By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - RUMOR : Nintendo Direct for the Feb. 13th

Jumpin said:

As I have been saying since December, late March, around GDC and just before they kick off the new fiscal year.

I don't really see much point for a Direct in February, to be honest.

I think that fact that (apart from Yoshi's Crafted World) we know basically nothing about Nintendo's 2019 line-up is more than reason enough for a direct asap in February 2019.

Around the Network

Hoping we start hearing about Animal Crossing Switch, hard to believe it's coming out so soon when we don't even know it's title. I'm guessing we'll get info on Joker in Smash DLC as well as a release date for Fire Emblem Three Houses. 

Anyways, all aboard the hype bus.

Two days before my birthday if true!

Dulfite said:

And 7 months before mine

SKMBlake said:
Dulfite said:

And 7 months before mine

Exactly 2 months before mine!

OT: Let's hope this is true.

Around the Network

I really doubt this rumor. I know it's likely, but with Nintendo you never know.

It would make more sense for them to wait a couple of extra weeks and do a Direct on March, aligning with the 2nd birthday of the Switch.

Nogamez said:
Cobretti2 said:

The issue here is also a lot of Nintendo fans will not buy 3rd party games so we don't get that many announced. We are at the mercy of Nintendo to release something to feel the voids. They can't keep that void filled on their own.

At the same time some of the games being skipped is justified as the carts situation has made some developers cut corners and make you download loads of GBs to actually get the completed game. Makes it annoying and not wanting to own those games. I personally would pay more to get the full game on a larger cart.

The last few Nintendo consoles on reflection kind of feel like they come out of sync (because they needed to launch something rather then wanting to at the time) and 2 years to early or so or what would be the ideal period to meet Nintendo's full vision. Wii for example, was great but motion plus come out later. Imaging if that come out at launch as default. WiiU tried to do something great but failed and Switch kind of did what they wanted the WiiU to do. Now with the switch the OS is lacking (i.e. game saves tied to your system only), the game carts issue is causing stupid release were its just a launchers to install a digital copy and the dock really is nothing beneficial to the system in terms of specs. I honestly thought the Switch dock would be the Supplementary units that they patented before the switch was announced.

Thats a seperate issue, and kind of mute atm anyway because games like skyrim and fifa have broke a million, and all 3rd party seem really happy. But games that would actually fit the Switch like GTAV (even 360 version) Witcher 3 and the sublime Hellblade, just aren't coming. The problem for me right now is the lacklustre OS, terrible outdated online from not being able to message friends to rubbish free games to no netflix.  I mean its been 2 years since BotW, why no sequel using Botw assets and engine? Ubisoft can bang out a new massive AC every year or two. Im a long term Nintendo fan but im beginning to falter.

The dock was a wasted opportunity it should at least have upped the power of the console or made it run quicker, even plugging a laptop in does that and i agree they feel out of sync now. They should just make a console on par with with Xbox and PS then scale back their own games to suit their needs if they don't want to make 4k games etc but at-least it would be possible to port to.

What you're asking for sounds impractical if not impossible. There are at least 2 teams working on assassin's Creed at any given moment and even then they've still started taking gap years. You're not getting a new Zelda or any open world game every 2 years. Also upgrading the dock but not the handheld itself makes no sense. Throwing a ton of tech at the dock before an upgrade for the console itself just makes things harder for the devs. And finally it's called the switch for a reason, making PS4 and xb1 level games that won't run in handheld mode would be dumb. Just because you want a bog standard home console doesn't mean Nintendo should screw over their handheld fans 

Last edited by collint0101 - on 09 February 2019

Nogamez said:

Thats a seperate issue, and kind of mute atm anyway because games like skyrim and fifa have broke a million, and all 3rd party seem really happy. But games that would actually fit the Switch like GTAV (even 360 version) Witcher 3 and the sublime Hellblade, just aren't coming. The problem for me right now is the lacklustre OS, terrible outdated online from not being able to message friends to rubbish free games to no netflix.  I mean its been 2 years since BotW, why no sequel using Botw assets and engine? Ubisoft can bang out a new massive AC every year or two. Im a long term Nintendo fan but im beginning to falter.

The dock was a wasted opportunity it should at least have upped the power of the console or made it run quicker, even plugging a laptop in does that and i agree they feel out of sync now. They should just make a console on par with with Xbox and PS then scale back their own games to suit their needs if they don't want to make 4k games etc but at-least it would be possible to port to.

I guess what I was trying to say was even with the direct it may not even cater to everyone's tastes so we are at the mercy hoping their games do as not much else is coming from 3rd parties.

As for out of sync I did not mean just matching power to competition. I meant more like Nintendo seem to be in a position atm where they have to rush hardware out early because the previous system dies so they need something  new to get sales, so we only get 80% of the vision they truly wanted for that system. I am sure if WiiU held it's ground (say 40 million sales) till 2019, the Switch would have had the next gen tegra and launched in Dec 2020 and a dock that boosts the console ability  via their patented supplementary units. If the switch come out in 2020 they could have used say the Xavier GPU even though it come out in 2018, redesign it on a smaller die (7nm @ 1.4tflops is plenty for portable mode), by then battery tech would have also improved. Then throw in whatever has come out after Xavier into the dock, or just chuck in two Xaviers in the dock.

All this would have also lead to better 3rd party support, and would cater to those who don't like every Nintendo franchise. Because for me even with some of their announcements it feels dry as I don't play those games, hence why I have a PS4, but would love to have the portability of the Switch.

hat they need to do now is make sure they can keep the Switch selling, so these directs will be very important and hopefully enough interesting games to keep new people interested. If they can stretch the Switch long enough, they may be able to do with Switch 2 what they wanted with Switch, but at a grander scale than what I wrote above. 

Hamlock said:
I really doubt this rumor. I know it's likely, but with Nintendo you never know.

It would make more sense for them to wait a couple of extra weeks and do a Direct on March, aligning with the 2nd birthday of the Switch.

Why would that make more sense? When has Nintendo ever done a hardware anniversary direct?

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Miyamotoo said:
Jumpin said:

As I have been saying since December, late March, around GDC and just before they kick off the new fiscal year.

I don't really see much point for a Direct in February, to be honest.

Well they cant really wait late March if they have some April/May releases, so mid February totally makes sense, especially because new fiscal year starts on 1. April and focus of Direct would be from Yoshi release, so from late March probably to around July.

Sure they can. March is before April and May. Having a Direct close to those months would be ideal.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.