By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - This site is nearly unusable on Android

Was all but unusable on the iPhone for months. A big reason I haven’t found myself here often is because of the poor accessibility on mobile devices (it’s been fixed as of late though). Ads also eat up insane amounts of data, so that doesn’t help either. Wish they’d make a version on the App Store, but I doubt its worth it given the size of this forum.

Made a bet with LipeJJ and HylianYoshi that the XB1 will reach 30 million before Wii U reaches 15 million. Loser has to get avatar picked by winner for 6 months (or if I lose, either 6 months avatar control for both Lipe and Hylian, or my patrick avatar comes back forever).

Around the Network
VAMatt said:
d21lewis said:
One problem I do have- sometimes when I quote people, all kinds of random letters appear. Words start mixing together. When I try to delete them, it just makes things worse.

I have that problem when typing sometimes.  It seems to have gotten better (though still bad) lately though.  

aye just auto correct dies a death on this site for some reason, I think it's part way to do with the ads wanting to reshuffle every 30 seconds or so to get more of them on screen but really at times the text entry here is impossible and I've considered just hitting submit from mobile on a message which reads like I'm after getting struck in the head and having a stroke as I write it. I'm fairly sure the majority of users on here who never encounter the issue wouldn't get what the message was relating to though and just reply with a RIP post for me.

I see the same thing with the comments on articles, first comment looks fine and then on the follow up comments about 75% of the message is off screen to the left, regardless of using mobile version or desktop version that happens now on there, with both skins of the site as well.

One thing that really sucks for me is here in Ireland now we seem to get one or two video adverts which have no way to stop or close them, if they pop up you have no option but to let it play away eating my data up, if you click anywhere on the video it links you off to the site they're coming from and aye... I have an okay but not unlimited data plan so I don't want to be watching videos when it comes to reading a site for video game news, if I want to splash out on data for news I'll watch Jim "F'ing" Sterling Son on youtube. Not read something here and burn data on ad videos.

Again... I know that those adverts aren't directly picked by anyone on this site, but the adspace is sold to companies that use it how it's used, it's fine to say "we'll we didn't put them there" but the site has had advert complaining threads every month or so and the same excuse of "well the guys we sell the adspace to are to blame not us" just doesn't really hold up when you consider that some of the people making those threads just leave the site and don't come back, if I'm traveling I just close the site if the video adverts appear because I can't stay on here while the site is in data hungry mode, the people you sell the adspace to are costing the site traffic would be an easier way to phrase what I'm trying to say than simply saying "the ads you guys run suck" .... simply put the people that utilize the adspace on here do not seem to care about how those adverts impact the usability of the site as such continuing to make use of their adverts in the positions on the site they currently are makes the site less friendly and usable.

Fancy hearing me on an amateur podcast with friends gushing over one of my favourite games? https://youtu.be/1I7JfMMxhf8

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
And that's why Apple is the best baby.

Iphone or nophone.

You suggesting dropping a grand on a iphone in the hopes that this site would be formatted correctly in safari? I'm not sure anyone values the ability to come here at such a high price point. But if there is a point where I can get an 8 Core A-53, 4GB ram iphone for £119 I'll consider it, until then the smart choice for mobiles is android and vgchartz in a different browser app, I heard people mention adfree browser before but didn't use it myself, but now that I've over 200GB of storage going on my phone I might take a look.

Fancy hearing me on an amateur podcast with friends gushing over one of my favourite games? https://youtu.be/1I7JfMMxhf8

VAMatt said:

Iphone or nophone.

Two big problems with iPhones are the price, and that the screens break way too easily.  If the hardware was a little better quality, and the prices werent so tightly controlled (very few opportunities to get a good deal), I'd consider switching to Apple.  But, as it is, the value proposition just doesn't make sense to me.  

Ganoncrotch said:

Iphone or nophone.

You suggesting dropping a grand on a iphone in the hopes that this site would be formatted correctly in safari? I'm not sure anyone values the ability to come here at such a high price point. But if there is a point where I can get an 8 Core A-53, 4GB ram iphone for £119 I'll consider it, until then the smart choice for mobiles is android and vgchartz in a different browser app, I heard people mention adfree browser before but didn't use it myself, but now that I've over 200GB of storage going on my phone I might take a look.

It's a joke. Because no matter what phone you have, Android or not, the site's broken. That's the joke. 

I'm an apple guy myself. The only complaints I have with the iPhone is the price and push notifications not being as good as Android.

Around the Network
VAMatt said:

Two big problems with iPhones are the price, and that the screens break way too easily.  If the hardware was a little better quality, and the prices werent so tightly controlled (very few opportunities to get a good deal), I'd consider switching to Apple.  But, as it is, the value proposition just doesn't make sense to me.  

Ganoncrotch said:

It's a joke. Because no matter what phone you have, Android or not, the site's broken. That's the joke. 

Aaaaahhh.... as an IT guy who deals with a lot of "but it's worth the 350 extra pounds for 512gb of storage" people, I can't tell at this stage when someone is joking about Apple being worth the cash. Legit btw... the XS 64GB is 999 sterling, the 512GB version of it is 1349 sterling, that is 349 sterling for a 448GB storage increase. A 400GB microSD card costs 81 on Amazon

Snoopy said:
I'm an apple guy myself. The only complaints I have with the iPhone is the price and push notifications not being as good as Android.

My complaint is the switch, a few years ago, from those beautiful icons to the ugly assed ones they use today.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

I have a S8 edge and have exactly the same problems. To the point where i CBA with the hassle of attempting to write threads or view comments etc

ArchangelMadzz said:
What phones are you guys using?

Works fine on my Oneplus 6T. I mean it's still not formatted mobile friendly in any way and could be way better but I'm not experiencing the problems you are.

I'm on a Note 8.

axumblade said:
What browser do you use?

I use Google Chrome.