By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - EA is not doing a press conference at EA Play this year, games will be shown on live streams instead

They can show also games at MS/Nintendo direct etc :).

Around the Network

So can we consolidate the schedule down to one less day then? Nintendo on Sunday instead of Monday, perhaps?

Right call, E3 is irrelevant now.

Random_Matt said:

I love E3 .... but these last few years its been a little boring, doesn't help things getting leaked.

But if everyone was going I would actually agree with you, because if everyone is there, though its sometimes exciting for the viewer, for companies they are all fighting for the press inches and getting drowned out by each other. I think this year might be a bonus for ms because people dropping out or not doing the standard, they'll have it more to themselves.

So though I agree with everyone showing games its less relevant for companies, if there are less companies, it becomes a possible benefit. if that makes any sense at all...lol.

Making an indie game : Dead of Day!

Madword said:
Random_Matt said:

I love E3 .... but these last few years its been a little boring, doesn't help things getting leaked.

But if everyone was going I would actually agree with you, because if everyone is there, though its sometimes exciting for the viewer, for companies they are all fighting for the press inches and getting drowned out by each other. I think this year might be a bonus for ms because people dropping out or not doing the standard, they'll have it more to themselves.

So though I agree with everyone showing games its less relevant for companies, if there are less companies, it becomes a possible benefit. if that makes any sense at all...lol.

Guess so, but fundamentally social media has destroyed it's relevance, games just cannot be kept under wraps anymore. And then you have Sony having all these other shows they put out, E3 used to be the only thing, now we find out about what's on the horizon on youtube.

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:
Random_Matt said:

E3 had record breaking views on Twitch last year and had the largest attendance since 2005. But yeah, it's irrelevant now just because Sony backed out, lol. 

I agree though that it was smart for EA not to do a conference this year though, EA's conference last year was a total clusterf*ck. 

Record breaking views on twitch shows it's irrelevance, depends on which way you look at. It demonstrates social media/online streaming is where you can obtain audiences and save tons of cash by not bothering with E3. Hence EA is doing it's own shows, like Nintendo have done for a while now.

Random_Matt said:
shikamaru317 said:

E3 had record breaking views on Twitch last year and had the largest attendance since 2005. But yeah, it's irrelevant now just because Sony backed out, lol. 

I agree though that it was smart for EA not to do a conference this year though, EA's conference last year was a total clusterf*ck. 

Record breaking views on twitch shows it's irrelevance, depends on which way you look at. It demonstrates social media/online streaming is where you can obtain audiences and save tons of cash by not bothering with E3. Hence EA is doing it's own shows, like Nintendo have done for a while now.

I tend to agree with what Sony said  E3 needs to be early in the year their take on it was from the trade side of the conference were by June  the game releases up to the end of the year have already been set and the stock orders made , that only leaves the public and press,  the press are now in the age of the nonstop 24/7 news cycle so the value of E3 has diminished in that respect compared to what it once represented and that leaves the public and they can and are being be catered for in more cost effective ways .

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

mjk45 said:
Random_Matt said:

I tend to agree with what Sony said  E3 needs to be early in the year their take on it was from the trade side of the conference were by June  the game releases up to the end of the year have already been set and the stock orders made , that only leaves the public and press,  the press are now in the age of the nonstop 24/7 news cycle so the value of E3 has diminished in that respect compared to what it once represented and that leaves the public and they can and are being be catered for in more cost effective ways .

Hm, would E3 make sense at the end of the fiscal year in March. It actually might

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
Really to me, this just means that companies are gearing up for next gen. In particular a company like EA that has a pretty limited set of games (though they have been expanding through their publishing) doesn't really have a reason to attend.

I would love for someone who isn't lazy like me, maybe someone who happens to be small has a temper and loves transmuting base objects to gold, look at all of EA's IP and see after taking away the dross how many worthwhile IP's they have beside the usual suspects.

melbye said:
mjk45 said:

Hm, would E3 make sense at the end of the fiscal year in March. It actually might

I think Sony indicated February ,but March 3 months into the new year early enough for peoples excitement about what's to come still being high, I agree with you that seems like a really good time.

Last edited by mjk45 - on 07 March 2019