians under Gunns wing.

Awesome to hear you got your butt into the seat without a spoiler, this was my goal too and I achieved it 100%, never seen any promo stuff about it, no trailer and even avoided seeing the poster in the cinema, 100% blind going in, was amazing.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Around the Network
Faelco said:

Amazing movie, made me cry a few times. Perfect end for several key characters, it will be hard to continue without Cap and Tony honestly. They need to find a great actor to carry the Avengers movies from now on, and they didn't find yet (Black Panther, Spiderman and Captain Marvel are very far from this level for now).

Only one small scene bothered me a little, the "girls power to save Spiderman". Felt a little forced in the middle of the awesome battle. No big deal, I just hope that they won't multiply that kind of stuff from now on.

Going by what they have said in different interviews, looks like Cap Marvel is gonna be the new face of the MCU. Don Cheadle even literally said: "The torch has been passed, all Brie has to do now is not screw it up"

And idk, this might be the conspiracy theorist in me talking, but the all-female scene to me felt like a direct message to all the "haters".
I could almost hear them say: "To all of those men out there who are threatened by women, know that we are doubling down on this"

And I really dont know how to feel about that. Now, don´t get me wrong, I really love me some badass woman (I'm REALLY looking forward to that Black Widow solo movie for example).  I just don´t want them to force it too much (like it felt in that particular scene).

EDIT:
To the OP: My apologies, I didn't realize that THAT scene had already been cause of controversy on this thread. I will abstain myself to touch on the subject again.

Last edited by chakkra - on 01 May 2019

Vyse_Blue_Rogue said:

So, they could go back, retrieve each stone, then go back 10 minutes and do it again, then repeat and repeat, take them all back to the future, get Stark to make dozens of Infinity Gauntlets for the dozens of each versions of all the stones, give a Gauntlet complete with stones to each Avenger then the Avengers become invincible forever?

Depending on how Marvel (CU) treat time travel, technically, yes. But all 6 gems are too powerful for normal humans to actually use/hold. Of course writers forgot this during certain periods (basically when Hickman threw up on the Avengers and 616). BUT There was a story in 616 not long ago by Bendis (years in reality. :P ) where Kang constantly went back and forward in time to recruit heroes to fight a future version of Ultron. He kept losing and doing it again, meaning in one fight there was loads of instances of slightly different heroes from the same similar timelines and himself over and over. He ended up breaking the continuum, everything was stuck in this instance and time couldn't progress. It was only sorted when the Avengers went to just before the conflict started and convinced Ultron to lose to fix it.

Marvel time travel can be messed up sometimes.

Signalstar said:
The whole thing felt like work. After 22 movies I'm glad to be done. It is a shame I love Spider-Man so much so I will probably see Far From Home. I really want to swear off superhero movies like I swore off fast food last year.

They do need to take a break for a bit. Jumping straight into a new arch might be too much but without a hero to be the front of Marvel, like Tony Stark was, the direction is lost a little. Spiderman isn't an Avenger (not really) he's his own character, better than all of them but needs to be on his own so he stands out.

Which is why the ending of this film is kind of a blessing for Peter, he's not a sidekick. He's Spider-man.

mZuzek said:

It took me all this time to write a response to this, and when I was finally almost done, my phone froze. I'm really annoyed now, you can imagine. So, fuck it, whatever. I guess I'll talk more when I get back to my computer, which... won't be very soon, actually. Sigh.

The direction of Guardians is a bit in the air, isn't it? Obvious they are going after Gamora but now Thor will be the stand out character in what should be a team film. Out of potential sequels to know films they are doing, Guardians is the one I'm most excited for because of potential characters, hero and villains they could do in them. Adam Warlock, Moondragon, Genis-Vell and Quasar. I hope for great things from the series.

Hmm, pie.

NightlyPoe said:
Machiavellian said:

You know the Girl power scene is an interesting one.  When I say it I was like oh boy here we go, then when I thought about it a little more I was like, how many times have we seen a scene like that but it was all male heros.  In other words, if the scene was all males we would not have thought anything about it because it would feel natural.  I believe the they threw that scene in there because it isn't natural to see and it had the exact effect on most men thinking SJW.  If they would have had a woman leading the charge it also would not feel natural but in reality it shouldn't feel different at all.

Meh.  The simple fact is that it was included to specifically divide up the heroes into groups.  That's bad.  Worse, it took you, me, and millions of other people out of the movie.  What is it with Hollywood and thinking that girls can't survive without on-the-nose self-esteem boosts from them?

Furthermore, it's kinda ridiculous for the MCU to be patting itself on the back considering they've actually done a piss poor job of integrating women outside of the Guardians of the Galaxy movies and Black Panther.  Oh, and Peggy Carter was pretty good too.  No Whedon-directed Black Widow.  No Scarlet Witch vehicle, and dumping her into a streaming series.  No She-Hulk (this would have been so easy!).  The Wasp is the first titular female, but an afterthought and kinda terrible anyway.  Captain Marvel is just a mess.

Not sure what you mean it took you out of the movie.  Nothing like that happen with me but then again I did not put to much thought into it.  My thing is as a society we are still not there yet.  What I mean by that is that we put so much into that one scene that it was all the women then anything else.  We focused on that, believing they are forcing something on us.  For all we know, it was just a photo op.  The women got together and wanted something to remind them of the series then anything else.  

Personally, I would have had all of them go up against Thanos get their asses handed to them and have Thanos still powerstone punch CM like he did but I guess the connotations of that would have been to much.

mZuzek said:

Ganoncrotch said: 

It took me all this time to write a response to this, and when I was finally almost done, my phone froze. I'm really annoyed now, you can imagine. So, fuck it, whatever. I guess I'll talk more when I get back to my computer, which... won't be very soon, actually. Sigh.

ah shite man, I been there before and know that feeling. It had me selectall and copying my text before clicking submit for about a month after it happened.

Will catch up when you get to a pc!

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Around the Network
chakkra said:
Faelco said:

Amazing movie, made me cry a few times. Perfect end for several key characters, it will be hard to continue without Cap and Tony honestly. They need to find a great actor to carry the Avengers movies from now on, and they didn't find yet (Black Panther, Spiderman and Captain Marvel are very far from this level for now).

Only one small scene bothered me a little, the "girls power to save Spiderman". Felt a little forced in the middle of the awesome battle. No big deal, I just hope that they won't multiply that kind of stuff from now on.

Going by what they have said in different interviews, looks like Cap Marvel is gonna be the new face of the MCU. Don Cheadle even literally said: "The torch has been passed, all Brie has to do now is not screw it up"

And idk, this might be the conspiracy theorist in me talking, but the all-female scene to me felt like a direct message to all the "haters".
I could almost hear them say: "To all of those men out there who are threatened by women, know that we are doubling down on this"

And I really dont know how to feel about that. Now, don´t get me wrong, I really love me some badass woman (I'm REALLY looking forward to that Black Widow solo movie for example).  I just don´t want them to force it too much (like it felt in that particular scene).

EDIT:
To the OP: My apologies, I didn't realize that THAT scene had already been cause of controversy on this thread. I will abstain myself to touch on the subject again.

NP it was always gonna draw some att, I just really think that anyone actually "threatened" by the XX Stars of the film are the very very minority and even taking a scene to spite them is silly imo.

As for Brie being the head of the MCU I just worry about her character being a bit too "superman"y like.... Imagine if the villian of the next stand alone movie is some terrorists in a desert or someone in a knockoff Ironman suit like the early flicks, CM could end the movie by flying past them and carpet bombing them in rainbow death.

Perhaps with the Infinity stones taken out of the timeline she could be slightly less powerful? since her powe came directly from the space stone, I'm just worried that the mcu will have to invent Chicktonite to battle her :D

The thing is though with the MCU it is so far from being on a single set of shoulders, there was 20 minutes of credits at the end of endgame so like... there is hundreds and thousands of jobs now involved in making this what it is, and obviously some of those are the cgi staff who worked on the dust effect and thanos's scrotum chin.... but damn didn't they look incredible, I mean compare Thanos cgi to CGI Grand Moff Tarkin from Rogue One, it's on another level... fuck it, even the "assistant to Mr Stark" in the credits Bought that man a tasty sandwich on set at a point which would go on to provide him with the calories he needed to act! Best assistant ever. heh.... Mr Stark IRL for me... him and RDJ are just intertwined in my head because he made that role his.

"How did you coordinate the moment where all the female Marvel heroes come together?
McFEELY There was much conversation. Is that delightful or is it pandering? We went around and around on that. Ultimately we went, we like it too much.
MARKUS Part of the fun of the “Avengers” movies has always been team-ups. Marvel has been amassing this huge roster of characters. You’ve got crazy aliens. You’ve got that many badass women. You’ve got three or four people in Iron Man suits."

That's their take. It was just something they liked having.

mZuzek said:
Okay, I'm doing an actual post now. So, hmm, let's see...

It's a really hard movie to digest for me. Infinity War was hard because of the nature of everything that happened, and in that regard Endgame is easier as it has a happy-ish ending and all, but what makes it difficult for me is what happened to the Guardians of the Galaxy. I mean... I was fine with almost all of them dying in Infinity War because it meant Rocket would at least get more screentime and cool moments in Endgame. But, nope. Besides one alright scene with Thor, he basically spends the whole movie doing nothing and is a throwaway character that's just... there. When the Guardians do come back, they are also mostly really irrelevant, which I guess is fine given the state of the movie by that point... and well, Gamora really did never come back - and while that was good for Avengers in that it made the events of Infinity War matter, it also taints the Guardians movies for erasing a character and relationship they worked so hard to build, even though I can see this being Gunn's decision. But really, my biggest concern is fucking Thor. I mean, Thor..? Really? I sure hope that was just some high level baiting and that he won't be a Guardian come Vol. 3, but it doesn't feel like it. I got no issues with him as a character, but not in Guardians... please. In the end, I just wanted Thanos' whole arc to revolve around the Guardians more, because those were the characters that had a more personal connection to him from the beginning, but that never happened.

So, yeah. GotG fanboy side of me is not happy. But when putting those thoughts aside, the movie is very, very good. I went in knowing absolutely nothing and was positively surprised with each crazy turn it took, everything was so unexpected and it was just great. All the time travel stuff and going back to earlier movies was really cool, it was great to see many characters we never thought we would again, and in some cases, didn't even use to care for. The way they subverted all your expectations and still came up with an epic finale was quite awesome, really. I just don't want fucking Thor in my fucking Guardians of the Galaxy, that's all.

I am hoping that Thor has a similar role in Guardians 3 that Captain Marvel had in Endgame.  I mean, they teased Captain Marvel in the credits of two different movies, and in the end she was mostly a plot device for this film.  Sure she destroyed Thanos' super powered ship and took a headbutt without flinching, but this movie was most definitely not about her, and I liked that they handled it this way.  Come to think of it, they also teased Dr. Strange being in Thor 3 and Ant-Man being in Civil War.  In both cases though both were minor characters.  So, Marvel has a track record for this, and I'm leaning toward Thor not being a major part of the story for Guardians 3 because of that.  Also, I think the more interesting story is how this version of Gamora is going to interact with the rest of the Guardians.

Also, I just want to say I was entertained seeing James Gunn's name listed as an executive producer for Endgame.  Even if he didn't have much involvement, Marvel was secretly tossing some money his way while claiming he was "fired" the whole time.  LOL!  Personally, I think several of Marvel's directors are worth more than their weight in gold:  James Gunn, the Russos, Taika Waititi, and Ryan Coogler.  If I were Disney, I wouldn't let any them go for anything.  They can let the Ant-Man director go.  That would be fine.  But they need to know who their MVP's are, and it seems like they do.  It would be really dumb to let their MVP directors go for just about any reason.

Ganoncrotch said:

As for Brie being the head of the MCU I just worry about her character being a bit too "superman"y like.... Imagine if the villian of the next stand alone movie is some terrorists in a desert or someone in a knockoff Ironman suit like the early flicks, CM could end the movie by flying past them and carpet bombing them in rainbow death.

Perhaps with the Infinity stones taken out of the timeline she could be slightly less powerful? since her powe came directly from the space stone, I'm just worried that the mcu will have to invent Chicktonite to battle her :D

Or maybe a certain southern belle can take some of her powers?

(A man can dream).

Hmm, pie.

just to add to this thread, and some of the new posts:

[spoiler tag/] when Korg shows up, I nearly shat my pants in happiness!

Rocket had good moments with Nebula. Character moments.

I love Luv Captain Marvel new hair-do!!

The all-female superhero scene in the final act was 'orchestrated' to reflect the current time and pop culture. I am fine with that, and I get it. Freeze frame and print-into-poster for me please!!

All the Directors, Cast and Crew deserve so much credit for the entire epic film-making saga created for us.

MCU (2008 ~ 2019) >> truly the BEST!! (Golden Era) Great to be alive, and experience these films as they were being made.

Nuff for now...