By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Donkey Kong Country vs Yoshi's Island

Which is better?

Donkey Kong Country 39 52.00%

Yoshi's Island 36 48.00%

Total:75

DKC2 is by far the best out of any DKC or Yoshi, as a whole series DKC wins easily. I love Yoshi as a character but have never really clicked with the games (outside of Woolly World, which was fantastic).

Around the Network

It's amazing how evenly split this is. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who recognizes the greatness of DKC2.

HylianSwordsman said:
It's amazing how evenly split this is.

I know right, 58 votes as of this post and split exactly 50/50.

For me, while I dearly love them both, I had to vote for DKC. It's atmosphere, soundtrack, and pacing make it the better game to me. Yoshi's Island is still an awesome game though.

curl-6 said:
HylianSwordsman said:
It's amazing how evenly split this is.

For me, while I dearly love them both, I had to vote for DKC. It's atmosphere, soundtrack, and pacing make it the better game to me. Yoshi's Island is still an awesome game though.

Always loved this track in DK2.

The way they managed to create these instrumental tracks in only 64kb of Ram is a testament to not only Sony's engineering with the Audio, but RARE as developers.

Visually, Donkey Kong's Pre-Rendered CGI art has aged, but it hasn't impacted it's gameplay at all... And it still has a good charm to it.

Yoshi's art however is still fairly timeless, mostly thanks to it's art style and it's use of the FX chip for things like scaling of sprites.

Both are awesome games in their own right and is a testament to how amazing the Super Nintendo really was from all angles... It's no surprising that they are tied in the poll.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
curl-6 said:

Always loved this track in DK2.

The way they managed to create these instrumental tracks in only 64kb of Ram is a testament to not only Sony's engineering with the Audio, but RARE as developers.

Visually, Donkey Kong's Pre-Rendered CGI art has aged, but it hasn't impacted it's gameplay at all... And it still has a good charm to it.

Yoshi's art however is still fairly timeless, mostly thanks to it's art style and it's use of the FX chip for things like scaling of sprites.

Both are awesome games in their own right and is a testament to how amazing the Super Nintendo really was from all angles... It's no surprising that they are tied in the poll.

I swear the SNES sound chip was witchcraft, how a chip from 1990 managed to produce audio as amazing as we got in games like the DKC Trilogy, Starfox, etc is downright astounding.

I personally feel DKC's graphics still look great to this day. Characters are expressive, environments are rich and moody, and the framerate is rock solid.

No arguments here about the SNES being amazing, it remains my #1 system of all time to this day. Granted the fact that it was my first ever console probably has a lot to do with that, but I doubt many would dispute that it's library is absolutely stellar.

Around the Network

Donkey Kong Country is more comparable with Super Mario World, not B tier platformers like Yoshis Island. Pretty ridiculous that they're tied here.

HylianSwordsman said:
It's amazing how evenly split this is. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who recognizes the greatness of DKC2.

Honestly I'm pretty sure DKC 1 and 2 are much more highly regarded than Yoshi (though DKC2 might have similar sales to Yoshi's Island do to it being a sequel, but I'm pretty sure DKC 1 sold like 3-5 million more than Yoshi). Really I'm more surprised by Yoshi than anything. 

This is really a tough one to answer, but I'll pick yoshi island since it is my favorite "mario game". However the music of donkey kong has no rival in all three entries.

Jumpin said:
archbrix said:

I really like DKC (especially the first one) but easily Yoshi's Island for me.

DKC is a fun platformer with beautiful visuals. Yoshi's Island is a masterpiece and probably one of my top 3 platformers of all time along with Super Mario World and Super Mario Bros 3. Even Tropical Freeze (my favorite DKC game) can't compete with the first Yoshi's Island. Its level design is great (love collecting everything) and the boss battles are among the best in gaming. Even regarding the aesthetics Yoshi compares favorably for me as I love the art style (those crayon colored backgrounds still impress me).

WHOAH! Totally disagree there. Not even close.

There are many WAY better choices for Nintendo's masterpiece. Super Mario Bros 3, Ocarina of Time, Mario Galaxy, and Breath of the Wild for starters.

He says “a” masterpiece.

Tough call.. loved them both. Id give it to DKC because it was a revolution for the SNES, those games were putting PS1 games to shame visually. Plus Rare in there Prime were simply the best.