By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Days Gone looks really meh

Tagged games:

Are you expecting to be blown away by Days Gone?

Yes 37 39.78%

No 56 60.22%

Total:93
KLXVER said:
sethnintendo said:
See this is the problem they went down with Uncharted. If you advertise that your game looks like a movie people expect movies not games.

People think that? At no point have I thought this looks like a movie...

It was a bad joke.  But you know what isn't a joke.  Sony and CGI commercials.  I swear to god everytime I see a Sony commercials it is pure CGI.  It is like... Where the fuck is the gameplay?

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
sethnintendo said:

It was a bad joke.  But you know what isn't a joke.  Sony and CGI commercials.  I swear to god everytime I see a Sony commercials it is pure CGI.  It is like... Where the fuck is the gameplay?

Examples?

Every Sony commercial since the 90s.  They always emphasize CGI over any gameplay graphics.  Heck you are lucky to see gameplay footage in a Sony commercial.  I'll stop here though.  Don't want to hijack the thread of exclusive looking meh.

GOWTLOZ said:
JRPGfan said:

"Days Gone looks really meh" - OP

I really like certain aspects of it, such as you need to observe the enviroment, and plan ahead, and use stealth mechanics to sneak around and set traps, before takeing on hoards and the like. Certain things about it make it very differnt from most other shooter games.

So I dont agree with you, that it seems like a "meh", I think this game will be a hidden gem, with how much people seem to underestimate it.

I think it will surprise people, and endup with a 80+ metascore.

What you said describes a lot of shooters. There are a ton of games which reward player choice in dealing with objectives which has become boring.

I do see it as an 80 and above on metacritic just because it looks like a competent game with solid mechanics with the recent celebration of single player games with no microtransactions.

collint0101 said:
Looks like Sony's new super Mario bros. A dime a dozen generic version of something they make all the time. Nintendo makes a ton of 2d platformers with NSMB being the most bland and cookie cutter of the bunch and Sony makes a lot of 3rd person cinematic shooters with days gone looking like an ok enough entry

A lot of third person shooters? Like what? Uncharted and The Last of Us are the only other two.

Cerebralbore101 said:
Honestly, I just trust Sony to be able to handle their first party studios at this point. And the game has been in development for 7 years. So if it comes out with a mediocre Opencritic score of 75 to 77, I'll be a little surprised.

Nintendo with their greater experience still makes mediocre games so Sony can and do as well. Look at Uncharted 4.

Yeah, but you can see Nintendo's mediocre games a mile away. They are usually low effort 2D platformers, or some form of Mario Party. In every Metascore prediction thread people nail it when it comes to the scores of games in the high 70's. 

Days Gone looks pretty cool, not every Playstation game is the new God of War, Horizon or Uncharted 4. Its a game made by a studio which is really stepping up. I am excited for it, but it will probably not be GOTY material. Doesn't say it can't be a good game it has some interesting mechanics, which can set it apart from the competition. I guess this could be a 85/100 game if its technically well executed and I will probably pick it up.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

twintail said:
EricHiggin said:

I never introduced that, you did in reply to my initial post. Your the one arguing it's mostly for improvements, or your argument makes no sense.

I didn't claim PS was holding back with Days Gone, I said "I wonder". Maybe they might have, maybe not, who knows? So every sequel to a successful new IP is guaranteed success?

I claimed neither. I was simply pointing out that bad decisions are bad decisions. If I told you I would give you $2,000 every day for two weeks straight, starting today, or you could wait just one week and then I'd give you $5,000 per day for a week instead, which would you pick? Assuming you don't desperately need any money you can get your hands on this instant, picking the $2,000 now option would be the wrong business choice. PS isn't desperate for money, has it's content gaps filled, and is the market leader by miles, so they'll just wait for the bigger payout overall when the time is right.

Well DG could be effected by TLOU2 if it launches sooner than later and is a much better game overall, because people who haven't bought into DG yet may very well skip it at that point. TLOU2 probably doesn't have to worry all that much unless it ends up a total train wreck, and that's pretty darn unlikely with ND at the helm.

I was responding to your 'limiting scope's comment by suggesting that delaying the game surely wasn't doing as you wondered. I never claimed solely for improvements, those were your words. My original comment even highlights that the release is nearer to TloU2 now,  but your takeaway ignores that. 

I wonder is highlighting the possibility and I'm saying I don't think that possibility exists. 

I'm talking about TloU2, and its position in relation to sales, positive media buzz, sales of other Sony narrative games etc. 

So no, not every sequel.

if I misread your comment then fair enough, that's on me for misunderstanding. Sony are in a good place now and will release games when they are ready to be. Is timing important? Sure. But they aren't just letting their finished games just hang in limbo. You only have to look at something like Horizon which got patch updates for well over 6 months fixing even minor issues.

Regardless as long as Bend sees success that is all that is important. They deserve having some limelight at least.

The delayed titles do seem to be receiving extra tlc, pushed back on purpose or not. I also hope and think it's more likely that DG ends up more successful than not.

Around the Network

I think this will be an AC Odyssey situatiion, where the new game was called a DLC, people on forums like this will complain,but they game will got its meta and its sales.

LudicrousSpeed said:
It reminds me of games like ReCore or State of Decay, solid titles that due to the lack of other exclusives on their platform, got hyped beyond what they should have been. Sony hasn’t released a big exclusive since GoW IIRC. This is releasing early in the year when there’s not much else, and as a result, it’s being made into a bigger title than it should be.

It’s also a lot like 1886 in that regard. I expect something more than 1886, that game was doodoo, but I agree with you that when I see this game I just see meh. I see been there, done that. It would take a pretty special narrative to overcome what has been lackluster gameplay in the videos I have seen.

So is it solid or meh? Bit of a contradiction there.. 

Anyway I might have already said this but DG is now firmly on my radar after the last 2 trailers. Not launch day because I've a list of games to get through. Currently on the 3rd best game of 2018 spiderman then after I'm onto the second best RDR2.

Then I've mafia 3 (ps plus) and ROTTR ($9 sale). Spyro 3 and destiny 2 (ps plus) also. Then I've the horizon, ghost recon and assassin's Creed syndicate dlc. After that it will probably be Crash Team Racing time. Then I'll be looking to get Detroit and Shadow of the colossus cheap on sale. After all that it's DG time providing it gets good reviews and user feedback. I'll get it then when it's half price on sale.

So yeah game looks promising but it will have to wait it's turn. I've completed 17 games since October 5th so I'm doing my best! 

DAYS GONE looks really AMAZING
https://youtu.be/SgNSgxjMJTA

KingofTrolls said:
DAYS GONE looks really AMAZING
https://youtu.be/SgNSgxjMJTA

You should make a new thread for that. 

Kerotan said:

You should make a new thread for that. 

I dont know how to post YT videos here, this is the only site I got this problem, so a post will be enough.