By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Can Nintendo's AA 3DS developers deliver this year?

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
Lryu222 said:

What makes you think AC will sell that much? I can see it getting close but 20M?

Sorry, 17-20M is my prediction, not 18-22. Anyways, I simply think it has the highest chances of growth. Though I'm more expecting 18-18.5M

I think if they do AC right it will sell Mario Kart Wii levels.

Around the Network

I'll just post what I think now that I've gotten a few replies. 

Fire Emblem: The GameCube Fire Emblem was good, but the Wii one wasn't quite up to snuff. The Wii version was just too easy. I still need to get around to playing Awakening. I really hope they don't split content between two versions, and a 3rd DLC, like they did with the last FE game. But the title Three Houses makes it sound like they will anyway. So I'm guessing this will get a score of 82 due to too much DLC/content splitting. 

Pokemon: This kind of depends on whether or not they clean up the models. Like I said in the Poke'mon graphics thread, they don't need a complete overhaul from the Let's Go games. Just a few minor things need to be upgraded or tweaked. Better connections between limbs. More polygons and chamfering to reduce blockyness. I think they will make these changes though. So I think they will be ok, but Poke'mon 2019 will wind up being the lowest rated mainline Poke'mon game ever. Something like an 81 or 82. 

Animal Crossing: No worries here. The Splatoon 2 team is working on this one. 

Luigi's Mansion: I have no idea. I'm not even sure who is making this. And the game just got announced not too long ago. Will they really be done by 2019? Or will this one get pushed back to 2020? If it did it wouldn't be that big of a deal. Switch's 2019 is already stacked with big games anyway. 

I mean I guess it depends on what you define as transitioning smoothly ... as in graphics? Overall presentation? Mechanics? Innovation? Sales? Reception? If we are to consider Let's Go a smooth transition, then yes, all these developers should be fine. Though Intelligent Systems is hopefully making Fire Emblem Three Houses look a little cleaner by now.

My predictions in terms of sales.

Fire Emblem: 5-6M
Pokemon: 18-22M
Animal Crossing: 20-22M
Luigi's Mansion: 7M

Transitioning smoothly in general. But sales/reception would be the most important. 

Darwinianevolution said:
Out of this games, I'm worried for Fire Emblem and Pokemon. FE because they've been trying to reinvent the wheel since Awakening, and I would love a straight forward FE game, like Awakening was. 

So ... they tried to reinvent the wheel ... for one entry?

Well, we had Awakening, which was phenomenal, FE Fates, which was weak and had an even weaker story (plus they charged much more for the game due to the "three stories" gimmick), and Shadows of Valentia, which is a game that regressed to SNES standards in many aspects. Not to mention SMT x FE, but that is more of a SMT game than FE, so I can't complain there.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Darwinianevolution said:

Well, we had Awakening, which was phenomenal, FE Fates, which was weak and had an even weaker story (plus they charged much more for the game due to the "three stories" gimmick), and Shadows of Valentia, which is a game that regressed to SNES standards in many aspects. Not to mention SMT x FE, but that is more of a SMT game than FE, so I can't complain there.

Shadows of Valentia was a remake of Fire Emblem Gaiden, a Famicom game that never made it to the west. Edit: Yeah, that's right. Famicom. In other words it was a game that would have been on NES if it had made it to the west. 

Last edited by Cerebralbore101 - on 22 January 2019

Darwinianevolution said:

Ok ... but ... that's not what we were talking about. You said they tried to reinvent the wheel after Awakening and that you want a standard Fire Emblem, but Fates (and really arguably Awakening) are the only ones I think could be/are considered to be reinventions. A remake of a SNES game keeping the gameplay of the SNES game beat-for-beat (minus the weapon triangle) isn't "reinventing the wheel", in fact it's the exact opposite, especially because it's not a template for the rest of the series.  And SMT X FE is a spin-off. 

Sorry, if you are really only talking about Fates, then I can understand your original statement, but then it would be a bit comical because you're really only talking about one game. If you're talking about Echoes to, or the spin-off game, then I just don't understand .. : P It's fine either way though, I have some concerns for the new one myself! 

Last edited by AngryLittleAlchemist - on 22 January 2019

Around the Network

Pokemon is the only one I'd worry about, though I could be convinced to worry about Luigi's Mansion 3 as well, since so far its graphics don't look much better than 3DS quality, much as Pokemon Lets Go was. Animal Crossing and Fire Emblem have a very good history on consoles so I'm not worried about them in the slightest.

What are the chances that people will still want Pokemon when it comes to the Switch? Like 99.99%

Darwinianevolution said:

Sorry, outside gameplay features because it is a remake of NES game, the story and characters in Echoes is league ahead both Awakening/Fates

I think it's quite insulting to assume the developers can't adapt to more high quality environment. It's not the PS1 era, making high quality 3D games isn't a miracle. Especially not with the visual quality Nintendo is content with.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

I mean, Animal Crossing will be the work of EPD and they're hardly an "AA" developer. The bulk of the Animal Crossing team likely worked on the Splatoon games too, so they're already experienced with HD development.

Really, it depends what your expectations are. Animal Crossing will be iterative no doubt, but will have the polish that EPD are famous for.

Fire Emblem is a middle tier franchise - so it's not going to have the same kind of budget and not be in the same technical league as EPD's Switch efforts, but I'm optimistic given Echoes improvements to aesthetics and narrative (even if late game mission design was one note, that's more a legacy of the game's origins). My biggest concern with Three Houses would be an expensive season pass - the game isn't returning to the Fates triple release strategy though (Three Houses refers to plot elements, plus the game has a different name in Japan). I'd expect Fire Emblem to look better when it does resurface. The game had English voice acting, subtitles and animated cut scenes in the reveal trailer so much of the content is likely finalised - which has left Intelligent Systems time to polish the game.

On first reveal I thought Luigi looked good - the textures are simple but it's well lit and well animated. It's likely developed by Next Level with supervision and support from EPD, so again I'm optimistic.

Pokemon is difficult to judge. I don't think Let's Go is indicative of what we'll get for generation 8 but it's not secret Game Freak have been technically conservative with Pokemon at every turn. I'd expect something better looking and better animated than Let's Go, but not something that pushes the Switch or rivals EPD's best efforts.

In short, I think these games are likely to turn out well. There haven't been many mis-steps with Nintendo's first-party offerings on Switch and I don't see that suddenly changing now.