By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS5 Confirmed Backward Compatibility

Zkuq said:
Sounds good so far. Well, I'm a bit skeptical about the SSD part because of what is still a fairly painful capacity-price ratio, but it's not terrible anymore and it's only going to get better.

I think it it will be a dedicated nand flash drive that attach to the motherboard and only using small amount of size (32 - 64 ) . So it wont affect main HDD. And they will probably still using normal HDD to store the game.  

Around the Network

Next gen is gonna render my PC a potato.

Nintendo is selling their IPs to Microsoft and this is true because:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=221391&page=1

HollyGamer said:
Zkuq said:
Sounds good so far. Well, I'm a bit skeptical about the SSD part because of what is still a fairly painful capacity-price ratio, but it's not terrible anymore and it's only going to get better.

I think it it will be a dedicated nand flash drive that attach to the motherboard and only using small amount of size (32 - 64 ) . So it wont affect main HDD. And they will probably still using normal HDD to store the game.  

I don't think it will be quite that small.  If the only intent is to speed up the OS and the currently playing game I'd still say it would be 128GB min.  However, I think more likely it will be OS + a few games that you can choose to load/offload as you want, so probably 500GB to 1TB.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

Trumpstyle said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

85$? Newegg is expensive for those, apparently. I got 60€ on Alternate, Vat included. But the price of an 1TB SSD is about the same, somewhat over 100€, but the cheapest ones had shitty transfer speeds for SSD. Actually usable ones started at over 120€, so twice the price.

An SSD will be included in the build, but I don't expect it to be the main storage. I expect it to be used similarly to StoreMI on AMD 4xx Motherboards, where you can couple a small SSD with any HDD to achieve near SSD speeds for the whole package, as the SSD is mainly used as chache. But that only works on the second and subsequent runs, as it needs the first one to know what to cache.

Anything else would make the build too expensive, like I said before a 2TB SSD (in the interview he also talks about expanding storage, so certainly more than 1TByte) would cost around 250$, that's just too expensive right now.

https://www.alternate.be/Seagate/BarraCuda-2-TB-Harde-schijf/html/product/1307667?lk=6075

85€, the 60€ was a desktop one not a laptop.

Even though the article don't exactly dispel the HDD/SSD combo, it's just clear it will be a SSD only.

€55.5

HollyGamer said:
o_O.Q said:
how powerful is the gpu in this thing going to be compared to gtx1080?

We don't know yet , but probably it will be safe to say at least it will be equal. Because Sony are aiming 4K at 60 frames/ second . To run modern graphic games at that quality and performance it need at least GTX 1080 or Vega 64 level or even above (GTX 1080 Ti). 

ok fair enough

Around the Network
dharh said:
HollyGamer said:

I don't think it will be quite that small.  If the only intent is to speed up the OS and the currently playing game I'd still say it would be 128GB min.  However, I think more likely it will be OS + a few games that you can choose to load/offload as you want, so probably 500GB to 1TB.

It will be like Intel Optane, it's will just functioning as temporary memory enhancement  , so it will not require more than 128 GB . So probably PS5 will have normal HDD or even probably an SSHD + nand flash memory like Intel optane 

V-r0cK said:
Will this be the end of remasters that are only 1 gen apart?? lol

If indeed this is true then honestly this is great news as my backlog is taking awhile to complete but would love to move forward as well.

It will be, at least in the traditional sense. I think Sony is going to push their patent on remasters through emulation. So, if you have a PS4 game, it will play like on a PS4 Pro. However, you can pay extra, maybe $10-$20, and buy a patch that puts in much higher quality assets, making it close to a PS5 game.

@ OP

Hot damn, can't wait. PS5 is going to be a beast. Hopefully, we also get B/C with other PS systems. Otherwise, they are just wasted space on the PS Store.

It also seems they are waiting til 2020 so prices fall and they can offer this baby for $449-$499.  Probably going to be a lot of used PS4s floating around, since people will be selling them to buy a PS5.

Last edited by thismeintiel - on 16 April 2019

HollyGamer said:
dharh said:

It will be like Intel Optane, it's will just functioning as temporary memory enhancement  , so it will not require more than 128 GB . So probably PS5 will have normal HDD or even probably an SSHD + nand flash memory like Intel optane 

Does it even need to include fancy memory?

Compare the average speed of a common 2.5'' 5400 rpm HDD (120 mbps) to a modern SSD (3000 mbps+) and the results are as good or even more impressive than what has been shown with Spiderman in the article. So far, what has been demonstrated and implied is consistent with a standard SSHD solution.

Now we are talking.
I hope is not 500$.

V-r0cK said:
Will this be the end of remasters that are only 1 gen apart?? lol

If indeed this is true then honestly this is great news as my backlog is taking awhile to complete but would love to move forward as well.

I think at least some publishers might sell remaster patches instead, we'll see.