By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Devil May Cry V Review Thread - MC: 88 | OC: 88

Tagged games:

Dat story plot ............. the presentation is good though

Around the Network
John2290 said:
Oh Lord. The difficulty trophies don't stack, I was looking forward to platinuming this and all, now my excitement is gone. I can't imagine going back after heaven and hell and going back now seems like a chore. Fuck their oversight, such a rookie mistake. Always respect the platinum process motherfuckers!

No option to just play the last mission to unlock the difficult related trophies?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Meta is now 87 for PS4.
9.5 from .gamersky.

”Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.”

Harriet Tubman.

John2290 said:
DonFerrari said:

No option to just play the last mission to unlock the difficult related trophies?

You can replay missions on the difficulty you started them on first go around, they are all in a tree like unlock list for each difficulty. There is also a trophy for S-ranking every mission on every difficulty which might sound backwards but is a lot harder to do now with OP abilities and so few enemies. Such a damn pity, this play through is going to ruin it for me so I'm going to attempt to play one mission of SOS and the return to it on Human and try not to effect my muscle memory by avoiding OP combos. 

If you hav'nt started and want to platinum the smartest thing to do would be start at human although it is still ridiculously easy without unlocks, so it Devil Hunter until the last 5 or 6 missions though.

SOS is really hard this time around though so I'm not sure Heaven and hell or hell and hell would even be viable for some people or even Dante must die and this rate. 

Understood, that is "bad design" for this time and age. But it isn't unheard of. I do remember because of excess of caution for me to plat Uncharted 1 I played the whole game in each difficult in succession because I didn't know the trophies stacked.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

John2290 said:
DonFerrari said:

Understood, that is "bad design" for this time and age. But it isn't unheard of. I do remember because of excess of caution for me to plat Uncharted 1 I played the whole game in each difficult in succession because I didn't know the trophies stacked.

It's not exactly a bad thing, yeah given how short the game is but with how stupidly easy Human is it is a pain in the ass, they should have given a notice first when starting the game. I've played a few games with this set up but they didn't require trophies based on achieving a certain rank that how OP you are effects how you achieve that Rank. I'm play g both SOS and Human now, one mission each at a time and SOS is infinetly eaider to Srank on, I'm afraid to upgrade my abilities anymore and this is a kick in the balls. 

Nahhh I would say not stacking is very bad. It is cool to have a disclaimer that you have trophy for difficult and that they advise starting in lower difficult for newcomers. But not only having to play the game in all difficulties but also S rank all missions in all difficulties is very lame.

Around the Network

I will get the Deluxe Edition tomorrow.

Did the PC version go back to 90? Could have sworn it went from 91, to 89, to now 90.

John2290 said:

Well, it's lost it's shot as being my favourite DMC game as the Devil breakers and dances weapons cycle only in one direction, which wouldn't be an issue had some enemies not required certain weapons or the environment didn't rely on some devil breakers. It might be the most single idiotic decision I've seen in a great AAA game, I'm not sure what they were sidestepping here but they should have found another way, for emaple the to as is used to change stance for Dante and all the had to do was use the weapon cycle buttons as a hold to toggle the dpad for use. What they have implemented is something that constantly scews you over when searching for weapons, for emaple I'm speeding a teleportation enemy with Cerberus and then want to switch to the bike in to break an enemies shield without having to parry but there is two weapons inbetween. Sure you can memorize what weapons are on track but it is do inefficient that it ruins the game on higher difficulties. Having to break Neros devil breakers to cycle them is even worse. DmC remake is still my favourite for the gameplay and enemies, and not related but level design too, how effing bland is this game from mission to mission. Smh.

Do much to love in the game the first and second pkaythrough but when attempting higher difficulties the game reveals how inefficiently designed around the controller and my God is the lock on system a step back from every game in the last decade. They could have done so much better than this. A real pity for such a solid game not even to mention the pay to win they snuck past people with orbs and MT's.

Although overall I'd class this as the best DMC game I do agree the DB decision was stupid as the's no real reason why they couldn't let the player cycle in any direction as well as them not breaking or at least allow such features to be unlockable it's just a means of adding artificial difficulty that also impacts potential depth. My other issue is the camera's erratic nature as sometimes you'd be in the middle of a combo string and it just randomly turns rotates during certain moves which messes with your inputs.

This game has pretty godly music 

(This atmospheric piece, "Flying Outdoors", is actually one of my favorite - been searching for it since launch xD) 

Spoiler!

(both versions of Silver Bullet are kind of different, I prefer the 2nd one, which is the game's version I believe, overall)