By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS5 Confirmed Backward Compatibility

Trumpstyle said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

Too expensive, they won't do that. Even a 1 TB SSD costs about twice what a 2TB HDD would cost. It's still too soon for SSD in consoles. A Mid-gen upgrade could use them, though, but not the OG in 2020.

Dude it has already been confirmed it will be a ssd :) by mark cerny haha

Edit: 1TB SSD is not twice as expensive, right now it's 100$+ on newegg, a laptop 2TB is 85$, this is the reason why I knew SSD was 100% certain. People who predicted a mechanical drive didn't understand that Microsoft and Sony won't use a DESKTOP HDD and laptop HDD isn't so cheap.

We have 96-layer flash storage in production right now that I expect will drive prices for flash storage further down second half of this year and 128-layer flash storage will hit production this summer and drive prices down further next year.

85$? Newegg is expensive for those, apparently. I got 60€ on Alternate, Vat included. But the price of an 1TB SSD is about the same, somewhat over 100€, but the cheapest ones had shitty transfer speeds for SSD. Actually usable ones started at over 120€, so twice the price.

An SSD will be included in the build, but I don't expect it to be the main storage. I expect it to be used similarly to StoreMI on AMD 4xx Motherboards, where you can couple a small SSD with any HDD to achieve near SSD speeds for the whole package, as the SSD is mainly used as chache. But that only works on the second and subsequent runs, as it needs the first one to know what to cache.

Anything else would make the build too expensive, like I said before a 2TB SSD (in the interview he also talks about expanding storage, so certainly more than 1TByte) would cost around 250$, that's just too expensive right now.

Around the Network

I feel like this will be a bigger generational leap than last. Not necessarily in visuals but in user experience, which is far more important. The SSD <3

I also think will be far more interesting to see how developers ultilise the hardware. Native 4k vs Ray traycing vs 1080p Ultra Settings vs 1080-1440p 60fps. I'm personally hoping many devs still work with "lower" 1080p resolutions to deliver HQ visuals.

Last edited by Otter - on 16 April 2019

Marth said:
All of these specs could turn out pretty expensive.

Very much so. That won't be a $399 console anymore. Possibly why they keep the price for the PS4 on $299, they might be loosing much money initially on every PS5 sold and are filling their war chest now.

I really hope we see more than just PS4 BC. I know it takes time and effort away from pure PS5 development, but honestly they could slap an FPGA on the thing and have the best BC we've ever had outside of slapping mini SOCs of the old consoles. I would settle for just PS1 and PS2 honestly. PS2 would be a really boon. PS1 can be played on all PS3s, sure, but I would like to save my PS3 for actually PS3 games to prolong its life. PS3 BC I think is the big hurdle that will probably have to wait until PS6, PS7 or never if we are full cloud all the time at that point.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

CGI-Quality said:
DonFerrari said:

Considering the balancing of the system and that the "sensible" configuration you were talking in other threads being over 399 cost I would say this one probaly cost 599 but will be sold at 449 at launch.

Yeah, it'll likely be a $550-$600 machine intially sold at a loss (PSN and Plus will make up for this, however). Still, I don't rule out a $399 option, especially given, like I said, we don't know clock speeds or how much RAM is in it. 

But, unless you want this company to find themselves with another PS3, no one should expect anything higher than $499.

I'm all in for a 399 pricetag even if costing 599 to make (much better situation than PS3 costing 800 and selling for 499 and 599 both to customer and sony as it is less loss and components that will drop in price better than PS3 had plus PSN can help a lot). The better HW they can ship for 399 pricetag the best for their plan.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
Marth said:
All of these specs could turn out pretty expensive.

Mid-Late 2020 $499 with $100 loss per console sounds about right to me.  Some things can be a bit deceptive in terms of how expensive we think something might be.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

pitzy272 said:

Happy with everything I’m seeing, but I do worry about the price and lack of a discless option. In IGN’s article, it’s said:

“We also finally get confirmation that the console will still accept physical media, rather than taking a download-only or streaming-only form.”

This sounds to me like Sony will only have one console option, but I think having a digital/streaming only option is really important to lower the cost of entry for people.

Sony will be eating a lot of the cost on the console. Like 150-200 USD, removing the driver would only make it 20USD cheaper or so, not something that will lower cost barrier, at most they could do a smaller console for a little cheaper but nothing that would really affect sales.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

Bofferbrauer2 said:
Trumpstyle said:

Dude it has already been confirmed it will be a ssd :) by mark cerny haha

Edit: 1TB SSD is not twice as expensive, right now it's 100$+ on newegg, a laptop 2TB is 85$, this is the reason why I knew SSD was 100% certain. People who predicted a mechanical drive didn't understand that Microsoft and Sony won't use a DESKTOP HDD and laptop HDD isn't so cheap.

We have 96-layer flash storage in production right now that I expect will drive prices for flash storage further down second half of this year and 128-layer flash storage will hit production this summer and drive prices down further next year.

85$? Newegg is expensive for those, apparently. I got 60€ on Alternate, Vat included. But the price of an 1TB SSD is about the same, somewhat over 100€, but the cheapest ones had shitty transfer speeds for SSD. Actually usable ones started at over 120€, so twice the price.

An SSD will be included in the build, but I don't expect it to be the main storage. I expect it to be used similarly to StoreMI on AMD 4xx Motherboards, where you can couple a small SSD with any HDD to achieve near SSD speeds for the whole package, as the SSD is mainly used as chache. But that only works on the second and subsequent runs, as it needs the first one to know what to cache.

Anything else would make the build too expensive, like I said before a 2TB SSD (in the interview he also talks about expanding storage, so certainly more than 1TByte) would cost around 250$, that's just too expensive right now.

https://www.alternate.be/Seagate/BarraCuda-2-TB-Harde-schijf/html/product/1307667?lk=6075

85€, the 60€ was a desktop one not a laptop.

Even though the article don't exactly dispel the HDD/SSD combo, it's just clear it will be a SSD only.

6x master league achiever in starcraft2

Beaten Sigrun on God of war mode

Beaten DOOM ultra-nightmare with NO endless ammo-rune, 2x super shotgun and no decoys on ps4 pro.

1-0 against Grubby in Wc3 frozen throne ladder!!

I wonder how this will compare to Stadia, spec-wise.

spemanig said:
I wonder how this will compare to Stadia, spec-wise.

theoretical or real world...

From what we heard from stadia it seems to be about X1X level of power, while this seems to be about double (on raw number, performance will be much higher).

On real world with latency, bandwidth and all else Stadia will be lower than full HD, this will be about 4K (capable of 8K output per the interview).