By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why are people excited for Microsoft's E3 2019?

I tend to watch conferences for games in general, not just exlcusive games. Games like Sekiro, Cyberpunk, and Just Cause arent immediately disqualified and not counted just because they're multiplatform.

Also, Rare isnt making Battletoads.

"crackdown 3 got 70 metacritic'
The second game was a reskin of the first game and was made in like 10 months or something. Both things dont apply here (though I still think the game will have a tough time reaching 80, settling around 75-76)

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

Around the Network

I think people are getting excited for E3 due to a possible hardware tease. We'll prob get a Next Xbox tease(no hardware reveal) then we'll be teased with games currently in development for it that are being made by all their recent studio purchases. Plus announcements for more studio purchases. More from the new Halo,etc.

I think those are some legit reasons to get warrant some sort of excitement. Me? I'm sitting waiting around for Battletoads

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

Because they had the most entertaining show of 2018. Multiplats or not, that doesn’t really matter IMO

Last edited by MasonADC - on 28 January 2019

How could you not be excited, expect more studios acquisitions, Gears 5 full release trailer, Halo Infinite extended trailer and gameplay footage, more gamepass games coming to the service. Expect major 3rd party multiplat world premiere . Potential new hardware announcement. Streaming service announcement.

I expect Microsoft to talk about the game in their pipeline to build hype for next gen console. So we should get some news on Fable and anything being worked on by the news studios they've recently acquired small indie games to AAA games.

Seem like Microsoft is not done acquiring studios, last year they double the numbers of studios. E3 2019, I think their goal will be to triple the amount of first party studios for next generation consoles.

yvanjean said:
How could you not be excited, expect more studios acquisitions, Gears 5 full release trailer, Halo Infinite extended trailer and gameplay footage, more gamepass games coming to the service. Expect major 3rd party multiplat world premiere . Potential new hardware announcement. Streaming service announcement.

I expect Microsoft to talk about the game in their pipeline to build hype for next gen console. So we should get some news on Fable and anything being worked on by the news studios they've recently acquired small indie games to AAA games.

Seem like Microsoft is not done acquiring studios, last year they double the numbers of studios. E3 2019, I think their goal will be to triple the amount of first party studios for next generation consoles.

I'd like to see homegrown studios, instead of acquired ones. Having a studio that used to be 3rd party bought out, means a game goes from being 3rd party to an exclusive which I don't really like the idea of. Having a new studio form, and make great games that happen to be exclusives is great. 

Edit: I mean if you're buying a studio to save it from going bankrupt, or you are funding a game that never would have released otherwise, then that's different. Nintendo funding Bayonetta 2 is fine, since it wouldn't have been made otherwise. 

I bought the original Gears of War back in 2006. I just didn't like it at all. The campaign was 10 hours long. The characters were one dimensional. The color palette was brown/grey. The multiplayer was just everybody jumping around with shotguns. 

I'd get an Xbox for Halo if they had more that I was interested in. I'm not a fan of Gears or Forza. I think racing games where you can't shoot the other guy, or ramp, or do something cool are lame. Games that just try to emulate real life, with no actual video-game aspects are boring to me. You'll never catch me playing some modern basketball game, but I'll happily play NBA Jam to this day. 

Gamepass and streaming services are actually kind of scary. They are trying to move from games as a one time product sold, to games as a service. And games as a service will cost people more in the long run. I like the idea of owning the games I am playing. 

The multiplats will be neat, but I'd rather they get revealed at all platform conferences that have them launching on their system. 

A new Fable would be nice. 

Last edited by Cerebralbore101 - on 28 January 2019

Around the Network
Cerebralbore101 said:

Phil Spencer recently said that Microsoft's E3 2019 would be as big as ever. This was an article on the front page of vgchartz. I couldn't help but notice a bunch of comments with people getting excited. Just what was there to get excited about? The 2018 show didn't do anything for me. They didn't announce any big new exclusives. The games that they did announce were either multiplatform, the same three games as always,  or underwhelming looking. 

Just incase anybody needs a refresher... https://kotaku.com/everything-microsoft-showed-at-e3-2018-1826712235

"But what about Battletoads?"

Rare is making it. They botched Sea of Thieves. 

"But what about Crackdown 3?"

Crackdown 2 got a 70 on Metacritic. That's about the same score that No Man's Sky got at  launch. 

Are people excited because it has become the place for 3rd party multiplats to make their announcements, or are you guys genuinely excited for Microsoft? If so why? 

I'm not trying to hate on a particular platform here. I mean, if MS announced Fable 4, and two or three promising new IPs from good development teams, I'd be excited. But I just haven't been a fan since 2011. 

Why not? Sony's not gonna be there and Microsoft shows a lot of great games! They tend to have good or even great presentations, they're just never for Xbox exclusives. I, as a PS4/Switch player who owns an unused Xbox One, can potentially get a lot out of what microsoft has to show. 

I still never play my Xbox (the last good Xbox exclusive was Ori and the Blind Forest, as far as I'm concerned), but they COULD still release something good and even if they don't they'll show a bunch of great multiplatform games I'll be playing on my PS4! Win-Win for everyone! 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Cerebralbore101 said:
yvanjean said:

I'd like to see homegrown studios, instead of acquired ones. Having a studio that used to be 3rd party bought out, means a game goes from being 3rd party to an exclusive which I don't really like the idea of. Having a new studio form, and make great games that happen to be exclusives is great. 

Edit: I mean if you're buying a studio to save it from going bankrupt, or you are funding a game that never would have released otherwise, then that's different. Nintendo funding Bayonetta 2 is fine, since it wouldn't have been made otherwise. 

I bought the original Gears of War back in 2006. I just didn't like it at all. The campaign was 10 hours long. The characters were one dimensional. The color palette was brown/grey. The multiplayer was just everybody jumping around with shotguns. 

I'd get an Xbox for Halo if they had more that I was interested in. I'm not a fan of Gears or Forza. I think racing games where you can't shoot the other guy, or ramp, or do something cool are lame. Games that just try to emulate real life, with no actual video-game aspects are boring to me. You'll never catch me playing some modern basketball game, but I'll happily play NBA Jam to this day. 

Gamepass and streaming services are actually kind of scary. They are trying to move from games as a one time product sold, to games as a service. And games as a service will cost people more in the long run. I like the idea of owning the games I am playing. 

The multiplats will be neat, but I'd rather they get revealed at all platform conferences that have them launching on their system. 

1) The Initiative is a brand new studio. Playground Games have never released anything for a non-xbox platform,, same with Undead Labs, so they werent really "taken away". Obsidian was likely on the brink of closure with ho horribly bad Pillars 2 did. Also this isnt big bad Microsoft stealing studios. The studio's decision should also be respected, they accepted to be bought out when they had no obligation to do so.

2) Forza Horizon is not even close to realistic. What do you mean by "cool stuff"? Horizon lets you pull off big jumps, if that's what you were wondering.

3) So you would rather watch different conferences for Warner, Activision, Square, BamCo, etc instead of having all the announcements in a single one? dofferent folks, different strokes, I guess

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

flashfire926 said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

1) The Initiative is a brand new studio. Playground Games have never released anything for a non-xbox platform,, same with Undead Labs, so they werent really "taken away". Obsidian was likely on the brink of closure with ho horribly bad Pillars 2 did. Also this isnt big bad Microsoft stealing studios. The studio's decision should also be respected, they accepted to be bought out when they had no obligation to do so.

2) Forza Horizon is not even close to realistic. What do you mean by "cool stuff"? Horizon lets you pull off big jumps, if that's what you were wondering.

3) So you would rather watch different conferences for Warner, Activision, Square, BamCo, etc instead of having all the announcements in a single one? dofferent folks, different strokes, I guess

Ok yeah, then their acquisition of studios is fine. How badly did Pillars 2 do? If Obsidian was going to shut down, then its a good thing for MS to scoop them up. 

Let me be a little more clear on my dislike of Forza. Imagine a platformer where you just play as a normal human being. You have no special powers, no extra jump height, you can't do parkour. It's just a normal random guy off the street jumping from place to place. Does this sound fun? How about an FPS where there are no killstreaks, no weird guns that would never exist in real life, no flashbangs, etc. You just play as a normal guy again off the street. He has no special powers, there are no grenades. It's just a mundane game where you just shoot people or things with your pistol. Does that sound fun? 

Well, this is how I feel about racing games where there's no Blue Shell, no machineguns to fire at other cars, no flying cars, no futuristic cars, etc. What I'm trying to say is I don't like games that are a 1 to 1 recreation of real life and nothing more. Games like that are boring. 

Last edited by Cerebralbore101 - on 28 January 2019

Cerebralbore101 said:
flashfire926 said:

Ok yeah, then their acquisition of studios is fine. How badly did Pillars 2 do? If Obsidian was going to shut down, then its a good thing for MS to scoop them up. 

Let me be a little more clear on my dislike of Forza. Imagine a platformer where you just play as a normal human being. You have no special powers, no extra jump height, you can't do parkour. It's just a normal random guy off the street jumping from place to place. Does this sound fun? How about an FPS where there are no killstreaks, no weird guns that would never exist in real life, no flashbangs, etc. You just play as a normal guy again off the street. He has no special powers, there are no grenades. It's just a mundane game where you just shoot people or things with your pistol. Does that sound fun? 

Well, this is how I feel about racing games where there's no Blue Shell, no machineguns to fire at other cars, no flying cars, no futuristic cars, etc. What I'm trying to say is I don't like games that are a 1 to 1 recreation of real life and nothing more. Games like that are boring. 

Pillars 2 needed 550k copies sold to break even, but it only sold 110k. A fifth. Thats it.

For Forza... the Honda Civics would the pistols, and the lamborgini aventadors would be the ak47’s, dont you think?

99% of people cant afford/own a supercar. They cant do junps without sustaining injuries, they cant break the speed limit without the cops being on them, they cant drift with ease, etc. A normal man cant do these things.

Do you live in a mansion with lots of money to blow through, in the top 1%? Cause if not, this is not even close to 1:1 recreation of how people drive on roads.

There’s nothing wrong if you prefer racing games with weapons. However Forza Horizon is far, FAR, from 1:1 recreation of real life. Infact its much more on the arcady side than simulation.

Bet with Intrinsic:

flashfire926 said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

Pillars 2 needed 550k copies sold to break even, but it only sold 110k. A fifth. Thats it.

For Forza... the Honda Civics would the pistols, and the lamborgini aventadors would be the ak47’s, dont you think?

99% of people cant afford/own a supercar. They cant do junps without sustaining injuries, they cant break the speed limit without the cops being on them, they cant drift with ease, etc. A normal man cant do these things.

Do you live in a mansion with lots of money to blow through, in the top 1%? Cause if not, this is not even close to 1:1 recreation of how people drive on roads.

There’s nothing wrong if you prefer racing games with weapons. However Forza Horizon is far, FAR, from 1:1 recreation of real life. Infact its much more on the arcady side than simulation.

I feel bad now. I waited on Pillars 2 because I was planning on getting it for my PC, but I wasn't going to play it until a long loooooong time from the release date. So I was waiting for a big sale. 

Even a game with AK47's would be boring to me though. I've been there, and done that with Goldeneye. 

I get your point though. You can race some high end cars that you would never get your hands on in real life. Maybe I'll pick up a Forza game again, and see if I can get into it. I tried Forza back on the 360 and found it to be really boring. I was just racing cars, and upgrading them, and that was basically it. If I remember correctly (it was a decade ago) I had to grind the normal cars just to unlock the Lambos and cool stuff.