By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Switch is home console seeing the fastest software sales so far in Nintendo's history, Smash Bros sold 5m in first week

Miyamotoo said:
SKMBlake said:

I'm glad we don't have this kind of issue in french since "console" means a support on which you put stuff and can be used both for home consoles and handhelds.

There is no issue, Nintendo looks on Switch like console, it have home consoles prices and home console games.

Pokemon core series isn't a home console game but a handheld one

Around the Network
HoangNhatAnh said:
Shiken said:

1.  I have most of the PS exclusives, but I usually do not waste time with collectibles or tedious tasks which is why I only have 5 plats.  It takes a lot to get me to plat a game.  For example, I got the plat in GoW because I just loved it so much.  I am a c hair away from the plat in Horizon Zero Dawn, but did not feel like tracking the collectables down.  I fully intended to, until it actually came time to do it lol.

But I am suprised that you said not that many exclusive games.  Click on it and you can see I have all of the big ones and quite a few smaller ones as well dating back to Killzone and Knack.  I think the only big game I have not played yet is Spiderman due to my backlog already being too big.

2. Agreed

3. No as the Switch is a home console that has a feature to play games on the go.  It plays 3rd party multiplat console games and all of Nintendo's home console style games are released on it as well.

However the Switch is in a unique spot as based on future SKUs and wether or not they release a handheld only version that cannot be docked.  This really is a debate that no one can win based on what time period you may be potentially looking at  and the events of that period that have yet to happen.

As of now however, the Switch is a home console as that is how it is treated and developed for overall.  Years down the road based on business decisions that may or may not happen, my stance could change however.

4. They both had core console games and therefore were competing directly, they just had their own offerings of core experiences to choose from.  The Wii however was comprised as mostly casual friendly games and experiences, but also had some core games as well.  I feel the Wii was competing in the same market as the PS3 as well, but the core gamers that bought the system were front loaded and their focus shifted overtime.

Then when they mis marketed the WiiU...well we all know what happened there lol.

"all of Nintendo's home console style games are released on it as well" Well, well, their biggest system seller is a handheld series: Pokemon

Actually Smash is tracking to the biggest system seller as most sales this holiday seem to be in Dec.

As for Pokemon, that depends on the 2019 game.  Lets Go was a casual remake of the original games, and can be viewed as not really console caliber.  If the game coming this year steps things up to say, a BotW level...well that would be a console caliber Pokemon game.

I will point out however that there is at least one game that can ONLY be played docked that exists (Super Mario Party), but there is no game that can only be played in portable mode.  So there's that...

Last edited by Shiken - on 18 January 2019

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

HoangNhatAnh said:

"all of Nintendo's home console style games are released on it as well" Well, well, their biggest system seller is a handheld series: Pokemon

Smash is their bigget system seller now......

Click HERE and be happy 

EricFabian said:
HoangNhatAnh said:

Smash is their bigget system seller now......

Biggest for now, and when Pokemon gen 8 come out, well...

Shiken said:
HoangNhatAnh said:

Actually Smash is tracking to the biggest system seller as most sales this holiday seem to be in Dec.

As for Pokemon, that depends on the 2019 game.  Lets Go was a casual remake of the original games, and can be viewed as not really console caliber.  If the game coming this year steps things up to say, a BotW level...well that would be a console caliber Pokemon game.

I will point out however that there is at least one game that can ONLY be played docked that exists (Super Mario Party), but there is no game that can only be played in portable mode.  So there's that...

Pokemon main core games is a portable serie. The World End With You too.       .                                                                                                   

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
Shiken said:

So as a home console, you admit that it is directly competing with the PS4 and X1 then, correct?

Nope, because they aren't taking away sales from them, but I won't enter in the same discussion of the other thread.

I bought a Switch instead of a PS4.  Also, my Xbox One has become a secondary console to my Switch in terms of both use, and software purchased.  I buy multiplats (Doom, Wolfenstein II, NBA 2K18, NBA 2K19, Skyrim, etc.) on Switch instead of Xbox One.  All of these facts say yes, the Switch has taken away sales from them.  Anytime someone chooses the Switch version of a multiplat for it's portability convenience over the Xbox One or PS4 version, they are actively taking away sales from them.  So, yes, the Switch is a direct competitor to the PS4 and the Xbox One.

HoangNhatAnh said:
Miyamotoo said:

There is no issue, Nintendo looks on Switch like console, it have home consoles prices and home console games.

Pokemon core series isn't a home console game but a handheld one

But it has home console price point. ;)

HoangNhatAnh said:
Shiken said:

Pokemon main core games is a portable serie. The World End With You too.       .                                                                                                   

Man you're reaching, but ok I'll bite.

God of War Chains of Olympus was a PSP game, does that make the PS3 a portable?

Gravity Rush was a portable game that was initially a VITA release, is the PS4 a portable because of Gravity Rush 2?

An IP can start on a handheld, and move to a console  and vice versa.  It means nothing as it is all about the content.  If the next pokemon game is on a completely different level, it was not designed as a handheld game.

Take Zelda for example.  Was Twilight Princess a portable game because Minish Cap existed?  Or was Minish Cap console caliber because of Twilight Princess?  It is all about the content of the game being released, not of previous games in the franchise.

Also, as per my example, just because a handheld game gets ported to a console or has portable and console versions, like Dragon Quest XI being on 3DS in Japan, it does not change what it is being ported to into a handheld.  With that said, your point about The World Ends With You makes zero sense what so ever.

And on the note of Dragon Quest, it and other games that fit this category, always have their Switch ports being scaled from the PS4 version, NOT the respective  3DS or VITA versions of said game.  If the Switch was developed for as a portable rather than a home console, would it not be the other way around?

Last edited by Shiken - on 18 January 2019

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Azelover said:
DonFerrari said:
So Nintendo spoke people is also on the let's call home console or handheld depending on the situation instead of always calling it a hybrid?

The Switch is a Hybrid.

But I'd say it's mostly a home console, than it is a handheld.

I've had to explain this many times, but I'm gonna try again. The $299 price point, games at $60, marketed at young adults(instead of children). Games with extensive campaigns. The Switch was shaped the whole way as a Home console primarily, that you can take anywhere. NOT as a handheld that you can connect to the TV.

I would say their signature handheld at the moment is the 3DS, still.

Nintendo's been positioning the 3DS as more of a budget alternative to the Switch recently than their main handheld line. Every-time they talk about it, they always mention it in the context of it being a gateway to the Switch, not as their main way to play games on the go. 

Shiken said:
HoangNhatAnh said:

Man you're reaching, but ok I'll bite.

God of War Chains of Olympus was a PSP game, does that make the PS3 a portable?

Gravity Rush was a portable game that was initially a VITA release, is the PS4 a portable because of Gravity Rush 2?

An IP can start on a handheld, and move to a console  and vice versa.  It means nothing as it is all about the content.  If the next pokemon game is on a completely different level, it was not designed as a handheld game.

Take Zelda for example.  Was Twilight Princess a portable game because Minish Cap existed?  Or was Minish Cap console caliber because of Twilight Princess?  It is all about the content of the game being released, not of previous games in the franchise.

Also, as per my example, just because a handheld game gets ported to a console or has portable and console versions, like Dragon Quest XI being on 3DS in Japan, it does not change what it is being ported to into a handheld.  With that said, your point about The World Ends With You makes zero sense what so ever.

And on the note of Dragon Quest, it and other games that fit this category, always have their Switch ports being scaled from the PS4 version, NOT the respective  3DS or VITA versions of said game.  If the Switch was developed for as a portable rather than a home console, would it not be the other way around?

Except you can't play ps3 on the go. Is ps vita a home console as well by that logic since you can dock it to TV? Even psp?