By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Pick Your Gen 8 Starter!

Tagged games:

Which starter would you choose?

Grookey 19 25.33%

Sobble 27 36.00%

Scorbunny 25 33.33%

I can't decide yet! 4 5.33%

Total:75
AngryLittleAlchemist said:
Grooky is by far the best design, though I feel like his design transitions the worst to 3D CGI. Kinda sad that he isn't that popular. And he has a very stupid name. Very stupid.

Grookey is a GReen monKEY ROOKie, because he's green both literally and figuratively (in experience), is a monkey, and is a rookie (which fits his sports theme as a croquet player). It's actually a very clever name. Scorbunny is a more stupid name in my opinion, and also doesn't benefit from the transition to 3D model.

Around the Network

As of right now, Grookey. But I don’t make my decision till I see the final evos.

[Switch Friend code: 3909-3991-4970]

[Xbox Live: JissuWolfe]

[PSN: Jissu]

So far I prefer Scorbunny but my final decision will depend on the looks of the final stages.

https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Sobble_(Pok%C3%A9mon)

So according to Bulbapedia, Sobble, a combination of the words sob and bubble, is called Messon in Japanese, a combination of sobbing and chameleon, and is called Memmeon in German, a combination of sissy and chameleon. The creators weren't just making a shy chameleon, they were pretty explicitly going for crybaby chameleon.

im a bigger fan of Scorbunny's design, but i am picking Sobble. i always go with the water starter

Around the Network
HylianSwordsman said:

So according to Bulbapedia, Sobble, a combination of the words sob and bubble, is called Messon in Japanese, a combination of sobbing and chameleon, and is called Memmeon in German, a combination of sissy and chameleon. The creators weren't just making a shy chameleon, they were pretty explicitly going for crybaby chameleon.

I saw that earlier today. Has me leaning toward Sobble already, I have a feeling that this little crybaby is going to turn into a badass in his 3rd form xD

shikamaru317 said:
HylianSwordsman said:

I saw that earlier today. Has me leaning toward Sobble already, I have a feeling that this little crybaby is going to turn into a badass in his 3rd form xD

What if he turns into an emo kid though?

Just kidding, I actually think he's going to be the lockness monster, as there seems to be a theme with the starters of drawing from UK culture. Speaking of which, I just found out Grookey is probably a reference to Britain's contributions to rock and roll, and is probably a drummer, not a croquet player!

https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Grookey_(Pok%C3%A9mon)

His name in Japanese is Sarunori, rhythm monkey. French is Ouistempo, or marmoset tempo. The Chinese means "hit sound monkey" and the Korean means "excitement monkey" so it really sounds like he's a rock and roll drummer! He's way cooler in my mind now, though I'm still leaning Scorbunny until I see the final forms. Scorbunny's other language names only mean some variation of "flame bunny" with no reference to football, but it definitely looks like that's what they're going for. Otherwise they'd have just called him scorchbunny.

HylianSwordsman said:
shikamaru317 said:

What if he turns into an emo kid though?

Just kidding, I actually think he's going to be the lockness monster, as there seems to be a theme with the starters of drawing from UK culture. Speaking of which, I just found out Grookey is probably a reference to Britain's contributions to rock and roll, and is probably a drummer, not a croquet player!

https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Grookey_(Pok%C3%A9mon)

His name in Japanese is Sarunori, rhythm monkey. French is Ouistempo, or marmoset tempo. The Chinese means "hit sound monkey" and the Korean means "excitement monkey" so it really sounds like he's a rock and roll drummer! He's way cooler in my mind now, though I'm still leaning Scorbunny until I see the final forms. Scorbunny's other language names only mean some variation of "flame bunny" with no reference to football, but it definitely looks like that's what they're going for. Otherwise they'd have just called him scorchbunny.

We saw that already with the Rowlet line last gen: Rowlet is that kid whose mom makes him wear a bowtie to school, all of the bullying he received from wearing a bowtie turned him into a emo as a teenager (Dartrix), but eventually, toughened up by all of that bullying, he finally finds his place in the world as a badass Archer, Decidueye. 

shikamaru317 said:

We saw that already with the Rowlet line last gen: Rowlet is that kid whose mom makes him wear a bowtie to school, all of the bullying he received from wearing a bowtie turned him into a emo as a teenager (Dartrix), but eventually, toughened up by all of that bullying, he finally finds his place in the world as a badass Archer, Decidueye. 

Yeah, that makes sense. I do think they'll turn him into the Loch Ness monster as well though. How else do they relate it back to the UK? The UK doesn't have a monopoly on emo kids or bullying. Loch Ness is the only thing I can think of, and it would make sense with the ability to disappear in water.

HylianSwordsman said:
shikamaru317 said:

Yeah, that makes sense. I do think they'll turn him into the Loch Ness monster as well though. How else do they relate it back to the UK? The UK doesn't have a monopoly on emo kids or bullying. Loch Ness is the only thing I can think of, and it would make sense with the ability to disappear in water.

Could be, but then again, we already have a Pokemon based on the Loch Ness Monster, Lapras (it was originally going to be called Ness in the English version of Red/Blue). A Loch Ness Monster based design might resemble Samurott too much as well, which is of course a quadruped with a long neck. Also, considering the Galar map has what appears to be 3 Lochs, I feel like they might want to make the Loch Ness Monster a catchable Pokemon in one of those 3 Lochs, either Lapras or a brand new Pokemon based on Nessie, possibly even one of the Legendaries or Mythics in the game.

I would rather say that it will just be a large, quadruped water lizard in it's final form, with the ability to camouflage itself, since we saw that Sobble can already do that. I'm thinking the 3rd form will either be Water-Ghost, with the camouflage actually being phasing, or possibly Water-Dark again like Greninja. But we shall see. I am definitely looking forward to the 3rd form reveal, as I can't decide between the 3 based on the first form.