Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Donkey Kong Country vs Yoshi's Island

Which is better?

Donkey Kong Country 39 52.00%

Yoshi's Island 36 48.00%

Total:75
Pemalite said:

Always loved this track in DK2.

*SIP*

The way they managed to create these instrumental tracks in only 64kb of Ram is a testament to not only Sony's engineering with the Audio, but RARE as developers.

Visually, Donkey Kong's Pre-Rendered CGI art has aged, but it hasn't impacted it's gameplay at all... And it still has a good charm to it.

Yoshi's art however is still fairly timeless, mostly thanks to it's art style and it's use of the FX chip for things like scaling of sprites.

Both are awesome games in their own right and is a testament to how amazing the Super Nintendo really was from all angles... It's no surprising that they are tied in the poll.

DK offered some masterpiece soundtracks.

One of my favourites was Artic Abyss.. Rare put so much emotion into there themes.

Around the Network
AngryLittleAlchemist said:
HylianSwordsman said:
It's amazing how evenly split this is. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who recognizes the greatness of DKC2.

Honestly I'm pretty sure DKC 1 and 2 are much more highly regarded than Yoshi (though DKC2 might have similar sales to Yoshi's Island do to it being a sequel, but I'm pretty sure DKC 1 sold like 3-5 million more than Yoshi). Really I'm more surprised by Yoshi than anything. 

Pretty sure Donkey Kong Country was the BEST selling non-pack-in game of the 16-bit era.

curl-6 said:
Pemalite said:

Always loved this track in DK2.

The way they managed to create these instrumental tracks in only 64kb of Ram is a testament to not only Sony's engineering with the Audio, but RARE as developers.

Visually, Donkey Kong's Pre-Rendered CGI art has aged, but it hasn't impacted it's gameplay at all... And it still has a good charm to it.

Yoshi's art however is still fairly timeless, mostly thanks to it's art style and it's use of the FX chip for things like scaling of sprites.

Both are awesome games in their own right and is a testament to how amazing the Super Nintendo really was from all angles... It's no surprising that they are tied in the poll.

I swear the SNES sound chip was witchcraft, how a chip from 1990 managed to produce audio as amazing as we got in games like the DKC Trilogy, Starfox, etc is downright astounding.

I personally feel DKC's graphics still look great to this day. Characters are expressive, environments are rich and moody, and the framerate is rock solid.

No arguments here about the SNES being amazing, it remains my #1 system of all time to this day. Granted the fact that it was my first ever console probably has a lot to do with that, but I doubt many would dispute that it's library is absolutely stellar.

Only platform that could probably push past the SNES audio capabilities was the PC at the time... And that was mostly thanks to the removal of memory limitations and full wave audio... But then you also paid for that privilege. An early AWE32 Sound Blaster would have cost more than a Super Nintendo too. ($250 vs $199)

The fact that RARE was able to make such memorable music in three separate Donkey Kong games... But then do the same again in Killer Instinct... Was just a testament to their ability to leverage the SNES to do some crazy shit.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Yoshi's island should be the better game but I would still prefer playing Donkey Kong Country somehow and I bought and played both games when they were released so the nostalgia factor should be the same.

But DKC2 is probably better than Yoshi's island. It aged better IMO. Yoshi's island is not that fun to play nowadays but I still regularly play DKC1 and DKC2 on my SNES.

LOL the poll results, a perfect 50/50 with 60 votes ! Wow. Ok I vote now...

HylianSwordsman said:
It's amazing how evenly split this is. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who recognizes the greatness of DKC2.

Honestly I'm pretty sure DKC 1 and 2 are much more highly regarded than Yoshi (though DKC2 might have similar sales to Yoshi's Island do to it being a sequel, but I'm pretty sure DKC 1 sold like 3-5 million more than Yoshi). Really I'm more surprised by Yoshi than anything. 

According to VGC:

DKC: 9.3 million

DKC2: 5.15 million

Yoshi's Island: 4.12 million

Sagemode87 said:
Donkey Kong Country is more comparable with Super Mario World, not B tier platformers like Yoshis Island. Pretty ridiculous that they're tied here.

Yoshi's Island B-tier? Bold statement. Out of curiosity, what makes you consider it B-tier?

curl-6 said:
Sagemode87 said:
Donkey Kong Country is more comparable with Super Mario World, not B tier platformers like Yoshis Island. Pretty ridiculous that they're tied here.

Yoshi's Island B-tier? Bold statement. Out of curiosity, what makes you consider it B-tier?

The ironic part is... Yoshi's Island is actually Super Mario World 2. It's the sequel.
It even says it on the games cover.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

According to VGC:

DKC: 9.3 million

DKC2: 5.15 million

Yoshi's Island: 4.12 million

Yeah I know that VGC's numbers are about there, but I was giving Yoshi's Island the benefit of the doubt on DKC2 having a 1 million lead since we don't know for sure  

Though I assume that's pretty accurate

Still cant believe so many *wrongly* believe that Yoshi's Island > DKC, on here.
Imo DKC should be winning by a landslide.

Its 2-3 days lateron, and many more voted and its this close.. for shame! :P

Yoshi's Island due to the more expressive gameplay if you've ever watched a Yoshi's Island speedrun you really see how expressive the mechanics are which in a 2D platformer is not an easy feat.

While Yoshi has slightly more variety in its gameplay, I think DKC evens this out by being more tightly focused. Its a masterclass in pure platforming, with each level having a rhythm and flow akin to the music of a song.

The enjoyable tag team co-op also gives a point to DKC in my book.

Tough one. I'd say DKC, and 3 is my favorite. But damn, we're talking about seriously good stuff here, you can choose any of the two and have my support. Nintendo makes such amazing stuff...