By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Massive Layoffs at Activision incoming

Employees at Activision Blizzard are bracing themselves for massive Layoffs. While no official statement has been released yet, the company is going through some restructuration aimed at centralizing functions and boosting profits, so cutting down on the payroll is the easiest way for that. Several hundreds of Jobs are in danger

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-02-08/activision-is-said-to-plan-job-cuts-as-sales-of-key-games-stall

https://kotaku.com/activision-blizzard-employees-brace-for-massive-layoffs-1832488999

https://sea.ign.com/battle-royale-1/145816/news/activision-blizzard-reportedly-planning-massive-layoffs

Activision Blizzards stock price is as low as it hasn't been since early 2017 and half down to what the company was valued at late September. The numerous bad news are taking their toll it seems.

And while EA and Take-Two also dropped of during fall, EA recovered quite a bit since it's lowest around Christmas (from 76 back then up to 97 now), while Take-two didn't drop nearly as much and only hit the equivalent of April 2018 as lowest point.

Around the Network

Diablo immortal will get them back on track

A pullback in the big gaming companies is to be expected. They've had a good, long run. It is time for a reset in the industry. That's normal and healthy.

If they can function with hundreds less employees... I can understand this decision.

They don't make many games anyhow. Might also have something to do with them parting ways with Bungie.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Activision had teams that supported Bungie with Destiny (Highmoon, Radical, Vicarious Visions), sonI think these will be the most affect.

This is a shitty situation all around. Its not like they dont have money, the New CEO dude just got 5 million as a sign on bonus.

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

Around the Network
flashfire926 said:
Activision had teams that supported Bungie with Destiny (Highmoon, Radical, Vicarious Visions), sonI think these will be the most affect.

This is a shitty situation all around. Its not like they dont have money, the New CEO dude just got 5 million as a sign on bonus.

Yeah, those Completely Expendable Operatives get so much money for nothing, the more expendable the more they get somehow.

flashfire926 said:

Vicarious might get some minor layoffs but they will be fine, they were the primary developer of Crash N. Sane Trilogy on PS4 and also did the Switch port. If I had to guess i would say they are working on a brand new Crash game.

But I agree on High Moon, they have been nothing but a Destiny support developer for the last few years so I could see them being shut down.

As for Radical, I'm pretty sure they already got shut down back in 2012. A small number of the staff was kept around to support development on the first Destiny but Radical itself in gone.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Well what do we expect, they care for milking there fanbases and less staff means less mouths to feed (Pay). This will cut quality and expenses and suits Activisons direction.

They rely way to much on COD which is a franchise that will start seeing less and less return at some point

This is very unfortunate for the people that work there. Hopefully they get back on their feet soon. I'm thinking that the executives should take a pay cut instead of the workers getting axed, but sadly that is not how things go at these corporations. Heck there are plenty of examples of bad execs running companies into the ground, resulting in thousands of jobs being lost, and yet the execs getting fat severance packages in addition to all of the compensation given to them while badly managing the company.