By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sekiro: Shadow die twice, holds strong at 90 on Opencritic based on 111 reviewers. GotY?

Tagged games:

Sekerio, Your Game of the year?

Yes. 11 21.57%

No. 21 41.18%

Maybe, unsure just yet. 12 23.53%

/indifferent/not played/other in comments. 7 13.73%

Total:51

The key to Isshin during phase 2, and 3 (though 3 is mostly lightning reversals), is to stay up in his face, and deflect him to death. You barely even have to attack him at this point. Just deflect all his regular hits, and mikiri counter him when he thrusts (which he will do all the time). You can get a few hits in here and there, but you don't need to do much offensively. He'll more or less tire himself out on you.

Around the Network
Runa216 said:
RaptorChrist said:

Not a fan of the Souls games? I can't tell what your angle is. Sandbagging the entire Souls series by flippantly dismissing my post, which wasn't even supposed to be up for debate anyways. I was just providing my thoughts, my opinions, and then all of a sudden BAM! Sunstrider with the "Souls games have no variety", "enemies in Souls games can't block or parry", and, as if an undisputed fact, THAT, is the reason why Sekiro is harder, no question about it.

I am also not sure why pushing the narrative that Sekiro is harder is even a thing. Same developer, same type of game, I'm on board for all of them, but it's like you are trying to pit them against each other.

Sorry if I got a little triggered.

Please don't use the term 'triggered' unless you're suffering from post-traumatic stress. That term is meant to describe an event that 'triggers' a PTSD episode, not something that mildly annoys you and incites you to respond angrily. People who actually have very real issues with PTSD have not been all too appreciative that the term has been hijacked by terrible people with a desire to continue being offensive using it to devalue the suffering of others as unjust or 'snowflake' behaviour.

I'm sure you didn't mean it to belittle those with real problems, but it's still incredibly insensitive and rude. 

No offense sir but i really disagree with that.

He can use that term whenever he wants,it is meant to describe a circumstance or other that causes an action to happen and it is not invented or owned for or by people with PTSD and it does not even directly connect to them.The term has a wide arrange of uses so yeah in this case you are hijacking an adjective to wrongly politicize people.

Bolded: It is not in the slightest.

ON TOPIC:

Will take a long time to be able to finish a stressy game like this,it is fun but i can not get rid of the stress buildup fast enough without taking big breaks inbetween playtime.

John2290 said:
RaptorChrist said:

So you are officially throwing in the towel on this one?

Have you tried using Rice during the fight? It heals massive chunks of health and gives you pretty much 30 seconds to fight without worrying about healing. Also, the bundled jizo statues. I wouldn't start using them until at least you have a good battle going. Maybe get to the middle of phase 2 with at least half of your healing left, and then proceed to use your best consumables for the rest of the fight.

But I understand if you've already moved on and aren't going back.

Didn't know the PSN games were available yet. Let me know how Surge is if you decide to play.

I have no rice left and yeah, I have to put it down, it is causing to much stress and I have stressful shit to do, I may pick it back up Sunday and have a try but if I die one more time to terrain that is that. I died countless times to the owl and The demon of hatred not by my owl fault but by either the camera of an obstacle.

That said, Isshan is easy until phase two and three where it just becomes too much to play genuinely, I have done it multiple times but it is so risky, his attacks are so OP that playing normally becomes less successful than running in circles and cheesing it which takes too much time and would not be a fun win at any rate plus I can not for the life of me get the counter on the lightning right and I have jumped off the cliff TWICE now because of needed to evade it one of which got me a death screen.

Thinking back on the last two weeks, the game has caused more stress in my life than anything in my actual life in the last two years. I will not buy FromSoft's new games again because of this until I am sure they hav'nt gone overboard with their difficulty fetishism, I'm too old for a video game to cause me undue stress, frustration and anger. Don't get me wrong, it is a fantastic game but late game bosses are beyond me, I simply am not good enough to beat the challenge they have created here in a timely enough manner for the wins to mean anything or feel good in any way. There is no euphoria, more like a solemn meloncholy for spending so long on something so obviously built beyond my capability  it is not fun at the end of the day or at least the fun outweighs the challenge by a large margin towards the end. The owl was the single hardest boss I have ever faced in a video game and I felt nothing but after but anger and a hint of relief after killing him.

The surge is pretty shit tbh, not helped by the fact that I just came off of Sekerio an sit feels like a game made in slow motion. Graphics are awful too and the rest of my download of Yakuza will take over 99 hours because of a storm so I am gameless until it lifts or have to pick up something in one of my folders. 

Damn, I'm sorry to hear that, man. Sounds like Sekiro really brought you down. From the looks of it, you are using an awful strategy against the final boss. Did you find a YT video of someone running and slashing around for 15 minutes, because I think I saw the same thing, and I found it to be probably the most boring, desperate attempt to beat a boss that really doesn't require it.

And I'm only assuming that's the reason you are dying from terrain and stuff, as you are running around instead of fighting him the way it was meant to be done.

By doing it that way, it's going to take forever to kill him, as this is meant to be a posture battle. If you do go back and try some more, I hope you're successful.

Edit: Thanks for backing me up Immersive :)

Sounds like an intense storm if it's affecting everyone's internet. We haven't had any storms yet, but it has started to rain a couple times since the weather is warming up.

John2290 said:

No, I am playing it properly and yes, Sekeio has brought me down enough to see FromSoft and associate stress enough so that I will be weary of any game they put out in the future. A day away from Sekerio and so much stress from the last two weeks has been lifted off of my shoulders, I don't agree they should put in an easy difficulty and can make the games they want however they went to far with this one which has solidified in my mind that these games are not worth it at this level and I most likely won't buy Bloodborne 2, A game I was looking forward too, or any future FromSoft game for that matter. I'm too old for that shit now and the Soulsborne genre has been utterly destroyed in my mind. Perhaps this is their intent and a way to break away from the formula as I see much of the same sentiment echoed around the web and less than 10% of players have finished the game. If anyone has issue with this read my signature below.

I hope that's just the voice of frustration and you'll come to find that the experience was worth it. Also, the game only just came out a week or two ago, so that would be why a small percentage have beaten it. I think that number will go up with time. I played the game several hours per day and I just finished it two days ago. 

Random question: Did you remember the shortcut to dilapidated temple in upper kuro's room? Were the areas really that close to each other, or was that an immersion-breaking load screen I saw. I haven't been able to find the answer to this.

Around the Network
John2290 said:
Angelus said:
The key to Isshin during phase 2, and 3 (though 3 is mostly lightning reversals), is to stay up in his face, and deflect him to death. You barely even have to attack him at this point. Just deflect all his regular hits, and mikiri counter him when he thrusts (which he will do all the time). You can get a few hits in here and there, but you don't need to do much offensively. He'll more or less tire himself out on you.

It would be impossible to keep close to him in phase 3 because of the lightning. At least for me as I can't counter it. 

It's really not very hard to counter, as it's got a relatively slow, long wind up. Just jump up shortly before he shoots it at you, and then reverse it before you touch the ground.

From Software have really found their calling with these type of games, Sekiro is their take on an action title with their approach and it holds up well in the genre.

John2290 said:
I finished the game and got the ending I wanted but much like every majour boss since The owl in the castle there was little joy in it with only a hint of relief. The lighting counter on the final boss worked as did Angelus' method of staying close to him, maybe an hour and a half spent compared to 7 to 9 hours on The owl in Hiratta so not exactly anywhere close to the difficulty of him but still could have done without phase three (or 4 depending on your perspective) or at least the spear.

At least I have the knowledge that I finished the game but it rings hollow in my mind as The Owl in Hiratta has broken my will, I will never put myself In that situation again so I will never be playing a Souls borne again and if I buy Bloodborne 2 I must truly hate myself. I am going to take some aggression out on early enemies in NG+ and then uninstall the game.

On a scale of 1-10 how would you rate the game overall? 5 being trash not worth playing, 7 being barely passable as a game, 8 being great but only for niche audiences, 8.5 being great overall, 9 being a must play, and anything above that being GotY quality. 

John2290 said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

On a scale of 1-10 how would you rate the game overall? 5 being trash not worth playing, 7 being barely passable as a game, 8 being great but only for niche audiences, 8.5 being great overall, 9 being a must play, and anything above that being GotY quality. 

On your scale it would be an 8 because of the niche subtitle but if you want to add that to 9 then on yours it would be a 9 but for niche audiences. On mine it's an easy ten, with the Janapese language of course. GotY so far, it's just a pity they took it too far with the difficulty near the end, the idols being so close negating the need to kill mobs by mid game and some of the camera work and frame pacing issues, actually for those last two I do have to knock off half a point because it did get be killed quite a lot and it would be unfair to give it a ten. A 9.5 is my final score in reflection and still GotY so far and the hardest boss of any game I have ever played, granted it was optional and all story bosses were easier but he was there for me to take on and broke me essentially destroying the genre for me through reflection and realizing the challenge in these games outweigh the pay off and the stress bleeds into my life makibg it not exactly the best form of escapism. I do suck at this game though, that has to be said. 

That said a fantastic game for those who have the will to see it through, great story, perfect sound work, visuals are great, core gameplay is unique and and immensely satisfying. On the note of difficulty though, I do get what the people asking for an easier version of these games mean now, perhaps they are incorrect in asking for an easier version but a version tailored so they can off set the difficult for themselves like they do in souls with grinding and all that, I've never been into that as the souls games were only ever truly difficult for the first ten hours when I started Bloodborne for the first time (and when I played Darksouls in 2011 for a bit) and never required perfecting precision with near zero room for fuck ups, I see how someone can feel now when they have paid for a game and it recks their will to play it by scaling the bosses so far beyond the player and their ability. 

Hopefully Days gone can top it and TLOU 2 is out this summer, fingers crossed.

I think the boss that broke you probably should have been reserved for New Game Plus. I can understand why they put him into the main game though. I think they wanted to give people the chance at facing him on a fresh playthrough, after having already beaten the game, and doing New Game Plus. Kind of like how you could fight the 2nd Demon in the Undead Asylum long before your character had the stats to reasonably be able to take him on. Or like how you can just go and fight Ganon right away in BotW after leaving the Plateau. But this time around it isn't your character that grows in power, its you, and your reflexes. I'm sure after three or four playthroughs of the game, even that final optional boss would be much easier. 

I get the sense that you personally hate the game, but are saying that it is objectively 8/10 or 9/10. 

But I just got to the first horse-riding subboss, so you may see me post on here enraged later on. Based on your posts, I'll be fighting every boss at least five times, to scout out their attacks, and then using items like mad for the real battles. It's been really slow going this week. Way too much overtime at my job. I think I started playing on Sunday, and so far have gotten about ten or so hours in. Five of them were just screwing around, and getting a feel for the game. 

John2290 said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

I think the boss that broke you probably should have been reserved for New Game Plus. I can understand why they put him into the main game though. I think they wanted to give people the chance at facing him on a fresh playthrough, after having already beaten the game, and doing New Game Plus. Kind of like how you could fight the 2nd Demon in the Undead Asylum long before your character had the stats to reasonably be able to take him on. Or like how you can just go and fight Ganon right away in BotW after leaving the Plateau. But this time around it isn't your character that grows in power, its you, and your reflexes. I'm sure after three or four playthroughs of the game, even that final optional boss would be much easier. 

I get the sense that you personally hate the game, but are saying that it is objectively 8/10 or 9/10. 

But I just got to the first horse-riding subboss, so you may see me post on here enraged later on. Based on your posts, I'll be fighting every boss at least five times, to scout out their attacks, and then using items like mad for the real battles. It's been really slow going this week. Way too much overtime at my job. I think I started playing on Sunday, and so far have gotten about ten or so hours in. Five of them were just screwing around, and getting a feel for the game. 

There is a difference between not being able to do something and hating something, I can't fuck Rihanna but she is a solid ten and I don't hate her for it, same with this game. I can piss and moan about the difficulty and my ability not being high skill enough but it doesn't lessen the game any more objectively or subjectively, it's still great. 

The horse riding guy is the first main boss and if you use fircrackers and the grapple skill he is fairly easy. I just got up to mid game (second or third main boss depending) in less than an hour taking all the mini bosses on the beaten path down along the way only dying once to a camera issue in a confined room boss, so skill has a lot to do with it I guess and knowing the bosses patterns. Whatever you do, just don't return to Hiratta a second time and you should be fine and don't ring the demon bell or if you do use it for farming make sure to check the icons under your health bar before heading into bosses. 

Yeah I fought the horse riding boss once, and almost had him on the first try. Grapple to him, with the ability to doubleslash right after grappling, then two more slashes at ground level followed by firecrackers, and another two or three slashes. Then block/parry whatever he throws out, and repeat.