By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Pick Your Gen 8 Starter!

Tagged games:

Which starter would you choose?

Grookey 19 25.33%

Sobble 27 36.00%

Scorbunny 25 33.33%

I can't decide yet! 4 5.33%

Total:75
shikamaru317 said:

Scorbunny gave me instant Fire/Fighting vibes honestly. The patch on it's nose even looks like a bandage from where it has been fighting... Not to mention that Hares and Rabbit's both are known for boxing. 

He's called Scorbunny. He plays football/soccer. That's why the bandage, I think. What the hell fighting style would he have if he were fighting anyway? He seems to be based on an athlete, not a fighter or anything known for fighting like most fighting Pokemon.

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:

Scorbunny gave me instant Fire/Fighting vibes honestly. The patch on it's nose even looks like a bandage from where it has been fighting... Not to mention that male Hares and Rabbits both are known for boxing in the spring. 

Scorbunny is a football Pokémon, which is why he has those things. Not sure if football means Fighting-type, honestly I don't know what type they'd even associate with it to begin with. Maybe Fire/Normal? It looks Normal-type enough to me, I guess.

mZuzek said:
shikamaru317 said:

Scorbunny gave me instant Fire/Fighting vibes honestly. The patch on it's nose even looks like a bandage from where it has been fighting... Not to mention that male Hares and Rabbits both are known for boxing in the spring. 

Scorbunny is a football Pokémon, which is why he has those things. Not sure if football means Fighting-type, honestly I don't know what type they'd even associate with it to begin with. Maybe Fire/Normal? It looks Normal-type enough to me, I guess.

We've never had a normal starter, unless you count Eevee in PLGE, which I wouldn't. I could see Scorbunny having some kick related fighting moves at some point, but basing a fighting Pokemon around an athlete from a particular team sport would be weird, to me. That said, a normal starter would be immune to ghost but unable to affect them with half his moves, and have multiple weaknesses but no strengths. So I'm hoping it isn't normal either.

Scorbunny for me too!

Pocky Lover Boy! 

HylianSwordsman said:
mZuzek said:

We've never had a normal starter, unless you count Eevee in PLGE, which I wouldn't. I could see Scorbunny having some kick related fighting moves at some point, but basing a fighting Pokemon around an athlete from a particular team sport would be weird, to me. That said, a normal starter would be immune to ghost but unable to affect them with half his moves, and have multiple weaknesses but no strengths. So I'm hoping it isn't normal either.

Normal having never happened before doesn't mean it can happen now. Gen 6 had a Psychic type one for example and that had never happened, gen 7 had a Ghost type one and it was also a new thing (also Fairy but that doesn't really count I guess). Also Scorbunny being Normal-type would just him him immunity to Ghost without any real drawbacks, you could still hit them with STAB Fire-type moves and obviously those are not going to be the only two types of moves on your moveset.

Around the Network

Sobble.
Maybe it'll cry (sob) out it's water attacks.

Grooky is by far the best design, though I feel like his design transitions the worst to 3D CGI. Kinda sad that he isn't that popular. And he has a very stupid name. Very stupid.

Link to the VGChartz Discord server: https://discord.gg/2uMTaYtv

Someday you will die somehow 

And something's gonna steal your carbon 

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
Grooky is by far the best design, though I feel like his design transitions the worst to 3D CGI. Kinda sad that he isn't that popular. And he has a very stupid name. Very stupid.

Agreed about his transition to CGI being the worst. I don't really know why they'd announce the starters in some CGI without cel-shading, anyway.

Also, rip STRAIGHT TO DAMNATION?!!

A rabbit fire type? Wow, GF simply REFUSES to give us a quadreped final fire type don't they? And it looks fire/fighting already. Grookey is basic as hell and his name sounds like some disease a toddler would spread. Sobble may have one of the worst names in the history of Pokemon and I have no idea what it's supposed to be, but I'm oddly here for it. At least it's unique. Gives me Mudkip vibes. 

mZuzek said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:

Agreed about his transition to CGI being the worst. I don't really know why they'd announce the starters in some CGI without cel-shading, anyway.

Also, rip STRAIGHT TO DAMNATION?!!

Yeah I don't either - without cell shading he looks bad. 

Also, I probably will bring it back. When I was editing this sig it didn't work. The only thing I don't remember is if I did bold italic underlined for ALL of it, or only some of the text. Think it was bold underline for Straight to damnation (like you say) and then bold italic underlined with headline 1 or 2 for the 2nd part.

Link to the VGChartz Discord server: https://discord.gg/2uMTaYtv

Someday you will die somehow 

And something's gonna steal your carbon