By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - 40 percent of Epic Games Store users say they don't have Steam

Megiddo said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

Since you have the data, could you please tell me the sales of the top 20 games on Steam in North America in 2018?  I am looking for relevant sales data, so we can compare it to console sales or PC sales in the past.

Could you please tell me the sales of the top 20 games on Switch, PS4, and X1 in North America in 2018?

You're asking for data for PC that doesn't exist publicly anywhere for any other gaming platform. It's really, really bizarre.

I'm baffled as to why he even wants data for that specific time-frame. because going by previous posts (the one specifically with the brackets). I'd assume he's making the boldest claim that PC gaming in that area is very weak, and anywhere with console presence somehow means PC gaming is less popular in those areas. We've reached a point now where there just are more PC players than console, even if you combined all the different storefronts, individual or joint, it would still stack to a higher number than the big 3 combined. Even the mobile userbase outnumbers consoles. 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Around the Network
Darwinianevolution said:
This data makes me wonder how many PC gamers don't really use Steam for their gaming habits, and what they use instead. Steam is usually seen as a massive monopoly, put considering how many other digital storefronts and sale methodes are for the platform...

I hold out until 2013, where I got steam codes for Kickstarter Alpha/Beta versions (That was when Early Access just had started), so I needed Steam for those. I was using other, defunct or devolved stores before (Stardock Impulse, GamersGate and Desura) and GOG since 2009, and thus had no need for Steam until then.

I can understand that a similar thing may be happening for those 40% who are not using steam, especially those playing predominantly Fortnite.

Chazore said:
Megiddo said:

Could you please tell me the sales of the top 20 games on Switch, PS4, and X1 in North America in 2018?

You're asking for data for PC that doesn't exist publicly anywhere for any other gaming platform. It's really, really bizarre.

I'm baffled as to why he even wants data for that specific time-frame. because going by previous posts (the one specifically with the brackets). I'd assume he's making the boldest claim that PC gaming in that area is very weak, and anywhere with console presence somehow means PC gaming is less popular in those areas. We've reached a point now where there just are more PC players than console, even if you combined all the different storefronts, individual or joint, it would still stack to a higher number than the big 3 combined. Even the mobile userbase outnumbers consoles. 

Well if you want to give me the 2017 data, then that would be fine too.  I have to be specific, because there is a strong feeling in this thread that Steam has record sales numbers, but there are no facts to back it up.  So I have to be as specific as possible in hopes that someone can either come reasonably close, or (more likely) come to the realization that the PC is not in fact doing amazingly well in North America.  Some people think the PC is clobbering consoles.  There is no data to support that, at least not in places like North America which have a healthy console market.

Megiddo said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

Since you have the data, could you please tell me the sales of the top 20 games on Steam in North America in 2018?  I am looking for relevant sales data, so we can compare it to console sales or PC sales in the past.

This is reasonably close.  It lists top 20 overall in USA, plus top 10 per platform.  You can find sales numbers on VGC, this very site.  Also, Nintendo lists every title that sells over 1 million in their year end report.

There is actual sales data out there for console games.  We do not have this kind of data for PC games.

The_Liquid_Laser said:

Well if you want to give me the 2017 data, then that would be fine too.  I have to be specific, because there is a strong feeling in this thread that Steam has record sales numbers, but there are no facts to back it up.  So I have to be as specific as possible in hopes that someone can either come reasonably close, or (more likely) come to the realization that the PC is not in fact doing amazingly well in North America.  Some people think the PC is clobbering consoles.  There is no data to support that, at least not in places like North America which have a healthy console market.

The thing is, why do I have to go out of my own way, to give you data from a specific point in time?.

You have a strong personal feeling, but that isn't being backed up itself. You're assuming something to being a fact, without actually backing up that side beforehand. 

I just see it as you thinking PC is dog trash in NA, and that it'll never change, but general and revenue data from around the world, from various websites is saying things differently, but again, looking for specific data from a specific time-frame isn't going to automatically trump every data collection/reporting site out there, certainly not one random user on a site that's hardly mentioned as much on the internet. 

"some people think PC is clobbering consoles", and you think it's doing worse, or somehow "50/50"?. According to global revenue, dev sales talks and general talks around the world, PC gaming seems to be doing amazingly better than it was 15 years ago.

Have you even considered taking on the even bigger giant?, the mobile market, which actually does make more money, is more popular, and has more users than consoles combined?. Will that be another "it can't be" situation you'll feel?.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

Don't know why anyone would find this surprising. Been pc gaming since 2006. Not everyone uses Steam, Wow, LoL and many other games don't require Steam.

Around the Network

Chazore said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

The thing is, why do I have to go out of my own way, to give you data from a specific point in time?.

You have a strong personal feeling, but that isn't being backed up itself. You're assuming something to being a fact, without actually backing up that side beforehand. 

I just see it as you thinking PC is dog trash in NA, and that it'll never change, but general and revenue data from around the world, from various websites is saying things differently, but again, looking for specific data from a specific time-frame isn't going to automatically trump every data collection/reporting site out there, certainly not one random user on a site that's hardly mentioned as much on the internet. 

"some people think PC is clobbering consoles", and you think it's doing worse, or somehow "50/50"?. According to global revenue, dev sales talks and general talks around the world, PC gaming seems to be doing amazingly better than it was 15 years ago.

Have you even considered taking on the even bigger giant?, the mobile market, which actually does make more money, is more popular, and has more users than consoles combined?. Will that be another "it can't be" situation you'll feel?.

I think you've lost site of my original point.  My issue is that the success of the PC is overstated.  It doesn't have a huge base in older gaming markets like North America.  Growth of Steam comes largely from new territories where consoles do not have much of a presence.  I don't think the PC is dog trash or anything like that. 

Look here are my original two posts.

The_Liquid_Laser said:
I've always felt Valve's numbers are misleading. I would like more hard stats from them. I don't think Valve is as nearly as popular as the big 3 in North America. Instead I think Steam gets a lot of users in places like Russia where consoles are not readily available.

Also, I personally don't use Steam. If I do get a PC game it has always been from gog.com. Given the rise of the Epic Games store, I might consider them as well. So you can count me as the type of person who might use the Epic Games store but not Steam.

The_Liquid_Laser said:

jason1637 said:

Why dont you think PC gaming is as big as console gaming in North America?

A couple reasons.

1) Before Steam came along we had numbers for both PC and Console sales.  PC games never sold like console games did.  The big money was always in console gaming.  This was also in an era when PC gaming had more exclusives (and better exclusives IMO) than it does now.

2) Valve never gives us all of their data.  This in itself is telling.  The XB1 is not selling well and Microsoft doesn't give us data about the XB1.  I suspect Valve is the same way.  If the data was actually good, then the company would give it to us regularly.

The_Liquid_Laser said:

2) Valve never gives us all of their data.  This in itself is telling.  The XB1 is not selling well and Microsoft doesn't give us data about the XB1.  I suspect Valve is the same way.  If the data was actually good, then the company would give it to us regularly.

Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo also never give us all of their data. Some data they are obligated to give by law because they are stock companies.

Besides that, they also only give the data they want to give.

The_Liquid_Laser said:

My claim was about North America.  No one can counter my argument about North America, because no one has solid numbers about North America.  The very fact that these numbers are a secret is evidence that my claim is correct.

So I can claim any number or share of any classified or unclear number? And my claim would be correct because it can't be disproved?

Example: I claim that in the last hour 5 billion ants with superpowers were born. You can't prove that I'm wrong, so that's evidence that my claim is correct... yeah, right! 

Conina said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo also never give us all of their data. Some data they are obligated to give by law because they are stock companies.

Besides that, they also only give the data they want to give.

A fair point.  I should have said, "Valve never gives us hardly any of their sales data."  Nintendo, for example, actually does share a fair amount of sales data.  They post total hardware sales, and they report whenever a game sells more than 1 million on their platform.  

You might say, "They are only sharing the data that is good", but that is exactly my point.  If the data is good, then the company wants to put it out there.  If the data is bad, then they either say nothing or share some misleading statistic like daily active users.  Where is the sales data?

The_Liquid_Laser said:

Chazore said:

I think you've lost site of my original point.  My issue is that the success of the PC is overstated.  It doesn't have a huge base in older gaming markets like North America.  Growth of Steam comes largely from new territories where consoles do not have much of a presence.  I don't think the PC is dog trash or anything like that. 

Look here are my original two posts.

The_Liquid_Laser said:
I've always felt Valve's numbers are misleading. I would like more hard stats from them. I don't think Valve is as nearly as popular as the big 3 in North America. Instead I think Steam gets a lot of users in places like Russia where consoles are not readily available.

Also, I personally don't use Steam. If I do get a PC game it has always been from gog.com. Given the rise of the Epic Games store, I might consider them as well. So you can count me as the type of person who might use the Epic Games store but not Steam.

The_Liquid_Laser said:

A couple reasons.

1) Before Steam came along we had numbers for both PC and Console sales.  PC games never sold like console games did.  The big money was always in console gaming.  This was also in an era when PC gaming had more exclusives (and better exclusives IMO) than it does now.

The thing is, it really isn't, that's what you think about the whole picture. You think it's overstated, not "it is", as if it were already a fact, for everyone to see. You're asking for proof to help aid your line of thought, to prove you being right, to assume what you think is fact. That isn't really a good thought process to take on, unless there's an added motive to it. 

I just don't see it your way, where consoles hold some market, that is seemingly untouchable, or has been for years. It's a market that has been tapped and run through over the years. 

Even with the previous points, they still do not ring true now, especially point 1, which has the latter half being entirely subjective. We've also had Steam spy, and even then, the very guy who made it works for Epic and he won't do the same for his own company, shouldn't that also be telling?.