By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nikkei rumor: Nintendo Switch Mini Launches In Mid 2019, New Online Services Aimed At Core Gamers

SKMBlake said:
Nautilus said:

The difference is that, the whole concept behind the Switch catched on.The 3D on the 3DS didnt.Thats the difference.Its not a question of wether they could pull it off or not.Its a question of wether it would be in Nintendo best interest, and the answer is no.

I wrote to another user in this thread the reason why, just read that if you wanna know why.

Well, you're heavily focused on joycons but from my perspective, they aren't an issue. As far as I know, there is only 2 games heavily focused on joycons, Super Mario Party and Pokémon Let's go. The first one is mostly based on the tv mode and the latter on handheld mode. It doesn't go towards what a Switch mini without joycons can do.

Other games would be Labo and 1-2 Switch.But yeah, there wouldnt be many.But its still a bad decision, especially since MP sold 5.3 million and Lets go did 10 million.

But no, joycons are not the only reason, though they are a big and important one.Nintendo would have to waste money on R&D, people might not like it, you could potentially confuse people about what the Switch is.You would need to spend more on marketing, since you would be selling two distinct products, even if they are from the same family.You would earn less money on games you invest like Mario Party and ARMS(since that game uses motion alot and is the prefered style to play it).And its not like Nintendo to not make more games like those.And the list goes on and on.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Around the Network

So will their be smaller joycons? If so will they be compatible with the switch I have now?

I may be proven wrong but i still say it's a bad idea.
Built in controllers means it's a 3DS part 2; smaller battery means people will complain… a LOT; smaller joy cons... i can't even imagine how that could be pratical.

Making a new Switch model that can't be used as the popular console will confuse people, will make it seem inferior.
As an exemple, Wii U also had a cheaper model, but seeing as it was inferior to the other version, nobody cared; PS3 also had a 20GB version at 500. Did people care? No. They only cared about the other, beefier, pricier version.

People don't mind paying a bit more to get the full experience.

First, obviously point of this revision would be to smaller and cheaper, so low price Switch offer, and biggest costs can be made buy making only handheld Switch with built in controls, selling it for $200.
Saying that, this kind of Switch maybe could still be connected to Dock, and have connection to Joy Cons or Pro Controler, if they are all bought seperate.

StarDoor said:
PortisheadBiscuit said:

A Switch-less Switch still sounds like a terrible idea

If Nintendo came out with a Switch Lite that had built-in controls rather than slots for Joycons, would you consider that Switch-less even if it could connect to a dock and thus switch between handheld and docked mode?

I just think it's against Nintendo's best interest to convolute their product line. One of the main reasons Switch is doing so well is because its approach and marketing are simple and well understood by consumers IMO.

Around the Network
PortisheadBiscuit said:
StarDoor said:

If Nintendo came out with a Switch Lite that had built-in controls rather than slots for Joycons, would you consider that Switch-less even if it could connect to a dock and thus switch between handheld and docked mode?

I just think it's against Nintendo's best interest to convolute their product line. One of the main reasons Switch is doing so well is because its approach and marketing are simple and well understood by consumers IMO.

Think of Japan though... 

RolStoppable said:
Nikkei has more credibility than the average outlet, but they too have gotten things wrong.

One feature that a Switch Mini could lack are Joy-Cons because they lock the height of the console at a certain level. Switch can be much more Mini without Joy-Cons. That, however, doesn't mean a handheld-only SKU because the ability to dock doesn't need to be scratched - and it would be stupid to scratch it, considering the console's name. Of course the Mini SKU would have its own dock design that can be purchased separately, just like additional controllers for TV use. Essentially, an optional upgrade path for an SKU that focuses on making Switch a one-per-person device.

The service sounds like something that specializes in certain games that only certain gamers would be interested in in the first place, so it's unlikely to be something intrusive and will rather be a side project that most Switch owners will find easy to ignore.

Anywise, Joycons are the most expensive components of NS... 

Dock could be optional for further affordability but for sure it souldn't lack it as you aforementioned, switch that doesn't switch is not a Switch. 

Last edited by tak13 - on 31 January 2019

If this is real - which I think it easily could be - it's presumably come about in no small part thanks to Switch's performance in Japan. From Nintendo's perspective, Switch hasn't quite solved the problem of reconciling a portable-centric Japanese market with a home console-centric Western market. Switch is trending behind both 3DS and DS in Japan and that'll be cause for concern for Nintendo, even if Western sales are trending ahead of 3DS. Given their stated ambition to sell multiple Switches to individual households, a cheaper model aimed primarily at Japan, families and children (in the West) makes sense. Pokemon Let's Go has under-performed in Japan, too, which might be another reason why Nintendo are now accelerating plans for a cheaper, mini model. With portable hits like Pokemon gen 8 and Animal Crossing coming this year, then Nintendo will clearly want to maximise their sales potential and to drive hardware sales even higher.

In practical terms, a portable only Switch would be problematic, given that would remove the Switch's defining feature. A Switch model without removable controllers would also be problematic - especially given Nintendo seem set to give Labo another push in 2019; the modular nature of Switch is essential to something like Labo. That being said, I think the second option is more likely than the first. Any model like that could be kept compatible with the docks (which are already available separately) and existing joycons and pro controllers and could fill the criteria Nintendo will want to hit: cheaper, more appealing to the portable-centric Japanese market; an option for families and Switch-owning households worldwide. I think, on the latter point, a Switch Mini had better be compatible with existing docks - but if shrinking the form factor is one goal, is that something that can be achieved? Additionally, Nintendo could encourage more peripheral sales of docks, joycons etc to people who buy this cheaper model.

It's an interesting report and a hardware revision is certainly an increasingly likely possibility. Switch is marching on to the 40 million mark in 2019 and let's not forget - PS4 saw its two hardware revisions launch during the third year on the market. The easier move for now would be to slash the price of the existing model before Animal Crossing and Pokemon hit, but Nikkei do have form for this kind of scoop. It's certainly going to be an interesting 2019 for Nintendo.

The console is small enough, hope they don't go to stupid small with it.

Nautilus said:

Thats the usual problem with people trying to predict things: They lean too heavily on past data(or base solely on this) and stop seeing the current circunstances or how people behave and consume things.

1)A Switch mini is "obvious" just because Nintendo makes handhelds, and usually people dont give a better reason other than that."But Animal Crossing is a handheld franchise, and pokemon is a handheld franchise, so its obvious that Nintendo needs a purely handheld format to accompany them".Pokemon just proved that it can also sell on a hybrid system.10 million units in a month and a half.And it did that on a spin off game!Animal Crossing has sold just as a well as New Leaf on consoles(Cant remember the name).That proves that people will consume products, if said products are of good quality, regardless what form it takes(hardware), assuming said hardware dont suck.

2)About the 3DS argument: Yeah, I expect to there still being a market for cheaper handheld consoles.And the system that will do it is called the Switch.Without a mini on it.You guys forget that the Switch is a bloody hybrid.So that means it works as a handheld too.Now for the "cheap" part: The Switch will eventually get cheaper.Hell, we are probably bound for a price cut this year, making the Switch cost 250 dollars(and that would be its official price.If you look hard enough, you will probably find a good deal that its significally cheaper than that), bundled with a great game or two.Two or three years from now the Switch will get another price cut, and so on.Therein lies your cheap dedicated handheld.

3)Plus I should add: Making things smaller dosent make them cheap.I mean, probably not shipping the hardware with joycons(which brings a whole lot of different problems, like killing the whole idea of the Switch, your "handheld" Switch not working with certain games like Super Mario Party, and so on) and a dock will cut a lot of corners, but on the other side not only would you need to invest alot in R&D to shrink the parts without outright killing its performance(and thus rendering any game for the normal Switch useless), but also spending more on buying those parts, because its actually more expensive to buy those kinds of parts, than its bigger cousins.So until you prove me with hard evidence that thats possible without actually increasing the cost of the console, you are just pulling this argument out of your ass.

4)About your "not everyone carries a tablet", "want to fit the Switch in a pocket" and "its nice not to have to share the Switch with other people":Im sorry to say, but you are in the minority.Just look at the sales of tablets worldwide.Just look at the trend of the increase in size of phones.People dont mind putting those stuff on their backpacks rather than their pockets.Hell, even if the Switch was smaller and could fit in my pocket, I would never do it, because I could scratch the screen, I could break the sticks, and many other potential problems.So yeah.

5)"Not only are they one of the biggest costs (which almost every game works without), they can very easily be purchased as an accessory like I'm sure 90% of Switch owners have already done (or purchased a pro controller). " Again, you are pulling this one out of your ass.90% of the users brought another pair of joycons or pro controllers?Those really epensive controllers?Gaming is a hobby, and a expensive one at that.They already spent 300 dollars plus at least 60 for a game, do you really think everyone is willing to shell out an extra 70 or 80 dollars for something they already have and dont really need?I really doubt the numbers are anywhere near that.But if you provide any evidence, Ill be glad to say I am wrong.

6)And congratulations.You made me waste my time explaining something that was fairly obvious.Dont get me wrong, a mini could happen.Who knows, Nintendo is unpredictable and has made worse moves.But Nintendo has shown this gen that it understands this market.So dont expect it

1) Of course Pokemon can sell well on a $300 hybrid platform, but it can also sell even better if it was also on an even more child friendly, $199-249 platform. This is a no brainer. Key word is "also", there can be more than 1 Switch model in the market.

2/3) You can't just magically make the Switch cheaper. The cost argument is not that small things are automatically cheap but that in tailoring towards a dedicated & accessible handheld factor they will cut costs such as screen production, IR scanner, two gyroscopes, 2 HD rumbles, 2 unnecessary bluetooth chips, 2 necessary batteries joycan controllers, an unnecessarily expensive form factor. Infact the Joycons are so expensive to produce they were reported to be sold at a loss during launch. Just like every Nintendo handheld before, I'm pretty sure they can reduce the size without increasing their costs. The Switch's specs even for a HH wasn't bleeding edge when it was released in 2017 and its certainly not in 2019. 

4) You're barely addressing the point of the child market, the market for multiple purchases per household.... and for adults I can assure you people are buying phones they can fit in their pocket, the Switch+cons is bigger than any commercially successful phone. There's also a reason every major manufacturer is selling a range of products including massive tablets, XL phones and the usual 5" phones. A "minority" is less than 50%, it doesn't equate to a non-profitable market.

5) What made you think I was intending to state that figure as fact, it was obvious hyperbole alluding to the fact that console makers have no issue selling additional controllers  & accessories especially on a Nintendo platform. 

6) You're welcome. All this boils down to is whether there is a market for a cheaper, more portable focused Switch and considering the 3DS is STILL selling well it just makes zero sense to think there isn't. It doesn't have to outsell the base console to be valid SKU option (Otherwise PS4 Pro, XB1X, New 3DS, 2DS etc wouldn't exist)