By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Will Mario Maker 2 become a 10+ million seller?

Tagged games:

I predict it will sell...

Less than 10 million 22 20.56%

Over 10 million 85 79.44%

Total:107

Easiest 10 milion seller since Smash. The game is coming out in year 3 of the Switch with a thriving userbase and an already consolidated comunity for the first Mario Maker, it's going to be BIG

Last edited by Luke888 - on 02 March 2019

Around the Network

I think the original Splatoon vs. original MM is a pretty good analogy. Original Splatoon was more popular on Wii u by a bit. If the sequel on Switch doesn't easily surpass 10m the MM2 may struggle to reach it. If it comfortably surpasses it then using it as a yardstick MM2 has the chance to do so too.
For the record i voted yes, initially without putting too much thought into it.

DON'T WIN ME CHIBI BUDDY DON'T WIN ME.

ANIMAL CROSSING NEW LEAF FRIEND CODE:- 5129 1175 1029. MESSAGE ME.
ANDY MURRAY:- GRAND SLAM WINNER!

In my opinion the N64 was not just the best console of the 5th gen but, to this day the best console ever created!

curl-6 said:
RolStoppable said:
No. It's a level editor and will rely on usergenerated content. Most fans of 2D Mario will skip the game because they want professional content AND coherent world building, that's why the included professional levels in Super Mario Maker 2 won't be good enough.

So basically, the idea is that due to its reliance on user-created levels, it will not appeal to the primary 2D Mario audience who want a full-game's worth of professional levels ready-made for them? Won't the user-creation aspect draw in an additional audience of its own though, spreading through the showing off of custom levels on Youtube and such in much the same way as Minecraft, where kids will see some crazy user-created level and want to try it for themselves?

The audience for usergenerated content is small. The main reason for Minecraft's success is not usergenerated content; it's the adventure in a randomly generated world where the player can do what they want; it's the same basic idea (do what you want) that makes Breath of the Wild sell so well. What users create in Minecraft are not levels, but buildings and other things with the available resources.

8m lifetime would already be a great result for Super Mario Maker 2, but 10m seems so unrealistic considering how games that were about usergenerated content have fared in the past.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Shipments

No.

Mario Maker is an insult to real Mario Fans.

Edit: real Mario = '2d Mario' = SMB

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

Pyro as Bill said:

No.

I would like to know why you think this 

Around the Network

No. 7-8 million.

Pyro as Bill said:

No.

Mario Maker is a love letter to real Mario Fans.

MasonADC said:
Pyro as Bill said:

No.

I would like to know why you think this 

Valve: "We were going to give you Half Life 3 but we decided to let you mod Half Life 2 instead"

Wii Uers: " Amazeballs"

SMB Fans: "Go fuck yourself"

Given that Nintendo is built on Super Mario Bros, some of us expect environments/game-play/soundtracks/production values akin to what it's overhyped, crappy, spinoff (3D Mario) gets.

Neither Mario Kart or SMB get the treatment they deserve compared to the 'fat, crappy controls Mario' that isn't even a real Mario game.

Lryu222 said:
Pyro as Bill said:

No.

It's a love letter to the WiiU crowd. It's a dirty diaper to actual fans of Super Mario Bros.

Pyro as Bill said:
Lryu222 said:

It's a love letter to the WiiU crowd. It's a dirty diaper to actual fans of Super Mario Bros.

Wow, really? Every time I think that you couldn't possibly be any worse as a poster, you pull out a post like this and prove that you aren't completely crazy.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Shipments