By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Popular Twitch speedrunner banned for "leaking" the N-Word

SpokenTruth said:
o_O.Q said:

"It's not about liking black people, it's about respecting black people.  If you cannot respect an oppressed group, a disparaged group, a subjugated group by not using the very term that was invented to denigrate said group...what kind of person does that make you?"

1). respect does not work collectively, that's a silly notion that you do not believe in so why would i believe in it?

you just a few threads ago were searching desperately(and failing) to find a justifiable reason to tear candace owens(an oppressed women of color - the white whale of the social justice narrative) down, where was this nonsensical notion of respecting all of the members of a group then?

no one believes in respecting all members of any group

there are black people that i do not respect, there are white people that i do not respect and so on and so on

"Simply put...if you know the word is bad (and how can you really not know this) and use it anyway, even just jokingly, you are being exceptionally disrespectful."

2). to who? people that are not part of the conversation?

Now I remember why I blocked you.  Now I'm trying to remember why I unblocked you.

1). *sigh*. So your default position is don't respect anybody?  I mean that kind of says a lot. 

So you have no recognition for the connotation of that word at all?  You take the position that everyone be damned first and who cares what is derogatory?

Are you also trying to say that I have to respect Candace Owens no matter what she does or says simply because she a member of the African American group? Are you conflating collective respect and individual respect?  I think so.  And that again says a lot.

And I'm rather lost on how you can say, "Respect does not work collectively, that's a silly notion that you do not believe in...." How can you tell me what notions I do or do not believe in? Especially regarding this issue whereby you don't understand the difference been group and individual respect. 

2). Yes.  It's a word that should not be part of their utilized vocabulary.  Out of respect for the pain, suffering, subjugation and death that word has brought upon millions of people. But I don't expect you to respect their history.

"So your default position is don't respect anybody?"

"You take the position that everyone be damned first and who cares what is derogatory?"

i didn't say that, i said that respect does not work collectively and you agreed with me since you implied that you do not view candace owens as being worthy of respect despite her belonging to an oppressed group

you don't see how this invalidates your argument?

i think anybody who has even a modicum of common sense assesses people as individuals and determines based on their individual qualities whether they are worthy of respect or not, so they disregard groupings initially and end up with people they respect and people they do not respect regardless of characteristics such as race

the people who do not do that and instead resort to using groupings such as "race" or "sex" or whatever to determine who is worthy of respect are ironically people who i would think we call racists, sexists and so forth

" "Respect does not work collectively, that's a silly notion that you do not believe in...." How can you tell me what notions I do or do not believe in?"

because i've observed your behavior and i gave an example of an occasion where you demonstrated what i'm alluding to

"Out of respect for the pain, suffering, subjugation and death that word has brought upon millions of people."

this is possibly the silliest thing i've read in this entire thread

" I don't expect you to respect their history."

yeah buddy keep denying that i'm black all you want, doesn't change reality and the irony of it is fairly amusing i must admit

Around the Network

The thing is the N word doesnt even carry a stigma of racism with it (at least towards the younger generations). Its more of a curse word than anything else these days. I don't know how many times I have been called the n-word by different people and in no ways is my skin even close to being black. The semantic range of this word has changed drastically over the years. The only people I ever hear linking the N word to slavery or racism are usually older liberals.

我是广州人

Wyrdness said:
Mr Puggsly said:

I think we can agree breaking the rules and accidents are actually different things. Which is why not everything that happens on live TV for example is treated the same.

Brushing it off as a jest is as bad as witch hunting? No, because witch hunting is intended to hurt someone for something relatively minor in this case.

So people say the n-word in jest one moment, then its tyranny over the country next? When you speak like that, you come off as a person truly out of touch with reality.

We live in the of the most peaceful eras ever, I believe it can withstand the n-word used in jest. But again, I said warning the guy would be fine because of bullshit rules. We don't have to exaggerate what happened here and create a slippery slope scenario.

If someone accidentally showed indecent images of kids on stream would you be here brushing it off as it was an accident they only do it in their own time? No because you know how wrong what they're doing is as a precedent has been set in that it's unacceptable no matter what same thing here which is why brushing it of as in jest is just as bad because you're encouraging such use of a term among others given it's history.

We also do not live in the most peaceful era this planet has been around for billions of years I'm willing to bet we're far from the most peaceful era and using that to justify use of the word makes you part of the problem. You still haven't answered why he'd be using the word as well especially as the person he was talking to is confirmed to be Carcinogen who condemned the use of it.

Oh boy! I genuinely laughed reading that first sentence. You just compared the use of the n-word to pedophilia. That's the slippery slope guys, first the n-word gets used then kids get raped. Does anybody take you seriously with weak arguments like this?

I meant to say we live in one of the most peaceful eras ever. If you're familiar with world history or crime statistics, you'd understand what I'm saying. I was just focused on the eras of human civilizations really...

I'm not really justifying use of the word. I just don't want to treat people like pariahs for using it, I genuinely feel its harmless. Nobody was affected by his use of the n-word. The history of the word isn't the problem, slavery and segregation didn't happen because of the n-word.

Here's the thing, the n-word is used in a neutral manner by some (potentially many) black people. That's how he was using it, but you would have to think for two seconds to understand that. Frankly, I'm around black people often. Its kinda bizarre how freely they use that word, they're the problem, not me.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

It's really ironic that the people who use the word "racism" the most have no idea what it actually means.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

SpokenTruth said:

Cobretti2 said:

lol at least there was a word.

I am banned for 3 months from YouTube because i used big bash in my title for a live stream event. Some dodgy Indian scammer company raised a copyright strike on it and YouTube basically said fuck you. Even when I challenged it, it has been under review for 2 months lol. The strike will expire quicker I think.

Was your video or title also using the word "League" in it?  If it did, they had a legal standing to claim infringement.  That's the name of an Indian Cricket league.

Nah was called 2017/18/19 Cricket BBL Big Bash #903 - Live Box Break (17/02/2019)

Around the Network
Mr Puggsly said:

Oh boy! I genuinely laughed reading that first sentence. You just compared the use of the n-word to pedophilia. That's the slippery slope guys, first the n-word gets used then kids get raped. Does anybody take you seriously with weak arguments like this?

I meant to say we live in one of the most peaceful eras ever. If you're familiar with world history or crime statistics, you'd understand what I'm saying. I was just focused on the eras of human civilizations really...

I'm not really justifying use of the word. I just don't want to treat people like pariahs for using it, I genuinely feel its harmless. Nobody was affected by his use of the n-word. The history of the word isn't the problem, slavery and segregation didn't happen because of the n-word.

Here's the thing, the n-word is used in a neutral manner by some (potentially many) black people. That's how he was using it, but you would have to think for two seconds to understand that. Frankly, I'm around black people often. Its kinda bizarre how freely they use that word, they're the problem, not me.

Sidestepping doesn't debunk the point in fact you just reinforce because the example is both of someone doing something wrong and accidentally showing it only you know you can't come up with a defence for the example so instead side step it as you know if one is bad regardless of being shown on accident then so is the other.

World history is only documented for around 2000 years not even a blink compared to the billion of years this planet has existed and much of that documentation is limited to a few certain regions.

Except you are justifying its use by having a problem with people unhappy with its use even this part of your post highlights a key problem with people who defend its use the word is rooted in history as part of slavery and segregation as it was derogatory and that's how many of us see it want to see how much words mean go ahead and casually call East Asian people ch**ks or Jews as y**s and see how that ends for you. People who say but black people say it or I hang around blacks remind me of the same people who say but some of my best friends are black no dude I'm black and the majority of us don't use the word here in the UK and see it as offensive especially in Africa where most of us are from and have family there you hanging out with some ignorants in US doesn't change that for many of us the word has no place casual or not.

Saying the word is harmless you may as well say the swastika is harmless because it's an inverted Hindu sign but guess what that and even the latter resembling it is removed from any media for exactly the same reason people have a problem with the n word it still heavily symbolizes something harmful.

Last edited by Wyrdness - on 23 April 2019

Ashadelo said:

The thing is the N word doesnt even carry a stigma of racism with it (at least towards the younger generations). Its more of a curse word than anything else these days. I don't know how many times I have been called the n-word by different people and in no ways is my skin even close to being black. The semantic range of this word has changed drastically over the years. The only people I ever hear linking the N word to slavery or racism are usually older liberals.

Would you agree with me that some curse words are inherently problematic? the N-word only works as a slur or curse if being black has a negative connotation, the same goes for words like faggot or if you make fun of someone based on his appearence.

Now I'm not saying everyone has to stop using these words, if you're together with friends and you know that non of your friends get insulted by them or holds bigoted believes, it is ok to use them. But if you're in front of strangers or a larger crowed(like a streamer) it isn't ok.

Wyrdness said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Sidestepping doesn't debunk the point in fact you just reinforce because the example is both of someone doing something wrong and accidentally showing it only you know you can't come up with a defence for the example so instead side step it as you know if one is bad regardless of being shown on accident then so is the other.

World history is only documented for around 2000 years not even a blink compared to the billion of years this planet has existed and much of that documentation is limited to a few certain regions.

Except you are justifying its use by having a problem with people unhappy with its use even this part of your post highlights a key problem with people who defend its use the word is rooted in history as part of slavery and segregation as it was derogatory and that's how many of us see it want to see how much words mean go ahead and casually call East Asian people ch**ks or Jews as y**s and see how that ends for you. People who say but black people say it or I hang around blacks remind me of the same people who say but some of my best friends are black no dude I'm black and the majority of us don't use the word here in the UK and see it as offensive especially in Africa were most of us are from you hanging out with some ignorants in US doesn't change that for many of us the word has no place casual or not.

Saying the word is harmless you may as well say the swastika is harmless because it's an inverted Hindu sign but guess what that and even the latter resembling it is removed from any media for exactly the same reason people have a problem with the n word it still heavily symbolizes something harmful.

The swatztika is currently being used as slang but primarily a social media tag in Japan. Does that mean, it's been taken back then? Much like how people use the n word? How the music industry uses it?

https://www.kotaku.com.au/2018/01/the-buddhist-swastika-becomes-popular-slang-in-japan/

It seems to me that it is indeed being used... Harmlessly.

Context and intent matter.

ironmanDX said:

The swatztika is currently being used as slang but primarily a social media tag in Japan. Does that mean, it's been taken back then? Much like how people use the n word? How the music industry uses it?

https://www.kotaku.com.au/2018/01/the-buddhist-swastika-becomes-popular-slang-in-japan/

It seems to me that it is indeed being used... Harmlessly.

Context and intent matter.

That's the Buddhist sign not the Swastika, Buddhism is a major religion in Japan with 34% of the population being Buddhist so they know very well of the symbol Japan how ever never dealt with any Nazi atrocities so the symbols resemblance to the Swastika is not as big issue there as it is in the west where it is removed want an example look up the animes Bleach and Naruto they removed the Buddhist symbol in all the animated adaptions due to its resemblance to the Swastika as the animes would be localized.

The music industry's use of the word is also not harmless it's one of the most harmful uses out there with ignorant rappers promoting not just negative stereotypes but also the word's use in songs is far from positive so no your context argument is flawed.

Wyrdness said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Except you are justifying its use by having a problem with people unhappy with its use even this part of your post highlights a key problem with people who defend its use the word is rooted in history as part of slavery and segregation as it was derogatory and that's how many of us see it want to see how much words mean go ahead and casually call East Asian people ch**ks or Jews as y**s and see how that ends for you. People who say but black people say it or I hang around blacks remind me of the same people who say but some of my best friends are black no dude I'm black and the majority of us don't use the word here in the UK and see it as offensive especially in Africa were most of us are from you hanging out with some ignorants in US doesn't change that for many of us the word has no place casual or not.

Your example is just ridiculous and I shouldn't need to explain why. You used pedophilia as your example, you're comparing the use of the n-word with pedophilia. There are actual victims when it comes to sexually exploited children, there are none when the n-word is used. That's why example is objectively dumb.

If history has only been documented for 2000 years then there is a lot of useless information in world history. Granted we make many assumptions but there is plenty to learn about societies from well over 2000 years ago.

People are allowed to be offended by the n-word, but I also feel he shouldn't be treated like racist or a terrible human being in general for using it. The article starts by suggesting he's using hate speech, in reality he was using the word in a neutral manner, in jest.

You don't have to explain to me the reason people over react to the n-word. Also, the problem with your example is Asians and Jews don't call each other "ch**ks" and "y**s." I've never been in public and heard people of those groups use those words. Do I hear black people use the n-word? Yeah, regularly. Partially because they think its funny as does anybody who uses it in jest.

Are you suggesting blacks from Africa and UK are morally superior to US blacks? That sounds kinda racist man, I'm not looking to have that debate. Go take that hate speech elsewhere.

The swastika isn't really used in jest, not a lot of comedy there. But gestures like a Nazi salute and goose stepping can be hilarious!

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)