By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS5 Confirmed Backward Compatibility

vivster said:

"Even opening a door can take over a minute, depending on what’s on the other side and how much more data the game needs to load."
Really? Already building up to the "Revolution" of SSD by making HDDs look worse than they are.

But it's correct, HDDs are completely useless, you're suppose to know stuff. Try play World of warcraft on HDDs, its not possible. You get loading times that are between 1-2 minutes and the game lags for several minutes after, this with the fastest HDD that exist, western digital black desktop mechanical drive. While on a ssd the game will load in 5 seconds and no lag whatsoever after.

I said 2 months ago it's 100% certain that the next-gen consoles will have a SSD or NVMe drive (1TB) and I was correct.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmGtb24aumA

Proves my point, HDD is useless.

6x master league achiever in starcraft2

Beaten Sigrun on God of war mode

Beaten DOOM ultra-nightmare with NO endless ammo-rune, 2x super shotgun and no decoys on ps4 pro.

1-0 against Grubby in Wc3 frozen throne ladder!!

Around the Network

Totally hyped, especially the part of SSD, one of the biggest problems annoying me in this gen is texture pop-in and long load time, this is gonna be a revolution of console gaming to me.

Bofferbrauer2 said:

Keep in mind that they said in the past that BC was an often asked, but rarely used feature, so not sure if they really will implement it.

That doesn't sound right. Sounds like spiel used to justify why PS4 couldn't work with PS3 games or why PS2 tech was removed from PS3 but PS1 emulation was left in.

BC helps with the transition period a lot. I would love to be able to play some of my PS3 games even now without having to turn it on again, plus i wouldn't have had to buy Minecraft twice. It also helps with lack of library at the start of a gen, people knowing they can just buy older games to play on their new console because they work knowing new games will come soon.

Sony and MS will only benefit from adding BC because of the reasons above. Having one library which works over gens can surely be nothing but a good thing as it can get people to buy your console without worry early on instead of waiting until a decent library is released for it. 

Last edited by The Fury - on 16 April 2019

Hmm, pie.

Trumpstyle said:
vivster said:

"Even opening a door can take over a minute, depending on what’s on the other side and how much more data the game needs to load."
Really? Already building up to the "Revolution" of SSD by making HDDs look worse than they are.

But it's correct, HDDs are completely useless, you're suppose to know stuff. Try play World of warcraft on HDDs, its not possible. You get loading times that are between 1-2 minutes and the game lags for several minutes after, this with the fastest HDD that exist, western digital black desktop mechanical drive. While on a ssd the game will load in 5 seconds and no lag whatsoever after.

I said 2 months ago it's 100% certain that the next-gen consoles will have a SSD or NVMe drive (1TB) and I was correct.

Too expensive, they won't do that. Even a 1 TB SSD costs about twice what a 2TB HDD would cost. It's still too soon for SSD in consoles. A Mid-gen upgrade could use them, though, but not the OG in 2020.

Bofferbrauer2 said:
Trumpstyle said:

Too expensive, they won't do that. Even a 1 TB SSD costs about twice what a 2TB HDD would cost. It's still too soon for SSD in consoles. A Mid-gen upgrade could use them, though, but not the OG in 2020.

Dude it has already been confirmed it will be a ssd :) by mark cerny haha

Edit: 1TB SSD is not twice as expensive, right now it's 100$+ on newegg, a laptop 2TB is 85$, this is the reason why I knew SSD was 100% certain. People who predicted a mechanical drive didn't understand that Microsoft and Sony won't use a DESKTOP HDD and laptop HDD isn't so cheap.

We have 96-layer flash storage in production right now that I expect will drive prices for flash storage further down second half of this year and 128-layer flash storage will hit production this summer and drive prices down further next year.

Last edited by Trumpstyle - on 16 April 2019

6x master league achiever in starcraft2

Beaten Sigrun on God of war mode

Beaten DOOM ultra-nightmare with NO endless ammo-rune, 2x super shotgun and no decoys on ps4 pro.

1-0 against Grubby in Wc3 frozen throne ladder!!

Around the Network

Happy with everything I’m seeing, but I do worry about the price and lack of a discless option. In IGN’s article, it’s said:

“We also finally get confirmation that the console will still accept physical media, rather than taking a download-only or streaming-only form.”

This sounds to me like Sony will only have one console option, but I think having a digital/streaming only option is really important to lower the cost of entry for people.

looks more and more a launch early 2021 each time i reread

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

kirby007 said:
looks more and more a launch early 2021 each time i reread

Hmm, you may well be right. But then again, 2020 would be empty.

CGI-Quality said:
In this case at least (though I'm sure Xbox will also have it now), I was wrong about Raytracing (though we'd need to see more). Hearing that it'll pack an SSD faster than my PC is capable of is the bananas part! O_O

At first I was thinking M.2.  But if this is right it might be either a proprietary on motherboard set of chips or drive, or uses a non yet standard next gen spec.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

pitzy272 said:

Happy with everything I’m seeing, but I do worry about the price and lack of a discless option. In IGN’s article, it’s said:

“We also finally get confirmation that the console will still accept physical media, rather than taking a download-only or streaming-only form.”

This sounds to me like Sony will only have one console option, but I think having a digital/streaming only option is really important to lower the cost of entry for people.

Realistically a disc drive isn't going to make that big of a difference. The low entry price is going to come in the form of the PS4 still being on the market for $199, 90% of early PS5 games being cross-gen with PS4 and PS Now means PS4 can be their streaming device.