By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - NetEase Games Acquires Minority Stake in Quantic Dream

Pretty big hit for Sony overall. These are always big exclusives to look forward to. However, now multiple platforms will be able to experience their games, so while they may not have a big exclusive on PS consoles anymore, PS consoles will still get them and PC/Xbox will finally get a good taste of what they have to offer too. This should help the company out financially imo and will probably make their games more popular as a result.

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

Around the Network
yvanjean said:
NathanSSSS said:
Basically not a good news for gamers

It's not good news for PS4 gamers..... great news for the rest of us.

As long as PS4 or PS5 get their games it is.

twintail said:
PwerlvlAmy said:
Pretty big hit for Sony overall. These are always big exclusives to look forward to. However, now multiple platforms will be able to experience their games, so while they may not have a big exclusive on PS consoles anymore, PS consoles will still get them and PC/Xbox will finally get a good taste of what they have to offer too. This should help the company out financially imo and will probably make their games more popular as a result.

Their contract with QD has finished . I doubt Sony cares considering this had happened with other companies they have had contracts with too, like Supermassive and Insomniac before them.

Oh I'm sure they care. Its one less big exclusive to their platform to entice people. But like I said on the flip side, the games in the future will still be on their platform, so they lose an exclusive but still keep the games on their platforms. I see it as a big deal because its one less incentive to own the console in the case of QD,if you're a fan of those games, if its just going to be on another platform too. 

QD just made the smart choice for them financially. Never good to lose an exclusive.  Let's just hope they keep up the quality of future titles now that they're multiplat to prove it was a wise decision

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

CGI-Quality said:
NathanSSSS said:
Basically not a good news for gamers

Eh, it doesn't hurt gamers for them to expand, but there is a quality loss when trying to work with multiple platforms versus one. Remains to be seen how things go.

Yes it's an open question at the moment, NetEase recently paid $100 mill for a minority stake in Bungie, they did have some ties since they handle the chinese  online for acti / blizzard.

Their interest in Quantic seems less direct and most likely revolves around the funding cycle that independent game developers face even the successful ones, so we most likely have Quantic seeing it performing two tasks for them, one being help in alleviating the financial  burden while retaining control and two gaining a partner for the  Chinese market.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

As much as I like some their games, I'm not too fussed about them going multiplatform.

My only concern is that Sony wasn't too bothered if the games they made didn't sell hot. As Yoshida said, they use the big blockbusters to offset losses made on more niche games.

QD like hiring actors from Hollywood. I'm not sure what kind of budget they will be given, but going multiplatform, in sure there will be an expectation for them to sell more across more platforms.

Only time will tell how well they'll do, but I'm less hopeful for them, unlike Bungie, who I think will do pretty well.

Around the Network
twintail said:
DonFerrari said:
As long as they keep making the type of game they make and on the same quality or higher I'm all for they getting more money to increase their output or make games faster. Sony missed the opportunity to buy QD, but let's see what will come out of it.

Pretty obvious Sony weren't that interested otherwise it woukd have happened by now .

Yep, pretty much, have been years that QD say they are open to being bought by Sony.

Fei-Hung said:
As much as I like some their games, I'm not too fussed about them going multiplatform.

My only concern is that Sony wasn't too bothered if the games they made didn't sell hot. As Yoshida said, they use the big blockbusters to offset losses made on more niche games.

QD like hiring actors from Hollywood. I'm not sure what kind of budget they will be given, but going multiplatform, in sure there will be an expectation for them to sell more across more platforms.

Only time will tell how well they'll do, but I'm less hopeful for them, unlike Bungie, who I think will do pretty well.

All QD games made good profit for the studio and Sony. Sony probably didn't bought they before because they saw as no value for the money since they were already getting all games exclusively with less risk (paying for IP and cost of dev) instead of having to keep the studio if their games flop.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Sony never rushed QD or any of their developers to complete anything so this is worrying. I hope the quality of QD games don't drop.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
DonFerrari said:
Chazore said:

Well let's see what becomes of this. I'm not so sure how well they would "transition" to other platforms they haven't touched in years, engine experience or not. I'd hope they make games that aren't completely movie based, and actually branch out a bit more. Not really worried about quality considering the lower end hw they are targeting. 

There are plenty of other companies making other type of games, while basically just they doing what they do. And there are some million people that like those games, why not let they have those games?

Because you end up becoming a one note player, and not everyone likes hearing the same note every single time for years and years on end, as well as not every dev wanting to repeat the same mechanics, the same tropes over and over again, hence why we see quite a few AAA devs moving around within the past 10 years (which is good, because they learn something new and try something else that they want to pursue).

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Chazore said:
DonFerrari said:

There are plenty of other companies making other type of games, while basically just they doing what they do. And there are some million people that like those games, why not let they have those games?

Because you end up becoming a one note player, and not everyone likes hearing the same note every single time for years and years on end, as well as not every dev wanting to repeat the same mechanics, the same tropes over and over again, hence why we see quite a few AAA devs moving around within the past 10 years (which is good, because they learn something new and try something else that they want to pursue).

So YOU want they to change based on YOU knowing they are tired of doing the same mechanics?

Did you enjoy any of their games?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:

So YOU want they to change based on YOU knowing they are tired of doing the same mechanics?

Did you enjoy any of their games?

I want to see a new note, rather than the same one being played over the past, near 10 years.

I semi enjoyed two of their games, both being Fahrenheit, and heavy rain, the former which has had spawned the mechanics we've been seeing since 2005. 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"