By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
haxxiy said:
Pemalite said:

Conservatives use the same argument here... That we need to "preserve australian culture".
My argument has always been... What culture?

Thongs/Flip flips and singlets, even our numbering system that came from the middle east?
Or the English language which came from Britain and stems from ancient germanic language?

Our culture is derived from every other culture, same goes for most multi-cultural nations such as the United States.

If anything, the culture of most nations aren't the same as their ancient pasts, Aboriginal culture is pushed a-side here, I would assume the same occurs with indian culture in the states, but probably to a lesser degree... And religious culture changed every European country at one point.
In short... It seems only the culture relevant to the majority seems to be the culture that needs to be protected, which to me is a silly proposition.

Either way, culture is constantly changing and we live in an inter-connected world which influences culture world wide, K-Pop for example became a thing at one point.

It's one thing to be proud of your cultural heritage, it needs to be maintained, but you don't need to do so at the exclusion of other cultures or peoples... Just because someone is Asian or Middle-Eastern doesn't mean they cannot engage with Aboriginal culture in Australia for example.

You're right Pema. But... there's no cosmic force that will eventually make a just, equitable point of view prevail over the others. Neither there is any guarantee that the billions of people living in culturally oppressive societies (either due to religion, state, or both) and approve of it will necessarily come to see the light, so to speak. Just look at data from Pew Research etc. to see how the world's growing majority actually thinks. Even the younger ones.

You mentioned a long string of cultures from Australia, dating back to England and before. And guess what, each of these steamrolled over more peaceful peoples inhabiting these lands just because they could. The mesolithic Europeans most certainly thought Anatolian farmers were aggressive to their standards, and in turn, celts must have looked like the devil with their shrunken head totems, only to be outdone in violence by the Anglo-Saxons and their mastery of the art of torture.

The two largest countries in the world are nationalistic dictatorships actively engaging in genocide. Huge swathes of the globe follow a misogynistic religion that punishes apostasy with death. Having a Discovery Channel relativistic mentality and thinking that everyone coming in is just an exotic flavor of the same ideals you share is borderline naïve. Many - even among the young, like I said - believe in things that would make Idaho Republicans look like San Francisco hippies.

This is why ideas like democracy, human rights, and environmentalism should be pushed and even mandated, should the need arise, as long as the countries that follow these still have the economic and diplomatic might to do so. There is a million practices, customs, laws etc. out there that aren't and shouldn't be considered humankind's cultural heritage, just a pile of garbage nurtured throughout the millennia by sick and twisted minds.

When it comes to the law and legal matters, the law of the land trumps culture, beliefs and all else until challenged in a court of law.
For example, same-sex marriage went against Australian/American culture at one point due to their strong right-wing conservative religious power bases, but equality got pushed front and center, conservative culture be damned... And as nations we are better for it.
Change shouldn't always be discouraged.
Change for the sake of change that reduces the benefit to society and it's people should be discouraged.

It's interesting you bring up religion though, because I believe all abrahamic religion to be deplorable in some form, there is a reason why Islam, Judaism and Christianity are derived from the same middle-eastern religious context.
What I have issues with is hypocritical Christians constantly moaning about Islam, but will turn a blind eye to the fact the bible believes in stoning children to death, that we should not eat pork, that it's okay to own slaves... And that we should punish apostasy.
All the same bullshit with a different package essentially... And yes there are Christian denominations that believe and support the old testament in it's literal form.

But we do need to respect peoples rights to 'freedom of religion' as well as peoples rights to 'freedom FROM religion'. - And we do need to crack down hard when religious institutions break the law, no exceptions.
Religion is a part of our cultures, I am happy to learn about it, I'm not going to follow it though until they can prove their Gods exists with empirical evidence.
And I will most certainly fight religion if it encroaches on anyone's freedom.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network
Pemalite said:
haxxiy said:

You're right Pema. But... there's no cosmic force that will eventually make a just, equitable point of view prevail over the others. Neither there is any guarantee that the billions of people living in culturally oppressive societies (either due to religion, state, or both) and approve of it will necessarily come to see the light, so to speak. Just look at data from Pew Research etc. to see how the world's growing majority actually thinks. Even the younger ones.

You mentioned a long string of cultures from Australia, dating back to England and before. And guess what, each of these steamrolled over more peaceful peoples inhabiting these lands just because they could. The mesolithic Europeans most certainly thought Anatolian farmers were aggressive to their standards, and in turn, celts must have looked like the devil with their shrunken head totems, only to be outdone in violence by the Anglo-Saxons and their mastery of the art of torture.

The two largest countries in the world are nationalistic dictatorships actively engaging in genocide. Huge swathes of the globe follow a misogynistic religion that punishes apostasy with death. Having a Discovery Channel relativistic mentality and thinking that everyone coming in is just an exotic flavor of the same ideals you share is borderline naïve. Many - even among the young, like I said - believe in things that would make Idaho Republicans look like San Francisco hippies.

This is why ideas like democracy, human rights, and environmentalism should be pushed and even mandated, should the need arise, as long as the countries that follow these still have the economic and diplomatic might to do so. There is a million practices, customs, laws etc. out there that aren't and shouldn't be considered humankind's cultural heritage, just a pile of garbage nurtured throughout the millennia by sick and twisted minds.

When it comes to the law and legal matters, the law of the land trumps culture, beliefs and all else until challenged in a court of law.
For example, same-sex marriage went against Australian/American culture at one point due to their strong right-wing conservative religious power bases, but equality got pushed front and center, conservative culture be damned... And as nations we are better for it.
Change shouldn't always be discouraged.
Change for the sake of change that reduces the benefit to society and it's people should be discouraged.

It's interesting you bring up religion though, because I believe all abrahamic religion to be deplorable in some form, there is a reason why Islam, Judaism and Christianity are derived from the same middle-eastern religious context.
What I have issues with is hypocritical Christians constantly moaning about Islam, but will turn a blind eye to the fact the bible believes in stoning children to death, that we should not eat pork, that it's okay to own slaves... And that we should punish apostasy.
All the same bullshit with a different package essentially... And yes there are Christian denominations that believe and support the old testament in it's literal form.

But we do need to respect peoples rights to 'freedom of religion' as well as peoples rights to 'freedom FROM religion'. - And we do need to crack down hard when religious institutions break the law, no exceptions.
Religion is a part of our cultures, I am happy to learn about it, I'm not going to follow it though until they can prove their Gods exists with empirical evidence.
And I will most certainly fight religion if it encroaches on anyone's freedom.

I actually don't think we should eat pork. Not because the torah/bible forbids it, but because pigs are exceptionally intelligent creatures who are more intelligent than dogs. But I'm also a hypocrite who loves bacon... so... take what I say with a grain of salt, but I don't think it should be included with those other truly abhorrent ideas.

Donald Trump and Melania Trump Have Tested Positive For Covid-19

Donald Trump announced via Twitter that he has tested positive for Coronavirus.

I'll take some time to collect my thoughts, but obviously this race has completely changed.

I'm sure there are going to be strong opinions on both sides. I've already brought up in the mod chat the possibility of setting standards for how discussing this. For now, I will say that to be on the safe side, you should avoid taking joy in a person contracting a life threatening disease or wishing for death of another individual. That is NOT the official stance of the moderation team, but you surely won't get in trouble following that advice. 

Edit: Going to PM you about this

-JWeincom

Last edited by JWeinCom - on 02 October 2020

JWeinCom said:

I'll take some time to collect my thoughts, but obviously this race has completely changed.

I'm sure there are going to be strong opinions on both sides. I've already brought up in the mod chat the possibility of setting standards for how discussing this. For now, I will say that to be on the safe side, you should avoid taking joy in a person contracting a life threatening disease or wishing for death of another individual. That is NOT the official stance of the moderation team, but you surely won't get in trouble following that advice. 

Not a PR stunt? Its not just his word right.... like multiple doctors have confirmed this?

Like at this point, I wouldnt put it past Trump to use something like "I got covid" as a excuse for sympathy points / or avoidance of debates ect.

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:
JWeinCom said:

Not a PR stunt? Its not just his word right.... like multiple doctors have confirmed this?

Like at this point, I wouldnt put it past Trump to use something like "I got covid" as a excuse for sympathy points / or avoidance of debates ect.

His doctor has sent a press release. Don't think he'd lie about this anyway. Don't see it helping him.

JWeinCom said:

If only he didn't take the test, he wouldn't have had the virus  

Rab said:
JWeinCom said:

If only he didn't take the test, he wouldn't have had the virus  

Well, it is what it is.

JWeinCom said:
JRPGfan said:

His doctor has sent a press release. Don't think he'd lie about this anyway. Don't see it helping him.

Well he doesn't have to go on any more debates.  He may believe it will get him the sympathy vote.  Maybe all the liberals wanting him to die will make them look bad so he can get a few more votes there or he can tout his vaccine and hydroxychloroquine/Zinc combo as a cure and comeback saying how he was right.  There are a lot of angles he could play this so it should be interesting to see how things shake out in the next 2 weeks.

Edit:  I just noticed that his doctor said the President is asymptomatic so we can be sure nothing harmful will happen to him, instead this could be more a political play then we thought.

Last edited by Machiavellian - on 02 October 2020

Machiavellian said:
JWeinCom said:

Well he doesn't have to go on any more debates.  He may believe it will get him the sympathy vote.  Maybe all the liberals wanting him to die will make them look bad so he can get a few more votes there or he can tout his vaccine and hydroxychloroquine/Zinc combo as a cure and comeback saying how he was right.  There are a lot of angles he could play this so it should be interesting to see how things shake out in the next 2 weeks.

Edit:  I just noticed that his doctor said the President is asymptomatic so we can be sure nothing harmful will happen to him, instead this could be more a political play then we thought.

No debates helps Biden far more than it helps Trump. Trump basically needs Biden to make a big error at the debates so if Biden can use this to cancel the second (and maybe even the third) debate, that is a huge win for him. Either way though, I can only see this as helping Biden, either by increasing the stability of the race, or by emphasizing how bad the President's handling of the virus really is.