By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Days Gone looks really meh

Tagged games:

Are you expecting to be blown away by Days Gone?

Yes 37 39.78%

No 56 60.22%

Total:93

I don't expect to be blown away by anything. If you are expecting to be blown away then how can you?
I can only be blown away when I don't expect to be. Having said that, I can still expect a game to be a great experience.
I think Days Gone has a LOT under the hood that we haven't seen yet. What they have shown so far looks good to me. But if you think all games that aren't mindblowing are 'meh' then I think you are the one with a problem.

Around the Network

I think this games score will be 72-75, not bad but not great, just rather mediocre, one that will be easily forgettable. Collectors edition looks kinda cool tho

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

I will buy Collectors Edition for crazy money, this is my 3 cents on the topic. Open world TloU/TWD game is what i wanted since first playthorugh TloU in 2013 on PS3.
This time, the luck is on my side.

LudicrousSpeed said:
It reminds me of games like ReCore or State of Decay, solid titles that due to the lack of other exclusives on their platform, got hyped beyond what they should have been. Sony hasn’t released a big exclusive since GoW IIRC. This is releasing early in the year when there’s not much else, and as a result, it’s being made into a bigger title than it should be.

It’s also a lot like 1886 in that regard. I expect something more than 1886, that game was doodoo, but I agree with you that when I see this game I just see meh. I see been there, done that. It would take a pretty special narrative to overcome what has been lackluster gameplay in the videos I have seen.

I think the problem is the exact opposite. The game seems to have struggled to remain relevant amongst all the other exclusives. They've been trying to market it between GOW, Spiderman and TLOU2. Every time it's brought up there's TLOU comparisons or people asking when TLOU2 is releasing. (It may share a few common themes, but is not Naughty Dog or has an 17m selling first title to back it up).

How many times can you use the zombie template and expect to impress as many people as you did before? Days Gone is just victim to really high levels of fatigue at this point. TLoU and Telltale's TWD got a bump for the genre, but it really needs either a rest of years or another genre-busting twist.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Around the Network

"Days Gone looks really meh" - OP

I really like certain aspects of it, such as you need to observe the enviroment, and plan ahead, and use stealth mechanics to sneak around and set traps, before takeing on hoards and the like. Certain things about it make it very differnt from most other shooter games.

So I dont agree with you, that it seems like a "meh", I think this game will be a hidden gem, with how much people seem to underestimate it.

PwerlvlAmy said:
I think this games score will be 72-75, not bad but not great, just rather mediocre, one that will be easily forgettable. Collectors edition looks kinda cool tho

I think it will surprise people, and endup with a 80+ metascore.

Sony has been delivering hit after hit, and its been quite a long time since their last dud (what was it? The Order?).

This might just break the streak honestly. Sony Bend's last game was in fall 2011, so they took seven and a half years developing this. If it doesnt do well I fear for the future of Sony Bend.

edit: Honestly I think this was planned for a few years ago. Before games like Dead Rising 4, Overkill's Walking Dead, Telltale WD seasons, and Evolve all bombed in one way or another. Now I think people are over the Zombie craze.

My theory is that the long time in development is due to Bend being a portable developer for quite some time before having to transition to PS4.

Last edited by flashfire926 - on 20 January 2019

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

LudicrousSpeed said:
It reminds me of games like ReCore or State of Decay, solid titles that due to the lack of other exclusives on their platform, got hyped beyond what they should have been. Sony hasn’t released a big exclusive since GoW IIRC. This is releasing early in the year when there’s not much else, and as a result, it’s being made into a bigger title than it should be.

It’s also a lot like 1886 in that regard. I expect something more than 1886, that game was doodoo, but I agree with you that when I see this game I just see meh. I see been there, done that. It would take a pretty special narrative to overcome what has been lackluster gameplay in the videos I have seen.

WTF????

If anything days gone is suffering now because there are already too many great IPs on the PS4 and compared t all the others this one looks the most generic. I mean even the order garnered way more hype than this game is getting.

To OP, I agree with you. Not on how it looks though, I cant fault it for its looks. I just don't think they have done enough to make people really interested in the game. Yh the whole zombie horde mechanic is a novel one... but thats just not nearly enough. 

I see it scoring in the 75-80 range.

Looks like Sony's new super Mario bros. A dime a dozen generic version of something they make all the time. Nintendo makes a ton of 2d platformers with NSMB being the most bland and cookie cutter of the bunch and Sony makes a lot of 3rd person cinematic shooters with days gone looking like an ok enough entry

Honestly, I just trust Sony to be able to handle their first party studios at this point. And the game has been in development for 7 years. So if it comes out with a mediocre Opencritic score of 75 to 77, I'll be a little surprised.