By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Days Gone looks really meh

Tagged games:

Are you expecting to be blown away by Days Gone?

Yes 37 39.78%

No 56 60.22%

Total:93

I haven't really been impressed by any thing they've shown so far, but I'm cautiously optimistic it will be at least solid. The latest trailer was definitely better than anything they'd previously shown. I have it preordered on Amazon because it was on sale. Hopefully reviews aren't released too late so I can at least decide whether I'll go through with it or not.

Around the Network
flashfire926 said:

Sony has been delivering hit after hit, and its been quite a long time since their last dud (what was it? The Order?).

This might just break the streak honestly. Sony Bend's last game was in fall 2011, so they took seven and a half years developing this. If it doesnt do well I fear for the future of Sony Bend.

Maybe their last dud could be considered The Last Guardian? The way people treat that game is like it's a 71 average on metacritic but it's very positively received. It's kind of odd. Oh well, I loved the game. 

lol, most people are talking good things about it... what a bs title and op post

IF you post a trailer and get 6k likes to 200 dislikes, you know what the general opinion is :)

Oh and Zombie Fatigue? but everyone hyping up Resident Evil, yeah BS

flashfire926 said:

My theory is that the long time in development is due to Bend being a portable developer for quite some time before having to transition to PS4.

Cerebralbore101 said:
Honestly, I just trust Sony to be able to handle their first party studios at this point. And the game has been in development for 7 years. 

The game was being developed since 2012 buuuuuuuuuut it didn't entire full production till early 2015, so I'm assuming realistically that most of the development took place in 4 years, not 7 (the first few years were probably conceptual at most, which lines up with what FlashFire said). 

melbye said:
Agree with a lot of things said in this thread so far, i don't understand why Sony greenlit this game with Last of Us 2 coming. Despite the obvious differences i don't know if the general gaming-audiences will care. Sony Bend should be very afraid for their future considering this is their first game since 2012 and Sony has closed studios for less

It's delay is why it crept closer to tlous 2 . then again we don't know if tlous will get a 2019 release and aprils date  gives it enough time to sell without any major interference from other Sony first party, plus if it met its original target it might have been near GOW or Spiderman. 

I see it as mid tier title with a mid tier budget and I would bet Sony feels the same, of course they are hoping that they  get sales that mean they have another franchise on their hands but because its mid tier they most likely only need 2-3 mill to have made money.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

Around the Network
AngryLittleAlchemist said:
flashfire926 said:

My theory is that the long time in development is due to Bend being a portable developer for quite some time before having to transition to PS4.

Cerebralbore101 said:
Honestly, I just trust Sony to be able to handle their first party studios at this point. And the game has been in development for 7 years. 

The game was being developed since 2012 buuuuuuuuuut it didn't entire full production till early 2015, so I'm assuming realistically that most of the development took place in 4 years, not 7 (the first few years were probably conceptual at most, which lines up with what FlashFire said). 

A long pre-production period is the hallmark of a good game though. Testing everything in a pen/paper format long before you even do a single 3D model or main loop of code saves a ton of time in the long run. Its just a waste of time to work on a game for two years, realize that the core idea of the game isn't fun, and have to start over. Part of Red Dead 2's problem with crunch hours was that they were changing things last minute that should have been decided in pre-production. For example adding cinema bars to all of the cutscenes mere months before launch, forcing those scenes to be redone entirely. Or forgetting that the name of your city is also the name of a city in New Vegas, and having to then drag all your voice actors back in to re-record their lines. 

Even for games that can't be prototyped with a pen/paper, there should at least be an absolute barebones alpha build with nothing but a few basic untextured low poly models. Edit: Just look at BotW. They started out with an NES mockup, and went from there. 

Last edited by Cerebralbore101 - on 20 January 2019

flashfire926 said:

Sony has been delivering hit after hit, and its been quite a long time since their last dud (what was it? The Order?).

This might just break the streak honestly. Sony Bend's last game was in fall 2011, so they took seven and a half years developing this. If it doesnt do well I fear for the future of Sony Bend.

Maybe their last dud could be considered The Last Guardian? The way people treat that game is like it's a 71 average on metacritic but it's very positively received. It's kind of odd. Oh well, I loved the game. 

If you don't pat the doggo in TLG you are going to have a very bad time. He is programmed to think like a puppy. People didn't give him the proper pats, and then went "Argh, he isn't listening to me! This game must be broken!"

Cerebralbore101 said:

A long pre-production period is the hallmark of a good game though. Testing everything in a pen/paper format long before you even do a single 3D model or main loop of code saves a ton of time in the long run. Its just a waste of time to work on a game for two years, realize that the core idea of the game isn't fun, and have to start over. Part of Red Dead 2's problem with crunch hours was that they were changing things last minute that should have been decided in pre-production. For example adding cinema bars to all of the cutscenes mere months before launch, forcing those scenes to be redone entirely. Or forgetting that the name of your city is also the name of a city in New Vegas, and having to then drag all your voice actors back in to re-record their lines. 

Even for games that can't be prototyped with a pen/paper, there should at least be an absolute barebones alpha build with nothing but a few basic untextured low poly models. Edit: Just look at BotW. They started out with an NES mockup, and went from there. 

Oh I absolutely agree, I'm just saying that for the most part development really started in 2015. But yes, coming up with the concepts is just as important. Pre-planning is very important etc. 

Looks pretty good to me. Especially with the largest hordes of aggressive zombies I have seen. Going to be a lot of tense moments I believe. Really, if I had to choose between this and TLOU2, which I might, I'm going Days Gone.

flashfire926 said:

Cerebralbore101 said:

3 years of pre-production.... sounds somewhat bad? I dunno. They must've had several false starts or something to take so long to finally get going.

Its not uncommon for titles to have that long pre-production, but its only cause the developers are finishing up a seperate title alongside. Fallout 4 started pre production in 2008, and entered full production in 2011 (IIRC), however most of the team for that 2008-2011 period was on Skyrim.

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.