By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sekiro: Shadow die twice, holds strong at 90 on Opencritic based on 111 reviewers. GotY?

Tagged games:

Sekerio, Your Game of the year?

Yes. 11 21.57%

No. 21 41.18%

Maybe, unsure just yet. 12 23.53%

/indifferent/not played/other in comments. 7 13.73%

Total:51
Cerebralbore101 said:
Okay, I'm just a little annoyed at this game. Apparently I missed out on the 2nd Owl fight because I didn't eavesdrop on friendly NPC's. How the fuck was I supposed to know to do that? As soon as I beat the final boss, I'll have to start over AGAIN!

I really hate cryptic nonsense in games.

Welcome to a From Software game.

Around the Network
Machiavellian said:
Cerebralbore101 said:
Okay, I'm just a little annoyed at this game. Apparently I missed out on the 2nd Owl fight because I didn't eavesdrop on friendly NPC's. How the fuck was I supposed to know to do that? As soon as I beat the final boss, I'll have to start over AGAIN!

Welcome to a From Software game.

Well, a nonsense cryptic story is one thing. Missing entire bosses, because you failed to do a cryptic thing is another. Dark Souls I - III were fine, since you could reach all areas of the game without needing to guess at something or another. 

Sekiro is still a fantastic game though. I just have to beat two more bosses and I will have reached the end of the game. Looking forward to my 3rd playthrough (My first was the Shura ending). 

John2290 said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

It wasn't cryptic at all, you get the first few eavesdrop promts organically and as a FromSoft game you should be constantly checking on NPCs. There is only onr eavesdrop thst I can imagine people would miss if they stick to this strategy. 

It woyld seem that the Owl 2.0 is supposed to be a NG+ fight anyway along with the ending along that path. It's not the best ending despite it being the most sleuthy and NPC heavy. 

How would you get it organically? I can't think of a single reason to be in sneak mode next to or around friendly NPCs. 

Yeah, owl 2.0 does seem like a NG+ fight. I'm a stickler for doing everything in a single run though, and I want to respec my skill trees, since I can save a lot of wasted points the 3rd time around. So, I'll just restart as soon as I beat the last boss. 

Last edited by Cerebralbore101 - on 23 April 2019

John2290 said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

How would you get it organically? I can't think of a single reason to be in sneak mode next to or around friendly NPCs. 

Yeah, owl 2.0 does seem like a NG+ fight. I'm a stickler for doing everything in a single run though, and I want to respec my skill trees, since I can save a lot of wasted points the 3rd time around. So, I'll just restart as soon as I beat the last boss. 

What do you mean respec and restart? Like legit NG or NG+? 

Hmm, I felt that the Eavesdrops in the castle were story related but maybe it wasn't organic now that I think about it but it happened organically for me at least, I got an eavsdrop prompt outside of Ishanns hut and inside Kuros room but I yeah I can see why they wouldn't prompt if you aren't a fiddler of NPCs. Once you get Emma talking it is a pretty dtraightforward quest until a certain point where I can see it being an issue of luck or persistence or the habit from platinuming other souls games but the rule is always straight forward. Fuck around with NPC's as much as possible and as regularly as possible and check the newly aquired items against them. 

Legit NG, not NG+ 

I don't want to do NG+ while having missed the Owl's Memory. I want max attack power and stamina for NG+, but I can't get that now having missed Hirata part 2. It's ok though. 

John2290 said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

What do you mean respec and restart? Like legit NG or NG+? 

Hmm, I felt that the Eavesdrops in the castle were story related but maybe it wasn't organic now that I think about it but it happened organically for me at least, I got an eavsdrop prompt outside of Ishanns hut and inside Kuros room but I yeah I can see why they wouldn't prompt if you aren't a fiddler of NPCs. Once you get Emma talking it is a pretty dtraightforward quest until a certain point where I can see it being an issue of luck or persistence or the habit from platinuming other souls games but the rule is always straight forward. Fuck around with NPC's as much as possible and as regularly as possible and check the newly aquired items against them. 

This is very true for Souls formula.  You have to always go back to NPCs when you pick up new items and exhaust their prompts until they continue to repeat the same lines over and over.

Around the Network
John2290 said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

Legit NG, not NG+ 

I don't want to do NG+ while having missed the Owl's Memory. I want max attack power and stamina for NG+, but I can't get that now having missed Hirata part 2. It's ok though. 

Ouch. 

Nevermind. I just found out the Mask lets you increase your attack power all the way to 99. So having missed the Owl Part 2 is no big deal. Just means I need to spend a tiny amount of time to farm 5 more skill points. 

John2290 said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

Nevermind. I just found out the Mask lets you increase your attack power all the way to 99. So having missed the Owl Part 2 is no big deal. Just means I need to spend a tiny amount of time to farm 5 more skill points. 

And you can grab the prayer beads on that path on NG+ to cap ViT. If you are going for the platinum  I'd recommend taking it easy on farming for the mask ups through, I've upgraded three or four times and I'm at 45k per Skill point with like 40 still needed for the skill trees. I recently estimated how longit would take me to get 5 points on the fastest NG+ farm and it should take 50 minutes to one hour. Wish I had saved those 15-20 points for skills. It's only a very small increase anyway, really doesn't help that much on bosses like Ishann/emma or the Owl part 2 because of their posture recoup speed. 

Yeah, I'll be spending skill points on Platinuming  the game from here on out. I only need 30,000 per Skill Point right now, so I'm good. 

I've been able to wreck Isshin's posture on his first phase, and that was before upgrading the mask further. 

YEEEEEEEEESSSS!!

I did it! I beat Isshin! Managed to counter his lightning three times in a row. Was almost dead with no room to heal, and no stamina to block. I was just about to back off to heal (which probably would have gotten me killed), when he suddenly did his stab attack. I caught it and that was the end of his posture! God I love this game!

I know im incredible slow with this game but just beat Lady Butterfly in 2 tries,first time i did not get to the second phaseand second try i just kept close to her, deflected the moment she attacked and in between you always have room to land a few attacks till she goes into offense again. When the red mark appears you just always jump and kick and you can shoot her out of the air with the shuriken. Second phase is almost the same and the npc beforehand lets us know how to get rid of the illusions,the butterflies dont really pose danger.

Continuing my slow pace, I'm now facing the first Owl. Managed to get one death blow on him my first try. Haven't fought him since. Didn't find much issue with the guardian apes or the fake monk battle.

I'm farming divine confetti right now and killing headless and shaman's.