By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Super Mario Odyssey getting VR support with Nintendo Labo

Oh dear...this would be funny if it wasn't sad.
John Carmack few years ago warned about cheap attempts at VR being potentially quite dangerous to future mass market adaptation, and I can't honestly think of the worst VR attempt than this one.

Around the Network
HoloDust said:
John Carmack few years ago warned about cheap attempts at VR being potentially quite dangerous to future mass market adaptation, and I can't honestly think of the worst VR attempt than this one.

Cant be anyworse then sticking a samsung s4 up tonyour face in the original gear vr can it.

Nogamez said:
HoloDust said:

Cant be anyworse then sticking a samsung s4 up tonyour face in the original gear vr can it.

Yes it can and it is. GearVR has both face cushions and strap, Labo VR doesn't have either. Plus GearVR is run by Oculus software...and I'd say they kinda have some experience with VR.

GearVR is exactly what I would consider bad showcase for VR gaming...it's fine for media consumption, and that's about it.

LaboVR is just another money grab for...naive.

Hiku said:
Otter said:
There are dozens of hands on impressions which confirm the obvious, the resolution is absolutely workable.

“Sticking the Switch’s 720p resolution screen right up to your face has about the expected result: it’s pretty blurry, but not to a level that it impedes your enjoyment of the games”

But Breath of the Wild runs at 30fps. (And it had issues in some areas.)
To make it 60fps they'd have to lower the resolution even more.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Sony don't allow VR games to be released unless they have rock solid 60fps, because if they don't they can cause nausea?

So will Breath of the Wild be 30fps or lower?

The above hands on wasn't for Zelda in particular, so I can't comment on that. The point was more at those who are still caught up on the fact the Switch doesn't have a super high end screen.

The FPS is a concern for Zelda, I doubt they'd achieve 60fps with or without a resolution drop. Potentially Switch's display is tad more forgiving on FPS since its further away and not per eye.

HoloDust said:

Plenty of people have already had a go on Labo VR & impressions are pretty positive. For now this is a fun and accessible gimmick aimed at kids which showcases potential, its not intended for lengthy play. Consumers will obviously now the difference between a cardbard box and whatever shiny $300 VR devices hit the market in the future. And of course its not aimed at hardcore tech enthuast who is willing throw big money at a headset

"I had reservations about Nintendo’s jump into VR. Though Nintendo has never been the company to try to follow trends, it has fumbled in the past when it comes to creating products that appeal to a broader fan-base. Nintendo Labo VR seemed like it could’ve been one of those products, but if my short time with it is anything to go by, it seems like a complimentary addition to the Nintendo Switch with tremendous potential for the future. You won’t spend hours upon hours playing it, but it’s a fun gadget with a lot of potential."

https://www.digitaltrends.com/game-reviews/nintendo-labo-vr-kit-review/

"The games generally felt good, and I was into them enough that I’d want to try them all more. "

https://kotaku.com/nintendos-switch-vr-games-have-a-little-bit-of-ninten-1833480930

"Nintendo Labo VR is a brilliantly basic virtual reality experience"

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/nintendo-labo-vr-hands-on

Around the Network

"John Carmack few years ago warned about cheap attempts at VR being potentially quite dangerous to future mass market adaptation"

and this hurts Nintendo how exactly?

If Nintendo's Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild cant persuade people to get into VR at such a low price point (even if it's 15FPS) then nothing will.

OT: What's the timeline of Labo-VR v new Switch model? I assume any new Switch SKU will be able to play Nintendo's Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild at higher FPS out of the box.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!