By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Most Annoying Parts of JRPGs

Just to be clear, I don't mind random battles in general. Just when they happen every three steps. Most games only have random battles every five to ten steps, but there are a few out there where it gets to be insane. 

Keybladewielder said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

What parts of JRPGs really annoy you? Here's mine in no real order...

1. Easy pointless battles

Some JRPGs will make their fights so easy that you can just turn on auto-attack, and win the fight within the first turn. No strategizing required. 

I love Suikoden 2 but I did this a lot of of times in that game, even in the last dungeon :P

I'm currently playing Suikoden 2, and it does have that flaw! But it makes up for it with quick battle animations, where most characters attack simultaneously. So, instead of having to watch as each of your 6 characters does an attack one after the next, you just watch as entire rows attack at once. 

Oh, and no spoilers (I'm only about 11 hours in), but so far Suikoden 2's story is nuts! ACTUAL CONSEQUENCES FOR WAR!

Around the Network
HylianSwordsman said:
I thought of another one. I hate battle systems that don't give a place for as many party members as I want. If there are 8 recruitable party members, and all of them interest me to some degree, and I find their fighting styles interesting, I should be able to have them all fight with me. It makes no sense to me that I get a game over from a nearly defeated enemy when there are 4 or 5 more characters just sitting on the sidelines that could keep fighting. Not to mention, it's an enormous pain in the ass to constantly switch party members out to keep everybody trained, so especially if there isn't experience sharing, you end up with several characters massively underleveled compared to the ones you tend to use the most. When you have to sideline certain characters, not only do they not get stronger, they barely even feel like part of the journey. I hate it. It really sucks if there's a main character that you want in the party because duh, he's the main character, but then the main character has a best childhood friend that would never leave his side so duh, he has to be in the party, and the father figure that always bails him out of tight situations isn't going to sit on the sidelines when the main character is in trouble in a tough battle so duh, he has to be in the party, and then you're out of slots, or if you have one more, it goes to the love interest, because the story wouldn't make much sense if these people were sidelined in every battle. But then that means you don't really get to know the other recruitable characters. So just let me put all 8 characters in battle! Why are they there if they can't all battle? Where do they go when the other characters are fighting? Oh what's that? You were just too lazy to balance the encounters for more than 3 or 4 characters? Well fuck you then, developer! Some of my favorite RPGs are ones that only have as many characters as character slots because by the end of them all the characters are well developed and you feel close to each of them because you fought alongside them the whole time instead of just the one or two sidequests where they were mandatory or something.

I like the games that at least let the reserves auto take over if the team is ko'ed and even better when party heal includes reserves so I can then bring them back if I want.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

HylianSwordsman said:
noname2200 said:
Plot raisins?

Anyhow, I vote for crappy writing that drags on way too long. Why use ten words when you can repeat yourself fifteen times instead?

What are plot raisins? Google comes up with nothing for this.

Plot raisins are plots of land were you grow your Raison D'etre, so your rpgs have a reason for their existence and don't endure an existential crisis.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

mjk45 said:
HylianSwordsman said:

What are plot raisins? Google comes up with nothing for this.

Plot raisins are plots of land were you grow your Raison D'etre, so your rpgs have a reason for their existence and don't endure an existential crisis.

I since figured it out, but yes, of course the main character's town was destroyed so that he has a reason to leave it. Also he was framed for destroying it and banished for good measure so that he can't return when it's rebuilt. Uh oh! A major misunderstanding that allows for the plot to happen in the first place is about to be resolved! Someone better get amnesia quick so that the story can continue for several more hours! Alright that's it, I'm out of ideas for how to make the player care about this, better kill a beloved character out of nowhere in a cutscene just to piss them off so they'll give a shit about what's going on.

For real though, how does Google turn up nothing on this? I swear I've heard it before this thread, and it does make sense, I just didn't figure it out right away. Plot reasons, but said stupidly because the reasons are stupid so plot raisins.

mjk45 said:

I like the games that at least let the reserves auto take over if the team is ko'ed and even better when party heal includes reserves so I can then bring them back if I want.

The more convenient and quick it is to switch the reserves out the better, and yes, being able to bring a healer from reserves to revive the now reserved KO'd character to full health before bringing them out again is the best. If I were designing an RPG, I'd make some sort of understanding that everyone is fighting, but the battle focuses on the characters in the active party. I'd make experience shared among all characters active and inactive on these grounds, and only characters that started and ended the battle in KO state get no experience, characters that are KO'd for a portion get reduced experience except for bosses where everyone gets full experience, and bosses would always have some full party revive mechanic with a save before them (and skippable cutscenes). I might make a system where you can have multiple teams, with the understanding that the other team is fighting another group of monsters or something, and you can decide which team to focus on for the battle, and call for help from a member of another team if you need. I don't know what the solution is, but in any game where the party grows beyond what the developer is willing to design battles for, the developer needs to come up with something to prevent the reserve characters from being underleveled and irrelevant to the player's experience of the game.

Around the Network
couchmonkey said:
Louie said:

Theoretically, you can finish your chosen character’s path and put the game down, but that is probably still 60 or so hours (80 if you are me, I can’t say no to npcs).  

I agree with too much dialogue (try playing some snes rpgs to see how heavy dialogue has gotten) and the complaints about sexualization of girls. Unskippable scenes are bad too, but most game are over that now.

About Octopath: Yeah, you're right on that one. But beating just one storyline didn't really feel like finishing the game to me, maybe that's why I didn't go down that, uhh... path.

Bolded: I agree here. I'm not against sexualization of women (or man) at all but it's just too damn distracting at times and done for no reason. It just feels wrong in some games. I don't play an RPG to feel sexual stuff lol. Unless, of course, it fits the story. For example the female character outfits in Xenoblade 2 were just silly for the most part. 

Those are all reminiscent of old days, possibly due to the small team and capacity of the system. But yes nowadays I would rather have all battles interesting while also not needing to grind.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

I'll add some of my personal gripes:

1. Many games have an unsatisfying experience curve. In Area A, you get 50 XP per mob, but in Area B, you get 1000 XP per mob. Regardless of how much grinding you do, you'll pretty much always be in the same spot.

2. Economy: I like when my gold is valuable in games, but it seems as though many developers think it's okay to shower the player with gold. It's even worse when it follows a similar curve as in my previous example.

3. Missables: Accidentally entering a loading zone which triggers a cutscene that progresses the story in a way that prevents me from going back can be frustrating, but it's even worse when there are items that can no longer be obtained as a result.

4. OP Pre-order Bonuses: The game would be more enjoyable if I didn't get a really nice looking weapon with stats that trivialize the early game just as a bonus for pre-ordering.

5. Difficulty: My ideal JRPG would start out with a medium amount of difficulty, but as the game progresses, would become hard, with a final boss that's very hard. Part of the reason I love this genre is because I have the ability to grind and train my characters if it gets too hard. When it's easy without doing any of that, it's kind of a turn off.

Mostly the sexualization of girls. and random encounters

Running around with a party of 10 and only 3 are allowed to go into battle at the same time.

Just give me epic battles with my full team!!!!

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3