By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Monolith Soft currently recruiting staff for an entry in The Legend of Zelda series

S.Peelman said:
CaptainExplosion said:

All I was saying is that Breath of The Wild was the better Zelda game overall, I didn't even think about that.

I don’t think that’s really because of Monolith though. They’re just doing some grunt work. Both games are all Aonuma, Fujibayashi and their lead designers.

Compare Xenoblade X open world design and BOTW one side by side, yes, Monolith did all of it. There is a reason why 60% people of the A team and Kyoto studio had to help them while only 40% people (B team) made Xenoblade 2

Last edited by HoangNhatAnh - on 02 April 2019

Around the Network
Wyrdness said:
Jumpin said:

The topographical map work done by Monolithsoft Tokyo was a key element in Breath of the Wild's success. The XCX team was uniquely talented at the vertical map design and development.

Key element but far from the only one as the are also things like NPC interactions, physics, structural design, A.I. interaction etc... Building a good map is one achievement but the is still a lot more required to make a great game world especially one on BOTW's level otherwise FFXV would be seen as a masterpiece as well.

Agree about those things, however, Monolith helped them a lot. 60% people of their main team and Kyoto studio were moved to BOTW. Meanwhile, only 40% people left (B team) made Xenoblade 2. Now compare Xenoblade X to BOTW open world design side by side, yeah, they are all Monolith Soft

Should be an amazing game as i am currently enjoying xenoblade chronicles on the switch!

HoangNhatAnh said:
Wyrdness said:

Key element but far from the only one as the are also things like NPC interactions, physics, structural design, A.I. interaction etc... Building a good map is one achievement but the is still a lot more required to make a great game world especially one on BOTW's level otherwise FFXV would be seen as a masterpiece as well.

Agree about those things, however, Monolith helped them a lot. 60% people of their main team and Kyoto studio were moved to BOTW. Meanwhile, only 40% people left (B team) made Xenoblade 2. Now compare Xenoblade X to BOTW open world design side by side, yeah, they are all Monolith Soft

The's more to a game then the map design that's the point 60% of Monolith is still not even one tenth the size of the EPD team as Monolith are only 200 people compared to EPD's 5000 in total it's very likely EPD just had them design the map and the Zelda team did everything else.

Wyrdness said:
HoangNhatAnh said:

The's more to a game then the map design that's the point 60% of Monolith is still not even one tenth the size of the EPD team as Monolith are only 200 people compared to EPD's 5000 in total it's very likely EPD just had them design the map and the Zelda team did everything else.

Exactly, there is a reason why Xenoblade 2 was somewhat incomplete with buggy, low resolution and choppy fps. Because all the people of the main team were moved to BTW. Now, if Nintendo didn't use their support, i wonder if EPD could make open world BOTW alone since the only people who could make good open world with great design in big scale while didn't feel empty at that moment are Monolith. Compare both XCX and BOTW open world side by side, almost identical

Around the Network

After reviewing what everybody's said in this thread, I think I'm going to hope that the XCX team is doing the bulk of the work, that they are designing the next Zelda's map, and that this job posting is for the Kyoto team, who are supporting/polishing the work XCX team is doing.

I am also hoping that master map design is a latter segment of the development cycle - that Nintendo is fully past concept development, storywriting, engine development, asset creation, and maybe even dungeon design. Nothing really exists to tell me that they're at that point except that there's a reasonable bit of logic to say that map design could follow all that work - I just hope we're not seeing this job posting because we're at an early stage, because that would suck. If they've completed all/most of what I said above, it's plausible we could see the game as early as next year. If they're still at the beginning of the dev cycle with the game, as a whole, then we're almost certainly not seeing it until '22.

SW-5120-1900-6153

thetonestarr said:

After reviewing what everybody's said in this thread, I think I'm going to hope that the XCX team is doing the bulk of the work, that they are designing the next Zelda's map, and that this job posting is for the Kyoto team, who are supporting/polishing the work XCX team is doing.

I am also hoping that master map design is a latter segment of the development cycle - that Nintendo is fully past concept development, storywriting, engine development, asset creation, and maybe even dungeon design. Nothing really exists to tell me that they're at that point except that there's a reasonable bit of logic to say that map design could follow all that work - I just hope we're not seeing this job posting because we're at an early stage, because that would suck. If they've completed all/most of what I said above, it's plausible we could see the game as early as next year. If they're still at the beginning of the dev cycle with the game, as a whole, then we're almost certainly not seeing it until '22.

How about no? Now we need Xenoblade X Switch Edition and Xenoblade X2, take a team from a new studio in Tokyo and Kyoto studio as well. Monolith as of now have 4 studios total. Let the main team do their own project

HoangNhatAnh said:
thetonestarr said:

How about no? Now we need Xenoblade X Switch Edition and Xenoblade X2, take a team from a new studio in Tokyo and Kyoto studio as well. Monolith as of now have 4 studios total. Let the main team do their own project

Or we let the team that's proven itself work on the project that is worth the most. Why would Nintendo, or any Zelda fan, want a new, unproven team to do such important work on such a large project?

Xenoblade 2 is a newer release than BotW, anyways, so it's somewhat silly to hope for resources to be diverted for that ahead of Zelda.  More likely is that Nintendo will have them design the map for Zelda, get it polished, then proceed to XCX2, and this will align with a release schedule that not only keeps the greatest number of fans happy, but also stresses their teams the least.

And it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever to put the main team on a Switch port of XCX. That's completely absurd.

SW-5120-1900-6153

thetonestarr said:
HoangNhatAnh said:

Or we let the team that's proven itself work on the project that is worth the most. Why would Nintendo, or any Zelda fan, want a new, unproven team to do such important work on such a large project?

Xenoblade 2 is a newer release than BotW, anyways, so it's somewhat silly to hope for resources to be diverted for that ahead of Zelda.  More likely is that Nintendo will have them design the map for Zelda, get it polished, then proceed to XCX2, and this will align with a release schedule that not only keeps the greatest number of fans happy, but also stresses their teams the least.

And it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever to put the main team on a Switch port of XCX. That's completely absurd.

XCX took 5 years to make, work on Zelda now will make the wait even longer. How many? 8,9 or even 10 years? XC2 was made by B team, not A team, the result: a buggy game with choppy fps, total opposite with XCX resolution/fps. "And it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever to put the main team on a Switch port of XCX. That's completely absurd." If is is just the same game then not necessary, but if it get more story/characters add-on as well as more enhanced gameplay features then nope, it need the main team. There is a reason why XCX is the largest Nintendo game but had almost no loading, free bug and 30fps locked with no drop. Not to mention, now Monolith have two more studios with ~200 people in total for helping with Zelda games/other Nintendo games. Were all Wii U enhanced ports made by a new, unproven team of Nintendo? Metroid Prime on GameCube was made by an unknow/unproven team as well, the result? We got the trilogy of the series and everyone is waiting for the 4th installment

Wyrdness said:
HoangNhatAnh said:

Breath of the Wild had a dev team of 300, not 5000. Over 100 of those were from Monolithsoft, and half the design staff was from Monolithsoft.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.