By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Most Annoying Parts of JRPGs

For me it's always that last little bit of grinding right before the final boss. You know when you try it 3-5 time with multiple different strategies and just come to the conclusion you need to grind but you just want to wrap things up instead of running back and forth killing stuff and doing bs quests for the next few hours

Around the Network
HylianSwordsman said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

Xenoblade 2 has a lot of that. But it also tends to blatantly parody that as well. The whole Tora and Poppi relationship just parodies that sort of thing the whole time. Tora is a Nopon, and shouldn't be attracted to humans, or robots, or maids. The fact that he is is just comedy gold. It works for the same reasons that Pepe Lepew and the cat works as comedy. It's a bit like the "Did you see that android in the lunchline?" skit from the Portal parody https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uz5cl131KTk Tora, and Portal Turrets aren't supposed to be sexual beings. So the fact that they are is hilarious. 

Right, it can be done tastefully, in a way that's actually funny. Haven't gotten around to playing XBC2 yet, it's sadly in my backlog, but I've heard it has a fair bit of the cringier parts as well. I've also heard it is an awesome game otherwise, so I'm sure I'll love it to pieces, but it might end up on the "awkward to play with girlfriend" pile.

Imo the writing never gets too bad or cringy but pyra and mythra's designs are almost distracting. Every now and then you can't help but notice pyra's massive D cups in her skin tight outfit and it just takes you out of the moment in what should otherwise be a darker or more touching scene. 

i love jrpgs more than western rpg, but that's personally taste, even the long battle animation you mentioned is something that doesn't disturb me....

Too much dialogue
Tiny font
Grinding

- I'm usually tolerant to padding but I don't like when it's super blatant, like the last 4 chapters of Bravely Default ugh.

- Shounen happy-go-lucky protagonist that is supposed to be very dumb (I love Kingdom Hearts 2 but I'm not a big fan of how Sora's personality changed from KH1 to KH2, and in KH3 they use the "Sora is so dumb" shtick all the time ugh). Aside from that I don't mind most cliches :p

-Random battles don't bother me that much (as long as they're not too frequent) but I'm glad that less and less games use them nowadays (or give you the option to turn them off or make them less frequent...if only World of Final Fantasy had that).

Last edited by Keybladewielder - on 25 February 2019

Around the Network
Cerebralbore101 said:

What parts of JRPGs really annoy you? Here's mine in no real order...

1. Easy pointless battles

Some JRPGs will make their fights so easy that you can just turn on auto-attack, and win the fight within the first turn. No strategizing required. 

I love Suikoden 2 but I did this a lot of of times in that game, even in the last dungeon :P

The often incredibly long main story. I like JRPGs a lot but 90% of them seemingly want to impress players by shoving an extremely long main plot down your throat.

Take Octopath Traveller: Great game, great characters, great style... but after 40 hours of playtime I was less than halfway through the game. I don't have time to invest 100 hours into a game. I'm perfectly fine with a 25 hour storyline and then devs can add DLC and post-game stuff as much as they want.

Same with Dragon Quest XI, which looks totally gorgeous to me but after reading some PS4 reviews the game apparently lasts around 100 hours. It would take me 6 months to finish the game! I'm considering Final Fantasy XII because of the speed-up function but I doubt this will reduce play-time significantly enough for me. The longest I played a game this gen was Breath of the Wild at around 55 hours for my first (and so far only) play-through.

art style

storys.......

Enemy scaling
- No, the lowly goblins will not evolve to become lethal gods of death just because I myself become an experienced fighter. That doesn't make sense and kind of nullifies my progression as well

Excessive grinding
-Come on, this is boring

Random encounters
-Why are creatures appearing out of thin air and how come this cave seems to be just brimming with endless enemies?

Randomized dungeons
-What's the point of clearing these, if you're just gonna reset and undo everything? Also, immersion breaking much?

Only thing about JRPGs that is truely bad is usually voice acting and cutscene pacing. I've been put off buying or finished JRPGs because of how the pacing or editing on voice lines is just bad and has no flow.

Most of what you described are in western RPGs too. Just because you can see an enemy doesn't mean you won't have to fight them to gain levels. The grind is the grind, you just need to find your way to enjoy it. FFs in general have very little grind, the amount of fights you'd have during the journey were enough to level correctly usually.

Hmm, pie.