By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why are people excited for Microsoft's E3 2019?

Phil Spencer recently said that Microsoft's E3 2019 would be as big as ever. This was an article on the front page of vgchartz. I couldn't help but notice a bunch of comments with people getting excited. Just what was there to get excited about? The 2018 show didn't do anything for me. They didn't announce any big new exclusives. The games that they did announce were either multiplatform, the same three games as always,  or underwhelming looking. 

Just incase anybody needs a refresher... https://kotaku.com/everything-microsoft-showed-at-e3-2018-1826712235

"But what about Battletoads?"

Rare is making it. They botched Sea of Thieves. 

"But what about Crackdown 3?"

Crackdown 2 got a 70 on Metacritic. That's about the same score that No Man's Sky got at  launch. 

Are people excited because it has become the place for 3rd party multiplats to make their announcements, or are you guys genuinely excited for Microsoft? If so why? 

I'm not trying to hate on a particular platform here. I mean, if MS announced Fable 4, and two or three promising new IPs from good development teams, I'd be excited. But I just haven't been a fan since 2011. 

Around the Network

Who knows, there's a slight (albeit very small) chance MS could announce their next console. We could see some games from the studios they purchased but again it's likely we won't see much since a lot of them were already working on games before MS bought them. Fable IV like you mentioned could be highly likely since Playground Games have been working on it for a good while now. Halo Infinite gameplay, more Gears 5, maybe a couple more studio acquisitions and other stuff I'm drawing a blank on. Anyway, I think there's enough to get me excited, even if there's no new console announced.

They didnt announce any big new games? Did you not see the show? You even put a link where they write several revealed exclusives maybe you should take a look. They also had tons of trailers for multiplats. It was a good show.

As for E3 2019... we'll see we will at the very least see Gears 5, Battletoads, Ori 2 possibly more on Halo and obviously a lot more. Yes there's a lot of good reasons to be excited for MS E3 this year.

I take presentations as just that ... presentations. And really, I'd say there were only a few good ones since I've started watching E3 (in 2015). So I think Microsoft's 2018 E3 was one of the better ones I've seen. I know that a lot of those games were third party multi-platform titles, but that doesn't stop my excitement while I'm watching it, because I'm a fan of games in general. It also did have some cool reveals - Gears 5 looked great and I hope Battletoads and Halo Infinite are good.

I don't have much hope for the next year or two of Microsoft exclusives, I don't think they'll get very serious till their next console. Still, I enjoyed last year's presentation a lot. And Gears 5 looks excellent ... 

Sony said no new hardware 2019... AFAIK, Microsoft made no such announcement, and given Microsoft's direction of planned compatibility between hardware generation, it could mean faster console releases... maybe a xbox one x ultra with SSD as standard that is capable of doing 60 FPS on a higher % of games.

Anyways, nothing to be super excited about, other than it will be far easier for them to win the show with Sony not doing anything...

Around the Network
Mbolibombo said:
They didnt announce any big new games? Did you not see the show? You even put a link where they write several revealed exclusives maybe you should take a look. They also had tons of trailers for multiplats. It was a good show.

As for E3 2019... we'll see we will at the very least see Gears 5, Battletoads, Ori 2 possibly more on Halo and obviously a lot more. Yes there's a lot of good reasons to be excited for MS E3 this year.

They did announce Gears 5, and Halo Infinite. But that's just more Halo and Gears. We all knew those were coming. 

jlauro said:
Sony said no new hardware 2019... AFAIK, Microsoft made no such announcement, and given Microsoft's direction of planned compatibility between hardware generation, it could mean faster console releases... maybe a xbox one x ultra with SSD as standard that is capable of doing 60 FPS on a higher % of games.

Anyways, nothing to be super excited about, other than it will be far easier for them to win the show with Sony not doing anything...

I don't think they'll win the show. NIntendo just has too much stuff in the works for 2019. The big N will take the E3 prize like they did in 2017. 

Cerebralbore101 said:
Mbolibombo said:

They did announce Gears 5, and Halo Infinite. But that's just more Halo and Gears. We all knew those were coming. 

ironmanDX said:

Cerebralbore101 said:

I'll just quote my own OP here...

"Phil Spencer recently said that Microsoft's E3 2019 would be as big as ever. This was an article on the front page of vgchartz. I couldn't help but notice a bunch of comments with people getting excited. Just what was there to get excited about? The 2018 show didn't do anything for me. They didn't announce any big new exclusives. The games that they did announce were either multiplatform, the same three games as always,  or underwhelming looking."

Maybe I should have been clearer, or stated it in a different way. But you can see from the above bolded that no goalpost was moved. 

Last edited by Cerebralbore101 - on 28 January 2019

I have never owned a Microsoft console.  Having said that I am especially interested in their 2019 E3 presentation.  So far what I know is that they've been developing very little for the XB1, and yet they've recently bought several new studios.  Add that together and I expect them to have a very strong launch for their next console.  Also I expect them to announce it (or at least some details about it) at this year's E3.