By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Biggest franchise you always wanted to try but never got around to

Warcraft. Not World of, just Warcraft. And maybe Command & Conquer.

Around the Network

Persona  - I was super hyped for Persona 5 because it looked really cool but I decided to wait for the enhanced version  . I'd play P3/P4 but it's hard for me to find time to get into more games than the ones I'm playing (and the Persona games are suuuuper long) + I don't have a Vita to play the best version of P4. P1/P2 just look too archaic  for me.

Fire Emblem

Keybladewielder said:

Persona  - I was super hyped for Persona 5 because it looked really cool but I decided to wait for the enhanced version  . I'd play P3/P4 but it's hard for me to find time to get into more games than the ones I'm playing (and the Persona games are suuuuper long) + I don't have a Vita to play the best version of P4. P1/P2 just look too archaic  for me.

Fire Emblem

Ugh, I have two Persona games, 3 and 4, one of which is still in mint condition (4), that I bought from an anime con, and I haven't gotten through any of them because they've found their way deep, deep into my backlog. They're such cool games! Such great character development! But when I started playing 3, I was overwhelmed by the social links mechanic and trying to get the best possible outcome, and never finished the game before I started playing another game and since then my backlog has grown sky high...also my PS2 is in storage at the moment and I'd have to drag it out again.

Hopefully 5 comes out for Switch soon. I'll try to get back into the series from there.

I recently crossed one of the biggest franchises off my list - Devil May Cry. It has since become one of my favorite franchises and one of the most consistent, 1, 3, and 5 are all amazing. 

With that said there are a few: 

Animal Crossing - this has always been a case of "I'll wait till the next one comes out" syndrome. I just don't really see the point in going back and buying the old ones when it's a game centered around spending hundreds of hours in a cute glorified life simulation. I almost bought New Leaf multiple times - but this mentality always stopped me. Early last year I even thought Animal Crossing was going to come out in 2018 instead of Pokemon or Smash (as in, it would pair with one of those games and replace the other game it didn't pair with - since both Pokemon and Smash were quite heavily rumored for 2018). Obviously I'm going to have to wait a little longer than I expected but oh well, I'm excited to see what they do with the Switch game! 

Ninja Gaiden - I'm really only interested in Black, but in general more highly rated action games is never a bad thing and I'd love to play this series. Hopefully Team Ninja eventually reboots it or makes a fourth one. 

Metal Gear Solid - Not really an example of a franchise I haven't spent a lot of time with - I actually did beat 3 and almost finished Peace Walker. Even spent a good few hours in 2 and 5 (though I never got far into it). The problem is that I've never really wanted to play through the games in a non-release order. The HD collection was painfully incomplete without 1, and by the time 5 came out I didn't have my 360 anymore and couldn't access the HD collection. This just seems like the kind of franchise that is much better if you play them all, especially in order of release. I mean Devil May Cry isn't known for it's story and even with that series that was the case, just to see all the neat evolutionary stages of ideas that had shown up in previous games. If they made the Legacy collection (which includes 1) and put it on consoles I'd buy it in a heartbeat. 

Sly Cooper: Really just needs a good re-release. 

GoOnKid said:

Man I have such good memories of those games, playing them with my cousin. Them and Age of Empires 2.

Around the Network
AngryLittleAlchemist said:

I recently crossed one of the biggest franchises off my list - Devil May Cry. It has since become one of my favorite franchises and one of the most consistent, 1, 3, and 5 are all amazing. 

With that said there are a few: 

Animal Crossing - this has always been a case of "I'll wait till the next one comes out" syndrome. I just don't really see the point in going back and buying the old ones when it's a game centered around spending hundreds of hours in a cute glorified life simulation. I almost bought New Leaf multiple times - but this mentality always stopped me. Early last year I even thought Animal Crossing was going to come out in 2018 instead of Pokemon or Smash (as in, it would pair with one of those games and replace the other game it didn't pair with - since both Pokemon and Smash were quite heavily rumored for 2018). Obviously I'm going to have to wait a little longer than I expected but oh well, I'm excited to see what they do with the Switch game! 

Ninja Gaiden - I'm really only interested in Black, but in general more highly rated action games is never a bad thing and I'd love to play this series. Hopefully Team Ninja eventually reboots it or makes a fourth one. 

Metal Gear Solid - Not really an example of a franchise I haven't spent a lot of time with - I actually did beat 3 and almost finished Peace Walker. Even spent a good few hours in 2 and 5 (though I never got far into it). The problem is that I've never really wanted to play through the games in a non-release order. The HD collection was painfully incomplete without 1, and by the time 5 came out I didn't have my 360 anymore and couldn't access the HD collection. This just seems like the kind of franchise that is much better if you play them all, especially in order of release. I mean Devil May Cry isn't known for it's story and even with that series that was the case, just to see all the neat evolutionary stages of ideas that had shown up in previous games. If they made the Legacy collection (which includes 1) and put it on consoles I'd buy it in a heartbeat. 

Sly Cooper: Really just needs a good re-release. 

Yeah you're definitely right about Animal Crossing. Wait until the Switch version. I said it to someone earlier, but New Leaf might be worth it if they get rid of the mayor abilities in the Switch version, because being mayor was really fun. But they probably won't. Sly Cooper 1 is the only one I've played, but it's a great series and I hope they make a remastered rerelease of the whole series in a collection, that'd be so dope.

rapsuperstar31 said:
Mass Effect, I got trilogy at the end of the ps3's life cycle but never got around to committing the amount of time needed to play them.

If you can get them on something else because the PS3 versions have awfully long and frequent loading times, even just using the elevator in Normandy takes 2 minute loading time every time, it's so terrible. Thankfully they came to senses and made grafix downgrades in the 3rd game and the loading times were noticably shorter in that one.

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

It's true that I haven't played many Nintendo franchises but I'm actually okay with that. Most of them don't appeal to me. However, the one that I'd really love to try is Fire Emblem. It looks right up my alley. That, and I remember wanting to play Advance Wars, though I don't know how those hold up now.

On the Xbox side, Halo has always been the one franchise there that I felt jealous over.

I've always wanted to try some kind of Warhammer game but, good grief, I have no idea where or how to start.

HylianSwordsman said:
GoOnKid said:

Man I have such good memories of those games, playing them with my cousin. Them and Age of Empires 2.

I had many friends back in those days who loved C&C and talked about it nonstop. I only played one of them for maybe 20 minutes and I somehow didn't feel it, so I moved on. I also peeked a bit into Warcraft and I realized how all units on both sides are mirroring each other, so it's kind of like Chess, I imagine. It can't get more balanced than that so I was somehow interested in how this was turned into a fantasy setting.

Anywho, Age of Empires I and II were both amazing games and insane time sinkers, I loved both.

Last edited by GoOnKid - on 17 March 2019

Probably Metal Gear Solid. Or maybe Final Fantasy? I don't know there are definitely a lot though.