By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Will Mario Maker 2 become a 10+ million seller?

Tagged games:

I predict it will sell...

Less than 10 million 22 20.56%

Over 10 million 85 79.44%

Total:107

Without a doubt

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
Yerm said:
i see the main deciding factor to this being the price. i know that the original Super Mario Maker was $60 and SMM2 expands a lot on that concept, but i can see sales being significantly higher if the price was cut down to $50 or even $40

So at $60 how much do you think SMM2 will sell?

It has a huge chance. Mario Maker was big, but stifled by the Wii U, and 2 looks like everything people liked plus more. Most of the Wii U owners who carried over will probably pick it up, and tons of Switch owners who wanted the original, but not the console it was on.

The first game was awesome and sold fairly well on the Wii U. I think based on what we know for sure it will do 10m+. If it actually has multiplayer like a lot of people suspect, then it will do a lot more than 10m. This is the main 2D mario game for the Switch and people just go nuts for 2D mario.

Yerm said:
i see the main deciding factor to this being the price. i know that the original Super Mario Maker was $60 and SMM2 expands a lot on that concept, but i can see sales being significantly higher if the price was cut down to $50 or even $40

If there's anything Tropical Freeze has shown us, it's that consumers don't care about fair pricing ... 

JK JK JK JK JK 

Ok but seriously, while I kind of get the concept of making "remix" or "create your own ..." games cheaper, due to the fact that they're usually reusing assets and require the player to make most of the fun themselves, I don't see what's the issue with $60 pricing. Especially if we get a shit ton of new features, or features that are at least very important. We're already seeing that in a lot of ways: New enemies like the Angry Sun, Vertical Levels, 3D World Style, etc. 

Around the Network

Yeah, easily

Without a doubt.

Insert Coin. Press START. You Died. Continue?

INB4 it peaks at 9M and all the posts here age like milk.

In all seriousness, it definitely will surpass that.

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

Over the course of its first year I believe it should, and over the lifetime of the switch should do more than 20 million. I'm more curious as to see if they would ever do a Mariokart game similar to this.

I think it will. Mario Maker is the only Wii U game that still has an active community and that community will quickly (have to) switch over to the new title. If Nintendo can highlight to the not-so-hardcore new Switch owners that you can play a lot of levels and not just create them, this will be an evergreen title. The audience of people who want to make Mario levels may be limited. But the audience of people who want to play them is huge.