By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
iron_megalith said:
JWeinCom said:

Seriously though, a sample size of two does not qualify you to diagnose mental disorders.  You're entitled to your opinion.  But that which is presented without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.  Good for you for taking good care of senior citizens though, and I mean that.

What makes you think that I only had interactions with 2 seniors in the span of 10 years? :)

That's what you said informed your opinion. Even if you worked in a nursing home for the past ten years, I don't think you'd be qualified to diagnose senility. Your opinion would hold more weight, but not nearly enough to support your conclusion.

Edit:  For reference, here are the tests for dimentia.  Pretty sure a doctor who specializes in the treatment of mental disorders in seniors could not diagnose someone on seeing a limited amount of public speaking.  

What Tests are Used to Diagnose Dementia?

The following procedures also may be used to diagnose dementia:

• Cognitive and neuropsychological tests. These tests are used to assess memory, problem solving, language skills, math skills, and other abilities related to mental functioning.
  • Laboratory tests. Testing a person's blood and other fluids , as well as checking levels of various chemicals, hormones, and vitamins, can help find or rule out possible causes of symptoms.
  • Brain scans. These tests can identify strokes, tumors, and other problems that can cause dementia. Scans also identify changes in the brain's structure and function. The most common scans are:
    • Computed tomography (CT), which uses x rays to produce images of the brain and other organs
    • Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), which uses magnetic fields and radio waves to produce detailed images of body structures, including tissues, organs, bones, and nerves
    • Positron emission tomography (PET), which uses radiation to provide pictures of brain activity
  • Psychiatric evaluation. This evaluation will help determine if depression or another mental health condition is causing or contributing to a person's symptoms.
  • Genetic tests. Some dementias are caused by a known gene defect. In these cases, a genetic test can help people know if they are at risk for dementia. It is important to talk with a genetic counselor before and after getting tested, along with family members and the doctor.

Around the Network
JWeinCom said:
iron_megalith said:

What makes you think that I only had interactions with 2 seniors in the span of 10 years? :)

That's what you said informed your opinion. Even if you worked in a nursing home for the past ten years, I don't think you'd be qualified to diagnose senility. Your opinion would hold more weight, but not nearly enough to support your conclusion.

I don't need to have any certificate for me to form my opinion about determining if a person is fit to have my vote. You can't erase the fact that there have been several times Joe Bide has slipped up publicly during his campaign. And those are also recorded.

Truth be told, Americans are once again kinda forced to eat shit in this coming election. It's sad, hilarious and pathetic that they're trying to find the one that has the corn as a way to validate their choice being the correct one.

iron_megalith said:
JWeinCom said:

I don't need to have any certificate for me to form my opinion about determining if a person is fit to have my vote. You can't erase the fact that there have been several times Joe Bide has slipped up publicly during his campaign. And those are also recorded.

Truth be told, Americans are once again kinda forced to eat shit in this coming election. It's sad, hilarious and pathetic that they're trying to find the one that has the corn as a way to validate their choice being the correct one.

I never said you needed a certificate to decide who to vote for.  You're completely changing the topic.

JWeinCom said:
iron_megalith said:

I never said you needed a certificate to decide who to vote for.  You're completely changing the topic.

Not sure that is much of a strawman at all. If you're looking for professional opinion on the matter from a certified professional then yes I can't give that to you. But does it mean that my opinion and argument holds no water when there are several recorded instances where Biden seems to have cognitive issues?

If you say yes, then nothing I can do.

iron_megalith said:
JWeinCom said:

Not sure that is much of a strawman at all. If you're looking for professional opinion on the matter from a certified professional then yes I can't give that to you. But does it mean that my opinion and argument holds no water when there are several recorded instances where Biden seems to have cognitive issues?

It's a strawman because we were talking about whether or not you could diagnose senility, and your reply was about whether or not you need a certificate to choose who to vote for.

Does it mean that your opinion and argument holds no water?  Yes.  Yes it does. For an opinion to hold water it needs to be backed by data and expertise.  You have no shown a sufficient level of either.  Several recorded instances that a non-expert claims indicates cognitive issues is not sufficient to justify a diagnosis of senility.

And... if "several recorded instances where someone seems to have cognitive issues" is enough.

Then... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iks184i9FOI

Last edited by JWeinCom - on 13 June 2020

Around the Network
Runa216 said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

Fully agree.

It's sometimes really aggravating to be looking up sources and the like for about half a day and explaining them in detail to show someone that their premise is wrong simply to get brushed aside by them. But as aggravating as it can be, I won't stop doing it, as I simply can't stand such wrongs and feel compelled to correct them.

Yeah, I gave up on trying to really put forth ridiculous amounts of time and effort into composing carefully worded and researched posts like 15 years ago. I learned a long time ago - like in my high school years - that no amount of facts, logic, rationality, or carefully worded/compassionate discourse will do a thing to change the mind of someone who has an agenda. It was never about being right, it was about being louder. It wasn't about having good points, it was about having passion. 

I sometimes write up 1000+ word posts arguing with someone because I have a compulsion to correct people when they're wrong, misrepresenting data, using logical fallacies, or preying upon the impressionable...but the more I do it the more futile it seems. I hate that so many people are swayed by such obviously false narratives and that's how we got Trump in office. I hate that simply yelling something loud enough or repeatedly enough caters to base instincts. I hate that we live in a world where it's so easy to manipulate people and the only way to get facts out there or combat this war of ignorance is to do so using the same tools the morons use. The same gross, repugnant tactics that certain people use to fear-monger and stir up shit are the only ways to get anything done. 

and then if Democrats resort to the same bullshit tactics, the republicans call them out on it and act like they're the victims. 

IT's like if a bully punches you a dozen times then cries when you punch back so you get in trouble

I hate politics...but they're super, duper important to discuss due to how influential they are on our lives. 

That's exactly what my bullies did when I was in primary school... and they always got out of trouble despite roughing me up all day.

And I fully agree on the importance of talking about politics.

Bofferbrauer2 said:
Runa216 said:

Yeah, I gave up on trying to really put forth ridiculous amounts of time and effort into composing carefully worded and researched posts like 15 years ago. I learned a long time ago - like in my high school years - that no amount of facts, logic, rationality, or carefully worded/compassionate discourse will do a thing to change the mind of someone who has an agenda. It was never about being right, it was about being louder. It wasn't about having good points, it was about having passion. 

I sometimes write up 1000+ word posts arguing with someone because I have a compulsion to correct people when they're wrong, misrepresenting data, using logical fallacies, or preying upon the impressionable...but the more I do it the more futile it seems. I hate that so many people are swayed by such obviously false narratives and that's how we got Trump in office. I hate that simply yelling something loud enough or repeatedly enough caters to base instincts. I hate that we live in a world where it's so easy to manipulate people and the only way to get facts out there or combat this war of ignorance is to do so using the same tools the morons use. The same gross, repugnant tactics that certain people use to fear-monger and stir up shit are the only ways to get anything done. 

and then if Democrats resort to the same bullshit tactics, the republicans call them out on it and act like they're the victims. 

IT's like if a bully punches you a dozen times then cries when you punch back so you get in trouble

I hate politics...but they're super, duper important to discuss due to how influential they are on our lives. 

That's exactly what my bullies did when I was in primary school... and they always got out of trouble despite roughing me up all day.

And I fully agree on the importance of talking about politics.

Talking politics is a win-win/lose-lose situation. If things get done and change gets made, it's good for everyone. but if it's just pointless yelling back and forth, everyone loses their time and sanity. However, NOT talking about politics leads to stuff like stagnation on gay rights, a lack of true equality for races and genders, and a lack of compassion for refugees. 

Some people just suck and are selfish, which is how they vote. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

https://mobile.twitter.com/no_silenced/status/1272370995366465536

Keep up the good work.

coolbeans said:
Jicale said:
https://mobile.twitter.com/no_silenced/status/1272370995366465536

Keep up the good work.

It speaks harshly to the modern American diet when looters don't even bother taking some vegetables.

You don't need to eat low calories if you have a daily regiment of exhausting looting.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.