By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Popular Twitch speedrunner banned for "leaking" the N-Word

Mr Puggsly said:

Your example is just ridiculous and I shouldn't need to explain why. You used pedophilia as your example, you're comparing the use of the n-word with pedophilia. There are actual victims when it comes to sexually exploited children, there are none when the n-word is used. That's why example is objectively dumb.

If history has only been documented for 2000 years then there is a lot of useless information in world history. Granted we make many assumptions but there is plenty to learn about societies from well over 2000 years ago.

People are allowed to be offended by the n-word, but I also feel he shouldn't be treated like racist or a terrible human being in general for using it. The article starts by suggesting he's using hate speech, in reality he was using the word in a neutral manner, in jest.

You don't have to explain to me the reason people over react to the n-word. Also, the problem with your example is Asians and Jews don't call each other "ch**ks" and "y**s." I've never been in public and heard people of those groups use those words. Do I hear black people use the n-word? Yeah, regularly. Partially because they think its funny as does anybody who uses it in jest.

Are you suggesting blacks from Africa and UK are morally superior to US blacks? That sounds kinda racist man, I'm not looking to have that debate. Go take that hate speech elsewhere.

The swastika isn't really used in jest, not a lot of comedy there. But gestures like a Nazi salute and goose stepping can be hilarious!

No the example is fine you just have no counter to hence why you're desperately trying to shift the focus from the actual point you earlier said it was an accident he shouldn't be banned so I gave you another example of a so called accident and asked you if you'd hold the same view and your lack of response to the question has answered it.

He has a history of stupid behaviour that's why people are going at him the are even images of his discord of him and others attacking the trans community and he's had issues at GDQ events as well so ultimately if you keep doing such antics it's going to bite you in the balls.

So because you hear the word from ignorants you think it's okay to use a derogatory slur? Also cut the BS mate I said in UK and Africa the majority of us flat out don't like or use the word as you're trying to go down the "But but black people use it route" most of us don't that's the point the whole morality BS you're trying to manufacture to dig yourself out of a hole is just that BS.

Nazi Salutes are banned in many countries you get charged with offences just for doing them, goose stepping is not particular to Nazi's as it's more a military thing.

Around the Network

Spokentruth said:

Chrizum said:

Such bullshit. White people enjoy black culture as well. Shocking, isn't it? It's pretty common, for white people as well, to use "nigger/nigga" in an amicable way. Someone texting "whaddap my nigga?" to his friend is racist now? Or only when it refers to white people?

What do you mean "now"?  It's always been wrong for white people to use the word.  Please inform me of a time when it was socially acceptable for white people to use the word without it ever having derogatory connotations.

I just provided an example in the post you quoted. Context matters. A person calling another person "nigger" while putting him down is racism. Friends calling eachother "nigga" is not racism. It is in fact anti-racism because in this context it means the same as "dude" or "gangsta" or "homie" and weakens the power of the derogatory term. In black media like hip hop, movies, street culture, etc. "nigger" is often uses in a amicable way. Do you deny this?

REDZONE said:
Chrizum said:

Such bullshit. White people enjoy black culture as well. Shocking, isn't it? It's pretty common, for white people as well, to use "nigger/nigga" in an amicable way. Someone texting "whaddap my nigga?" to his friend is racist now? Or only when it refers to white people?

Are you serious?You think a white person using the word nigger is enjoying black culture?White people made  up the word to discriminate against black people and only black people,that is the sole purpose of the word.So the only BS I am seeing is the one your talking.

It's all about context and intent. In modern black media, "nigger" is often used in a amicable or jokingly fashion, among other ways, it obviously can mean different things in different contexts. Think about hip hop, movies, street culture, etc. I myself am from the Netherlands and the word has less negative connotations then in the USA probably. Black dudes call eachother "nigga" all the time, and even white dudes call eachother that as a replacement for "dude" or "bro".

White people enjoying black culture "hip hop, movies, etc." do use those terms in a positive fashion. To me, that is a much stronger weapon against racism than straight up banning words without taking context into consideration. The latter is a surefire way to frustrate well-willing people who are as much against racism as you are.

It's all about context. Should we ban books like of mice of men and to kill a mocking bird? With that being said, if he was caught saying it offensively, he should be banned.

Last edited by Snoopy - on 23 April 2019

Wyrdness said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Your example is just ridiculous and I shouldn't need to explain why. You used pedophilia as your example, you're comparing the use of the n-word with pedophilia. There are actual victims when it comes to sexually exploited children, there are none when the n-word is used. That's why example is objectively dumb.

If history has only been documented for 2000 years then there is a lot of useless information in world history. Granted we make many assumptions but there is plenty to learn about societies from well over 2000 years ago.

People are allowed to be offended by the n-word, but I also feel he shouldn't be treated like racist or a terrible human being in general for using it. The article starts by suggesting he's using hate speech, in reality he was using the word in a neutral manner, in jest.

You don't have to explain to me the reason people over react to the n-word. Also, the problem with your example is Asians and Jews don't call each other "ch**ks" and "y**s." I've never been in public and heard people of those groups use those words. Do I hear black people use the n-word? Yeah, regularly. Partially because they think its funny as does anybody who uses it in jest.

Are you suggesting blacks from Africa and UK are morally superior to US blacks? That sounds kinda racist man, I'm not looking to have that debate. Go take that hate speech elsewhere.

The swastika isn't really used in jest, not a lot of comedy there. But gestures like a Nazi salute and goose stepping can be hilarious!

No the example is fine you just have no counter to hence why you're desperately trying to shift the focus from the actual point you earlier said it was an accident he shouldn't be banned so I gave you another example of a so called accident and asked you if you'd hold the same view and your lack of response to the question has answered it.

He has a history of stupid behaviour that's why people are going at him the are even images of his discord of him and others attacking the trans community and he's had issues at GDQ events as well so ultimately if you keep doing such antics it's going to bite you in the balls.

So because you hear the word from ignorants you think it's okay to use a derogatory slur? Also cut the BS mate I said in UK and Africa the majority of us flat out don't like or use the word as you're trying to go down the "But but black people use it route" most of us don't that's the point the whole morality BS you're trying to manufacture to dig yourself out of a hole is just that BS.

Nazi Salutes are banned in many countries you get charged with offences just for doing them, goose stepping is not particular to Nazi's as it's more a military thing.

I didn't give a real response because it was a really dumb comparison. I felt mocking your example was sufficient.

I looked up his trans community comments, its not that bad. But maybe something is wrong with me, maybe I'm not offended easily enough. I'm really fine with people saying whatever they want unless its a call for violence. Even when I here progressives say ridiculous crap, I don't really care and I can be friends with them.

Did you just call black people in the US ignorants? Look buddy, I don't know how this works in the UK but that's not cool in the US.

Your example was bad, as usual. You brought up Asians and Jews, but they don't really call each other racial epithets in jest. Many black people, atleast in the US, do use that word in a neutral manner. You can call them "ignorants" but the word is used neutrally. That word being used in a neutral manner encourages other groups to do the same. I'm not really arguing the morality, this is just reality. I think many of us understand he was using it in jest and that's why we aren't bothered.

I can understand why people would be bothered by anything Nazi related, but I really do value freedom. Also, trying to punish people for being racist doesn't actually eliminate racism.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
Mr Puggsly said:

I didn't give a real response because it was a really dumb comparison. I felt mocking your example was sufficient.

I looked up his trans community comments, its not that bad. But maybe something is wrong with me, maybe I'm not offended easily enough. I'm really fine with people saying whatever they want unless its a call for violence. Even when I here progressives say ridiculous crap, I don't really care and I can be friends with them.

Did you just call black people in the US ignorants? Look buddy, I don't know how this works in the UK but that's not cool in the US.

Your example was bad, as usual. You brought up Asians and Jews, but they don't really call each other racial epithets in jest. Many black people, atleast in the US, do use that word in a neutral manner. You can call them "ignorants" but the word is used neutrally. That word being used in a neutral manner encourages other groups to do the same. I'm not really arguing the morality, this is just reality. I think many of us understand he was using it in jest and that's why we aren't bothered.

I can understand why people would be bothered by anything Nazi related, but I really do value freedom. Also, trying to punish people for being racist doesn't actually eliminate racism.

Mocking was your only response because you had no counter that's the point hence why you never answered the question as the answer would either shoot down your earlier point or have you in a position of double standards for not being consistent because end of the day accident or not both are still ban worthy under the TOS and you can't debunk this.

No I called the people who use it casually ignorants if you think that every black person in US does it then it says more about your assumptions than anything, US has people like Ben Carson after all who thinks slaves were people who just immigrated to the US so it wouldn't surprise me if certain groups of people think its use is fine casually as US has a troubled history.

The example was fine you just have no counter to the argument which is apparent it's even more ironic that this very part of your post has cemented my point as you're trying to defend people using it as not ignorant right after you acknowledge Jews and Asians don't call each other by the terms used to demean them for the same reason many blacks don't tolerate the term for themselves. For the majority of black people the is no neutrality on the word it just symbolizes what it was created for a derogatory word to slur an ethnic group go to any majority black country and you won't find one were it's used in how you say as it's flat out offensive in them.

Freedom doesn't mean free of consequence and like I told someone earlier punishment is the only language some people will understand the are many people who know what they're doing is wrong and would keep doing it because of no retribution an example are trolls on social media and even certain people on online services like Live and PSN.

I mean, I will ban anyone on here for using that word. So why shouldn't twitch?

think-man said:
I mean, I will ban anyone on here for using that word. So why shouldn't twitch?

I think the only issue a few people would have throughout this thread and that I would have with this is that the word is banned for use by all members and not have different sets of rules for different skin colours, I'm just finding it tough to get my head around it being so hard to grasp that if you have a rule that only applies to one colour that's a rule based on race... Like "you can say that word, as long as you're not white" is where a call bs. Equal rules and terms should apply to all colours and creeds.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Those saying his use of the word was fine seem to be ignoring the different connotations of the N-word ending with an "a" vs. an "er". When I see a kid who other posts have shown has some definitely bigoted views on the trans community say "sup N-word" with a hard "er" I have a hard time thinking that this is meant to be a "'sup dude" kind of use. Rather, I think it's obvious he's using it in a "'sup loser" ribbing kind of way. Similar to when people would say "'sub gaylord" or something like that to their friends. Now obviously the act of ribbing a friend is not inherently bad in my mind, but the terms you use to insult one another can be hurtful to other groups even if that's not your intention. Similar to how one shouldn't say something is "gay" when what they mean is "bad" or "lame" because that comes with the implicit understanding that gay is synonymous with bad and that might not be how you mean it, but it's an easy and obvious interpretation that you should see coming a mile away if you give your words any thought at all. People decry the "PC" culture, but honestly for the most part it boils down to "don't be an asshole" and you'll be fine. Sure it can go too far, but I think this particular application of it was totally fine.

NightlyPoe said:
collint0101 said:

If you don't understand the difference I feel like you're too dumb to understand even if someone took the time to explain it too you. 

User warned - Bristow9091

Double standards don't benefit anyone.  It's appropriate to look down on anyone using such language.

I do look down on anyone that uses the word. I'm black and I don't say it and I would greatly prefer if other black people avoided using it but white people definitely shouldn't use it