By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Unpopular Gaming Opinions

The Fury said:
MrWayne said:

-GaaS is not the bane of the industry.GaaS is the objectively best finance model for online multiplayer games.

What is GaaS?

Agreed on the Bioware thing mind you. Feel so bad for Anthem. :P

games as a service

I guess the capitalization is wrong?

Around the Network

Last of us is at best ok.
Final fantasy 8 is the best ff.
God of war is mediocre.
Waverace is the best game on the gamecube.
Super Mario galaxy games are ok.

MrWayne said:
-Gothic 1 and 2 are way better ARPGs than TES3.

- Counter Strike is still the best online Multiplayer FPS on the market.

-AOE2 is the best RTS ever created and it got even better with the latest expansions.

-the writing in KotoR and Jade Empire is bland and cliche also the good/evil mechanic sucks. DA:O is the best 3D game Bioware ever created.

-GaaS is not the bane of the industry.GaaS is the objectively best finance model for online multiplayer games.

That's all I can think of now.

Some more opinions:

- grand strategy is better than 4X

- SSB is the best fighting game series

- Pokemon gen 1 are the worst games in the series but introduced the best pokemon.

- Pokemon Platin is the best Pokemon game.

- More female main characters are good for the industry, also gender swapping of well known characters is nice from time to time.

MrWayne said:
-Gothic 1 and 2 are way better ARPGs than TES3.

Truth

think-man said:
I got some more:

- Pokemon hasn't been fun since 2nd gen

- Tearaway wasn't as good as everyone hyped it up to be. (Both Vita and PS4)

- Vita was a better console than the 3DS (Shame about it's support)

- Halo 1 & 2 campaigns were actually boring.

- Infamous was a set down franchise

- Final Fantasy Dissidia NT is more fun than the previous titles on the psp

- Yakuza isn't that fun

- Killzone 2 is the best shooter ever made

- Tomb Raider is boring

- Journey is overrated, I wouldn't have finished it if it wasn't so short

- Gravity Rush on vita was too frustrating to play, thankfully GR2 is much better

- Mass Effect 2 wasn't fun at all.

True on mass effect 2!

Around the Network
think-man said:
1. Zelda OoT is not a good game, tried numerous times to get into it, found the controls awkward, gameplay chunky and all around not very interesting.

2. Fallout sucked after 3, I platinumed Fallout 3 and was super hyped for New Vegas, couldn't get into it. same for Fallout 4, I'm not even going to bother with 76

4. Sonic All Stars Transformed is better than Mario Kart

I will try think of some more.

1. Totally agree

2. Fallout sucked after 2 already

4. Sonic All-stars Racing is more fun, but MK has the better tracks imo, so 50-50 on this one.

The_Liquid_Laser said: 

I have a lot.  I will probably forget to include some, but here goes.

I do not like the Elder Scrolls.  RPGs are my favorite genre.  There was a time when I thought that I would never find a RPG I disliked.  Then I played Morrowind.  I just hate that game so much.

Trophies make the game worse.  Take them out and let me come up with my own accomplishments.

I wish Nintendo kept making mostly motion control games.  I thought the Wii was a huge breath of fresh air.  I really liked Wii Sports and thought Resort was even better.  Motion controls is exactly what Mario Kart needed.  Excitebots was super fun, etc....  I was hoping they'd gradually keep making more games and they'd get more complex while still keeping the same controls.  I would, for example, love a game like Breath of the Wild with sword/bow controls like Wii Sports Resort.

The PS4 is a "meh" console.  I have only found a few games I like on it.  I think the main reason that it is successful is because the XB1 and Wii U were totally pathetic and the PS4 won by default.

I think narrative/cutscenes are bad for action games.  I like them in RPGs, because they are supposed to be slow and story driven style games.  In action games, the cutscenes interrupt the action.  I just want to kick ass.  Screw the story.

2D action games are far, far, far,..., far better than 3D action games.  Most 3D action games really suck ass, because their controls are terrible.  At best they are merely "ok".  Specifically here is what I am talking about.
-FPS is just a terrible genre.  An early FPS game was mech warrior.  But in every FPS game since, I still feel like I am in a slow, clunky tank with legs.  My character lacks agility.  Sometimes there will be a great game with an awesome concept, like Bioshock, and then they just completely ruin it by making it FPS.  Same goes for Metroid Prime.
-3D platformers are inferior to 2D platformers.  Mario 64 is one of the worst games I've ever played.  I tried to give it a chance twice (on N64 and 3DS).  The game is just so boring.  Mario Odyssey is slightly better.  Mario Sunshine and 3D World are ok, but I find myself wishing I was playing a 2D Mario.  All other 3D platformers are even worse.  Jak and Daxter?  Yes, I'm looking at you.
-3D Zelda makes me want to cry.  Zelda used to be my favorite franchise.  Then I played Wind Waker and Twilight Princess.  I never wanted to play Zelda again after that.  Wind Waker destroyed my childhood.  Yes, it is that bad.  Now, I love Zelda: BotW, but that is because the exploration and freedom in the game are the best ever.  The action is ok, but not great.  
-Most 3D "Beat-em ups" suck.  God of War is boring.  Dark Souls is fun in spite of the controls sucking.  I think of it as a rogue-like instead of an action game.  Then they make Bloodborne and force it to be an action game.  Yeah, Bloodborne sucks mostly because I was wishing I was playing Dark Souls.  Ninja Gaiden is ok, but the controls should be simpler.  Minecraft is a good game, but that has nothing to do with the action.

There are a few games 3D games that have decent action or even good action:
Decent 3D action: Uncharted, Spider-Man, BotW, Ninja Gaiden, (ok Dark Souls/Bloodborne are "alright" but nothing special on the action side)
Good 3D action: Katamari Damacy, Wii Sports/Resort, Dynasty/Hyrule Warriors, Mario Kart and most racing games
Good 2D action: So many just on the NES:  Super Mario 1-3, Zelda 1-2, Metroid, Castlevania 1,3, Megaman 1-2, etc....,  Plus tons more arcade games.  Plus lots more SNES/Genesis games.  Plus every Smash bros game.  Yeah, 2D action is where it's at.

I could post more, but that's probably enough for now....

Could have from me, that post, agree on everything

Some from myself now:

Zelda II is by far and large the best Zelda game ever

A Link to the Past is boring

Turn-based Wargames (like Panzer General, Battle Isle...) are the best Genre ever

Might&Magic died when Ubisoft took over

Fallout died when Bethesda took over

SMB3 is the best Mario ever

The NES TMNT game is a very good game

Last edited by Bofferbrauer2 - on 05 February 2019

MrWayne said:

games as a service

No, just didn't know the acronym. I can understand the though but I'd say F2P is the best, you have basic stuff but the entire game. So a non paying player, gets base skins etc. Then everything is unlocked by either spending money on points or playing to earn them but even, it's all luxury cosmetic that does that. League of Legends is the best example, most things are free or free from play but skins are paid for right? Yet it's making billions. Same as Fortnite. Free games allow people to come back, play when they want and pay what they want.

Of course it's also about getting people hooked. Charging your customers $60 for the base game then expecting them to pay more for cosmetic stuff on the other hand is not a good idea, being a shit game also doesn't help (Fallout 76).

Hmm, pie.

The Fury said:
MrWayne said:

games as a service

No, just didn't know the acronym. I can understand the though but I'd say F2P is the best, you have basic stuff but the entire game. So a non paying player, gets base skins etc. Then everything is unlocked by either spending money on points or playing to earn them but even, it's all luxury cosmetic that does that. League of Legends is the best example, most things are free or free from play but skins are paid for right? Yet it's making billions. Same as Fortnite. Free games allow people to come back, play when they want and pay what they want.

Of course it's also about getting people hooked. Charging your customers $60 for the base game then expecting them to pay more for cosmetic stuff on the other hand is not a good idea, being a shit game also doesn't help (Fallout 76).

F2P and gaas is definitely the best combination, Dota2 is the best example I can think of, everything that is gameplay relevant is for free and immediately available even all the heros.

But I would say gaas is also good for non F2P games as long as the initial package is worth the price.

Edit: good gaas also means that the developer also updates the game outside of paid microtransactions and cosmetics

Terranigma81 said:
Last of us is at best ok.
Final fantasy 8 is the best ff.
God of war is mediocre.
Waverace is the best game on the gamecube.
Super Mario galaxy games are ok.

I agree with everything here, except the Wave Race bit. Still a good game though.

think-man said:

- Final Fantasy Dissidia NT is more fun than the previous titles on the psp

I know you people exist, but I'll never understand you.