By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - 40 percent of Epic Games Store users say they don't have Steam

The_Liquid_Laser said:
I've always felt Valve's numbers are misleading. I would like more hard stats from them. I don't think Valve is as nearly as popular as the big 3 in North America. Instead I think Steam gets a lot of users in places like Russia where consoles are not readily available.

Also, I personally don't use Steam. If I do get a PC game it has always been from gog.com. Given the rise of the Epic Games store, I might consider them as well. So you can count me as the type of person who might use the Epic Games store but not Steam.

Wat?.

Valve's numbers are on the mark though, especially with daily active users and total users. They aren't some small company in the PC space. There are more PC gamers out there than there are console gamers. 

You not using Steam kinda tells me how much you know about the storefront though. Not sure why you'd consider anti-consumer practices, less features and DRM over non DRM like GoG. 

Around the Network
The_Liquid_Laser said:
BasilZero said:

You should actually take advantage of all the stores on PC. No need to do a "boycott" simply cause you dont like a certain company. There's bundles, free giveaways, and sales that feature on pretty much every store (minus Bethesda).

I don't dislike Valve.  I dislike Steam.  Why should I use a service that I dislike?

jason1637 said:

Why dont you think PC gaming is as big as console gaming in North America?

A couple reasons.

1) Before Steam came along we had numbers for both PC and Console sales.  PC games never sold like console games did.  The big money was always in console gaming.  This was also in an era when PC gaming had more exclusives (and better exclusives IMO) than it does now.

2) Valve never gives us all of their data.  This in itself is telling.  The XB1 is not selling well and Microsoft doesn't give us data about the XB1.  I suspect Valve is the same way.  If the data was actually good, then the company would give it to us regularly.

Yeah I don't get it, we had Wow that had + 10 million subscribers, we had CS go that did + 25 million and plenty more if you have 25 million active users in North America it certainly seems big.

Chazore said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:
I've always felt Valve's numbers are misleading. I would like more hard stats from them. I don't think Valve is as nearly as popular as the big 3 in North America. Instead I think Steam gets a lot of users in places like Russia where consoles are not readily available.

Also, I personally don't use Steam. If I do get a PC game it has always been from gog.com. Given the rise of the Epic Games store, I might consider them as well. So you can count me as the type of person who might use the Epic Games store but not Steam.

Wat?.

Valve's numbers are on the mark though, especially with daily active users and total users. They aren't some small company in the PC space. There are more PC gamers out there than there are console gamers. 

You not using Steam kinda tells me how much you know about the storefront though. Not sure why you'd consider anti-consumer practices, less features and DRM over non DRM like GoG. 

Do you have sales numbers for last year for the top 20 Steam games in North America?

konnichiwa said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

I don't dislike Valve.  I dislike Steam.  Why should I use a service that I dislike?

A couple reasons.

1) Before Steam came along we had numbers for both PC and Console sales.  PC games never sold like console games did.  The big money was always in console gaming.  This was also in an era when PC gaming had more exclusives (and better exclusives IMO) than it does now.

2) Valve never gives us all of their data.  This in itself is telling.  The XB1 is not selling well and Microsoft doesn't give us data about the XB1.  I suspect Valve is the same way.  If the data was actually good, then the company would give it to us regularly.

Yeah I don't get it, we had Wow that had + 10 million subscribers, we had CS go that did + 25 million and plenty more if you have 25 million active users in North America it certainly seems big.

You missed my previous post.  I was talking about North America.

The_Liquid_Laser said:
Chazore said:

Wat?.

Do you have sales numbers for last year for the top 20 Steam games in North America?

konnichiwa said:

Why don't you go find those numbers, that aren't even related to user numbers yourself?. Or better yet, use Steam spy, from the guy who's too shallow enough to use it on the very company he works for. 

Also "better exclusives", again is subjective in your own mind. That and PC gaming is definitely big, it's not small. 

Last edited by Chazore - on 22 March 2019

Chazore said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

Why don't you go find those numbers, that aren't even related to user numbers yourself?. Or better yet, use Steam spy, from the guy who's too shallow enough to use it on the very company he works for. 

Also "better exclusives", again is subjective in your own mind. That and PC gaming is definitely big, it's not small. 

I don't find the numbers, because the numbers aren't available.  Valve doesn't release them.  My whole point is that Valve keeps their numbers secret.  "SteamSpy" isn't official numbers.  It's a program that someone designed to Spy on Steam, because Valve wants to keep their numbers secret.

Around the Network

Who the hell games on a PC but doesn't have Steam Installed after all these years? The 40% must all be Fortnite kiddies who never played a game before Fortnite.

The_Liquid_Laser said:
BasilZero said:

You should actually take advantage of all the stores on PC. No need to do a "boycott" simply cause you dont like a certain company. There's bundles, free giveaways, and sales that feature on pretty much every store (minus Bethesda).

jason1637 said:

Why dont you think PC gaming is as big as console gaming in North America?

A couple reasons.

Because you aren’t paying to buy a client like a console.

what is it that you don’t like about steam if you still like Valve? Lol

Also steamspy (a service created by someone who works with EGS compiled data based on the steam database) that showed many successful titles in the millions - the most sold games on steam were games like left 4 dead 2 and csgo which were both 20+ million 

This information is now locked to the public and I think you have to pay to see numbers now.

Also your accusation that PC gaming isn’t doing as good as console gaming if not better is false because the market on pc is completely different from what it was 20 years ago.

Japanese companies who never touched PC before are flocking to the platform now, no one does that for any random reason.

Exclusives aren’t the real drawing power on the platform anymore - it’s mainly resolution, fps , pricing and availability (for back and forward compatibility) on top of that free online MP

Basil's YouTube Channel

The_Liquid_Laser said:
Chazore said:

I don't find the numbers, because the numbers aren't available.  Valve doesn't release them.  My whole point is that Valve keeps their numbers secret.  "SteamSpy" isn't official numbers.  It's a program that someone designed to Spy on Steam, because Valve wants to keep their numbers secret.

Valve keeps 3rd party numbers secret because that's not their property. It's the same wtih Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo.

Steam has extremely transparent data for all games such as concurrent players that the Big 3 couldn't even dream of matching.

BasilZero said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

A couple reasons.

Also steamspy (a service created by someone who works with EGS compiled data based on the steam database) that showed many successful titles in the millions - the most sold games on steam were games like left 4 dead 2 and csgo which were both 20+ million 

This information is now locked to the public and I think you have to pay to see numbers now.

Also your accusation that PC gaming isn’t doing as good as console gaming if not better is false because the market on pc is completely different from what it was 20 years ago.

Japanese companies who never touched PC before are flocking to the platform now, no one does that for any random reason.

Exclusives aren’t the real drawing power on the platform anymore - it’s mainly resolution, fps , pricing and availability (for back and forward compatibility) on top of that free online MP

My claim was about North America.  No one can counter my argument about North America, because no one has solid numbers about North America.  The very fact that these numbers are a secret is evidence that my claim is correct.

Megiddo said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

Valve keeps 3rd party numbers secret because that's not their property. It's the same wtih Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo.

Steam has extremely transparent data for all games such as concurrent players that the Big 3 couldn't even dream of matching.

There is no way to compare Valve numbers to the big 3.  People can claim that "PC is huge in North America", but there is no evidence to back it up.  All I can go by is that sales data in the pre-Steam era said PC revenue was smaller than console revenue.  I have no reason to assume it has changed.

The_Liquid_Laser said:
BasilZero said:

My claim was about North America.  No one can counter my argument about North America, because no one has solid numbers about North America.  The very fact that these numbers are a secret is evidence that my claim is correct.

Megiddo said:

There is more than enough evidence to suggest your claim is invalid and outdated - and it’s pretty much out there - do some research yourself instead of imposing a false claim especially when you are the only one who is expressing it.

Basil's YouTube Channel