By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sekiro: Shadow die twice, holds strong at 90 on Opencritic based on 111 reviewers. GotY?

Tagged games:

Sekerio, Your Game of the year?

Yes. 11 21.57%

No. 21 41.18%

Maybe, unsure just yet. 12 23.53%

/indifferent/not played/other in comments. 7 13.73%

Total:51
John2290 said:
Immersiveunreality said:
I know im incredible slow with this game but just beat Lady Butterfly in 2 tries,first time i did not get to the second phaseand second try i just kept close to her, deflected the moment she attacked and in between you always have room to land a few attacks till she goes into offense again. When the red mark appears you just always jump and kick and you can shoot her out of the air with the shuriken. Second phase is almost the same and the npc beforehand lets us know how to get rid of the illusions,the butterflies dont really pose danger.

Nice. You are rightto be taking it slow, I wish I had as it is so stressful and difficult I think the genre might be ruined for me or at least tarnished slightly. Taking it slow has the benifet of being able to sleep on bosses and have the added bonus of your brain working it all out for you. 

Do you think you will see it through? Where you at on thr main path?

I wish to beat genichiro today,did one try on him last week before i went exploring other areas.

I cleared senpai temple till the main hall idol with all those priest and the big golden statue and defeated both centipede thingies, also got down to the gun fort until i got stuck on a locked door so yeah now i really need to face geni since i stalled that long enough. By the look of it he does not give much room to think and almost asks for instinctive reaction and lots of deflecting while staying in his face so i best not try to attack him too much and focus on getting his posture down unlike Lady butterfly that had more room to attack her inbetween.

Oh yes i will finish this game,just taking my damn sweet time :p

Edit: Yes brain and reaction speed while trying to focus and not letting panic take over are key to this game.

Around the Network
John2290 said:
Cerebralbore101 said:
YEEEEEEEEESSSS!!

I did it! I beat Isshin! Managed to counter his lightning three times in a row. Was almost dead with no room to heal, and no stamina to block. I was just about to back off to heal (which probably would have gotten me killed), when he suddenly did his stab attack. I caught it and that was the end of his posture! God I love this game!

Gratz dude. How hard would you say you found him as oposed to other bosses? 

He was medium difficulty, but only because he was an upgraded Genchiro, and only because I had fought old Isshin before to get the Shura ending. There are sooooooo many opportunities to just dodge his attacks in phase 1 and cut him up from the back. When he does the slow three swing combo, you can dodge on the last swing. When he does his sweep attack you can dodge all the way around that. When he does double ichimonji you can dodge that too. His phase 2 was the hardest, because that spear has serious range, and his mortal draw attacks are almost impossible to predict whether or not they are sweeps or uppercuts. His phase 3 just needs you to catch lightning, and miriki counter his delayed stab attack. 

Hardest boss in the game for me was Corrupted Monk the first time around. She blocks literally everything unless you get behind her, and her freaking mix up is insane. Her jumping downward slash looks identical to her jumping sweep. Honestly, without 5 confetti, and a chip damage approach, I don't see how anyone could beat her on the first try. 

Did give Genichiro about 6 tries and i was so wrong about the deflecting,he almost forces you to play offensive while leaving little room for errors.
Needed to relearn how i played the game to make some progression on him.

I beat the Owl part 2 today. That fight was BS, because of the awful camera. I had to learn to back off form time to time, just so the camera wouldn't get caught on a pillar or a wall. Owl part 2's moveset is completely different than his original. He's very beatable though. None of the bosses I've encountered seemed to be busted. Just hard. And I just barely got my vitality to max. I was fighting in most of new game+ with two prayer bead necklaces missing, and I still managed to beat all the bosses. When I fought the Owl part 2 I was still missing 1 Prayer bead.

Oh, and this game wrecks controllers. My PS4's R1 button is sticking every once in a while now. It might just be sweat getting in between the controller, but PS4 controllers are a bitch to take apart and put back together again. That ribbon cable is borderline impossible to get back in. 

Last edited by Cerebralbore101 - on 28 April 2019

Just started NG+ 4. Isshin Ashina can almost one shot me with certain moves now. Gonna make it to the Owl, choose to abandon Kuro and beat the final two bosses for my second to last trophy. After that I'll be grinding away about 28 skill points.

Around the Network

Platinum Achieved! The grind for the final 9 skill points was real. Had to go all the way to NG+4 and then farm the Ashina Outskirts soldiers.

John2290 said:
ClassicGamingWizzz said:

Final boss but its just a time sink and the fight is Pure shit. I probably Will never end because time is precious and i cant deal with this retarded time Grind of a fight to beat four phases, dark souls three final boss of the DLC was hard as fuck but its was a blast, i had fun. This One is so fucking boring , such medíocre fight that for the first time i Will not end a from software game.

Don't give up. He is very beatable, as someone pointed out to me the best thing to do is to stay close and be agressive. Do NOT back away and when healing in phase three and four do three jumps away from him and if he humps at you wait until the last second to dodge. Once you get to phase 4 you can throw his lightning back at him so imagine this phase as the easy, gimmick phase because because if you can hold gim in phase 3 and have that mastered, you can in phase 4 long enough to get three or four lightning counters and reck his health enough to be able to one shot posture break him. Of you're fatigued  put the game down for a day or two but don't give up, dude. You can do it.

As a self-proclaimed Souls veteran, I hate that it's taken me this long to get to Isshin, but fatherhood has really killed my gaming time.

Anyways, I'm not finding this boss as hopeless as many internet ragers have lead me to believe.  Yes, it's hard, but after about 10 tries, I did get to his final phase.  And I can almost always get to phase 3 without using a gourd, often barely getting hit.  My guess is I'll be able to put this guy to rest tonight and then work on the Demon of Hatred.  I also missed the opportunity for the Owl 2 fight, so I'll have to take care of that in NG+ and then work on the remaining endings in NG++ and NG+++.

Holy hell, though.  Super fun game. Was kind of hoping they'd announce a Sekiro DLC at Microsoft's conference yesterday.  But oh well.

Went from this game to another playthrough of dark souls 2 and has been a walk in the park,everything is easy and relaxing compared to Sekiro;)

So I'm on NG+ now. Demon of Hatred was...not difficult at all. In comparison to Isshin, I'd say he was a little on the easy side? It's just a bit of a long battle. Anyways, I didn't get the Owl 2 fight, so I'll be doing that this time, and then NG++ will be for the Emma/Isshin fight ending.

John2290 said:
CladInShadows said:
So I'm on NG+ now. Demon of Hatred was...not difficult at all. In comparison to Isshin, I'd say he was a little on the easy side? It's just a bit of a long battle. Anyways, I didn't get the Owl 2 fight, so I'll be doing that this time, and then NG++ will be for the Emma/Isshin fight ending.

Did you do Owl 2 yet?

Not yet. Bloodstained came out so Sekiro is on the back burner for now.