By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Andrew Yang secured enough unique donors to enter debate stage

Do you like Andrew Yang?

Yang for president! 3 13.04%

Needs to be vice president of my first pick. 0 0%

We need his voice in the debate. 13 56.52%

Yang should fail with his presidential bid. 2 8.70%

Who is this again? 5 21.74%

Total:23
NightlyPoe said:
Biggerboat1 said:

I agree that there is a degree of unpredictability with these things but there are some serious job-replacement systems knocking on the door - maybe your 20 years prediction will prove to be correct, but maybe it will happen sooner and we need to be prepared for that... As I mentioned - the writing is on the wall for truck drivers and a little further down the road, ubers/taxis, delivery drivers & public transport - that alone will displace a boat-load of people, many of whom lack many transferrable skills or good education...

And in regards to computers - yes, I'm sure they had a big impact but what I would say is that a large amount of them require human input, whereas automation is another beast - it straight-up just doesn't need us!

Computers had more than a big impact.  They completely altered the workplace and made millions of jobs redundant.  Heck, I was displaced myself when my first adult job as a filing clerk was bypassed by digital records.  I don't know if you appreciate how much the jobs market has already changed over the years.  Entire ways of life have contracted, disappeared, gone overseas, or been replaced by a computer program.  Really, Trump won the presidency by appealing directly to the displaced (hence his victories in Pennsylvania and Michigan).

You seem a bit fixated on driving jobs.  Granted there's quite a few of them, even if the whole sector did get wiped out it wouldn't be as bad as the toll from the changes since the 70s.  Actually, given that driving jobs are spread out fairly evenly by region, it probably wouldn't be nearly as destructive as it is when manufacturing, farming, textile, or mining industry downturns rip the economic heart out and only known way of life of entire regions.

The issue is more when more when AI starts taking eating into vast chunks of the service economy and previously safe professional jobs that the paradigm will change.  And that's a bit further off than the self-driving car.

Done a bit of light research on my lunch break - this article is pretty interesting

A few notable points : 

"For the most part, other than during the periods of intense debate in the 1930s and 60s, the consensus in the 20th century among both professional economists and the general public remained that technology does not cause long-term joblessness."

"Concern about technological unemployment grew in 2013 due in part to a number of studies predicting substantially increased technological unemployment in forthcoming decades and empirical evidence that, in certain sectors, employment is falling worldwide despite rising output, thus discounting globalization and offshoring as the only causes of increasing unemployment."

"While himself doubtful about technological unemployment, professor Mark MacCarthy stated in the fall of 2014 that it is now the "prevailing opinion" that the era of technological unemployment has arrived."

So it seems that the general consensus is that the rise of computers in the 90s did not have a net impact on jobs, whereas opinion is moving towards the rise of automation significantly reducing jobs going forward.

I admit not everyone is on the same page though - some economists believe that jobs lost will be replaced by new, yet unknown, types of jobs, created by technology - who knows whether this will actually pan out...

The difference between computers in the 90s and automation now, is that many computers were used to augment a human's efficiency/productivity, so actually gave much better bang for buck for employees as they were able to do more per hour, which in turn could actually be the difference between an employer deciding to take on a new person or not.

Automation isn't making us more efficient/productive at our jobs - they're doing them for us...

I guess I focus on trucks & taxis as they are very much of the moment in the automation space and one of the poster children for the current wave of AI.

There are 1.7 million truck driver jobs & about a million taxi/uber drivers, which I guess isn't a huge chunk of the 153 million total but they offer some of the best paying jobs for those without higher education and a lot of these people will be completely left adrift if they're supplanted... So it's not just the quantity of these positions but also their quality that's loss will be felt.

Around the Network

With china going crazy lately there is no way we will get a chinese president anytime soon.

omarct said:
With china going crazy lately there is no way we will get a chinese president anytime soon.

Well, good thing then Andrew Yang is an american born in New York.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Mnementh said:
omarct said:

You know exactly what I mean, dont play dumb.

omarct said:
Mnementh said:

You know exactly american born people with chinese ancestry have nothing to do with the politics of the country china. Don't play dumb.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

Around the Network
Mnementh said:
omarct said:

You know exactly american born people with chinese ancestry have nothing to do with the politics of the country china. Don't play dumb.

You are being silly. I never said anything of what you are being so defensive about. All I said is that he having chinese ancestry is against him in the current political climate. You can bet all your money on Trump calling him a chinese spy if he manages to run against him. 

omarct said:
Mnementh said:

You are being silly. I never said anything of what you are being so defensive about. All I said is that he having chinese ancestry is against him in the current political climate. You can bet all your money on Trump calling him a chinese spy if he manages to run against him. 

Trump will call everyone something. I don't give much about that.

new guy with a focus on decreasing poverty levels and putting more effort towards advancing technology and innovation? about damn time, get this guy in a debate!

I definitely like that Yang seems to be carving his own niche with issues specifically on the economy/business and advancing techology. He seems like he focuses on practical issues facing young people in particular rather than typical flowery words and basic Dem talking points with no substance. He also recently mentioned he was anti-circ on Twitter, so a couple of points there for me heh.. Still need to find out more. Will have to watch that Joe Rogan podcast with him to gain more knowledge about his policies and ideals, but I'm intrigued.

As of now, I'm pretty much breaking up with Bernie haha.. He's gone a bit too heavy on the identity politics bs, and I still don't like that he sold out to the Clinton machine - though I'd still be ok with him being the candidate going up against Trump and may vote for him. Battle of the policial outsiders.

As of now my preferences are: Tulsi>>>>Yang>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Bernie>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Any other Dem candidate :P

Only really care about those 3 and those are probably the only 3 I'd vote for against Trump.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident - all men and women created by the, go-you know.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden

DarthMetalliCube said:
I definitely like that Yang seems to be carving his own niche with issues specifically on the economy/business and advancing techology. He seems like he focuses on practical issues facing young people in particular rather than typical flowery words and basic Dem talking points with no substance. He also recently mentioned he was anti-circ on Twitter, so a couple of points there for me heh.. Still need to find out more. Will have to watch that Joe Rogan podcast with him to gain more knowledge about his policies and ideals, but I'm intrigued.

As of now, I'm pretty much breaking up with Bernie haha.. He's gone a bit too heavy on the identity politics bs, and I still don't like that he sold out to the Clinton machine - though I'd still be ok with him being the candidate going up against Trump and may vote for him. Battle of the policial outsiders.

As of now my preferences are: Tulsi>>>>Yang>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Bernie>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Any other Dem candidate :P

Only really care about those 3 and those are probably the only 3 I'd vote for against Trump.

Well, Trump is pretty bad. Still, you should not vote against someone (as the election system doesn't allow that) but for someone. This means you should only vote for positive reasons instead of negative ones (like fear from Trump). This is important I think in general. In politics act out of confidence that you fight for the right path instead out of fear for something bad. Politicians know fear is a strong motivator and use it as tool to get policies into law, which are unloved and ultimately against the interests of the people.

That said, I personally would rate Elizabeth Warren also pretty high. Still prefer the three you named, but she thinks through her proposals. I think every president should have someone like Elizabeth Warren in his/her team and listen to her.

Also I dislike most policy opinions of Kamala Harris, but I am glad she reinforced her position against capital punishment. I hope she defends this position in the debates.