By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Pick Your Gen 8 Starter!

Tagged games:

Which starter would you choose?

Grookey 19 25.33%

Sobble 27 36.00%

Scorbunny 25 33.33%

I can't decide yet! 4 5.33%

Total:75
mZuzek said:
HylianSwordsman said:

We've never had a normal starter, unless you count Eevee in PLGE, which I wouldn't. I could see Scorbunny having some kick related fighting moves at some point, but basing a fighting Pokemon around an athlete from a particular team sport would be weird, to me. That said, a normal starter would be immune to ghost but unable to affect them with half his moves, and have multiple weaknesses but no strengths. So I'm hoping it isn't normal either.

Normal having never happened before doesn't mean it can happen now. Gen 6 had a Psychic type one for example and that had never happened, gen 7 had a Ghost type one and it was also a new thing (also Fairy but that doesn't really count I guess). Also Scorbunny being Normal-type would just him him immunity to Ghost without any real drawbacks, you could still hit them with STAB Fire-type moves and obviously those are not going to be the only two types of moves on your moveset.

Oh definitely, yeah, it could absolutely happen. What I meant by that statement was actually that since it hadn't happened, that was an option for them, since fire/fighting was overused and wouldn't really make sense for an athlete. The latter half was me saying why I wouldn't want it, the first half was me saying why it would be interesting if they did. You make a good point that the immunity would effectively be one way due to his dual fire typing. It would be interesting then if Sobble was water/ghost to his fire/normal, making him extra weak to Sobble in that he'd be forced to use a move Sobble was resistant to if he wanted to do any damage. And since Grookie is speculated to be the starter with a fighting final evolution because of his stick (though that wouldn't make sense either since he's a croquet player) then he would have moves that were super effective against the fire starter, so that would make Scorbunny the objectively worst starter. Since Grookie would then not be able to use his fighting moves against Sobble, that would make Sobble the objectively best choice for a starter. At least when considering your rival's team, and for PVP purposes since so many people would have their starter on their team.

Around the Network
AngryLittleAlchemist said:
Grooky is by far the best design, though I feel like his design transitions the worst to 3D CGI. Kinda sad that he isn't that popular. And he has a very stupid name. Very stupid.

Grookey is a GReen monKEY ROOKie, because he's green both literally and figuratively (in experience), is a monkey, and is a rookie (which fits his sports theme as a croquet player). It's actually a very clever name. Scorbunny is a more stupid name in my opinion, and also doesn't benefit from the transition to 3D model.

As of right now, Grookey. But I don’t make my decision till I see the final evos.

[Switch Friend code: 3909-3991-4970]

[Xbox Live: JissuWolfe]

[PSN: Jissu]

So far I prefer Scorbunny but my final decision will depend on the looks of the final stages.

https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Sobble_(Pok%C3%A9mon)

So according to Bulbapedia, Sobble, a combination of the words sob and bubble, is called Messon in Japanese, a combination of sobbing and chameleon, and is called Memmeon in German, a combination of sissy and chameleon. The creators weren't just making a shy chameleon, they were pretty explicitly going for crybaby chameleon.

Around the Network

im a bigger fan of Scorbunny's design, but i am picking Sobble. i always go with the water starter

shikamaru317 said:
HylianSwordsman said:
https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Sobble_(Pok%C3%A9mon)

So according to Bulbapedia, Sobble, a combination of the words sob and bubble, is called Messon in Japanese, a combination of sobbing and chameleon, and is called Memmeon in German, a combination of sissy and chameleon. The creators weren't just making a shy chameleon, they were pretty explicitly going for crybaby chameleon.

I saw that earlier today. Has me leaning toward Sobble already, I have a feeling that this little crybaby is going to turn into a badass in his 3rd form xD

What if he turns into an emo kid though?

Just kidding, I actually think he's going to be the lockness monster, as there seems to be a theme with the starters of drawing from UK culture. Speaking of which, I just found out Grookey is probably a reference to Britain's contributions to rock and roll, and is probably a drummer, not a croquet player!

https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Grookey_(Pok%C3%A9mon)

His name in Japanese is Sarunori, rhythm monkey. French is Ouistempo, or marmoset tempo. The Chinese means "hit sound monkey" and the Korean means "excitement monkey" so it really sounds like he's a rock and roll drummer! He's way cooler in my mind now, though I'm still leaning Scorbunny until I see the final forms. Scorbunny's other language names only mean some variation of "flame bunny" with no reference to football, but it definitely looks like that's what they're going for. Otherwise they'd have just called him scorchbunny.

shikamaru317 said:

We saw that already with the Rowlet line last gen: Rowlet is that kid whose mom makes him wear a bowtie to school, all of the bullying he received from wearing a bowtie turned him into a emo as a teenager (Dartrix), but eventually, toughened up by all of that bullying, he finally finds his place in the world as a badass Archer, Decidueye. 

Yeah, that makes sense. I do think they'll turn him into the Loch Ness monster as well though. How else do they relate it back to the UK? The UK doesn't have a monopoly on emo kids or bullying. Loch Ness is the only thing I can think of, and it would make sense with the ability to disappear in water.

As time has now passed, I am defineitly team scorbunny. Grookey will 100% become the huge, ugly starter in this gen, and I’m only picking sobble if scorbunny is fire/fighting

MasonADC said:
As time has now passed, I am defineitly team scorbunny. Grookey will 100% become the huge, ugly starter in this gen, and I’m only picking sobble if scorbunny is fire/fighting

Call Grookey ugly one more time, I dare you.