By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Digital Foundry: New Nintendo Switch: 6 Hardware Upgrades We Must See

Bigger internal storage for sure, the SSD is way too small in the digital age. Don't care that much about 4k output, I'll get that on PC when some decent cards able to run it properly come out. Scratching isn't much of an issue for me since I more or less only play in docked mode, but I can see how it's an issue for those who regularly dock and undock it.

Around the Network
Wyrdness said:
Miyamotoo said:

No it wouldn't need additional performance, thats just scaller nothing more, like DF stated in video, they would just need USB C 3.2 port and HDMI 2.0 support. For instance Xbox One S internally upscales games to 4K resolution.

Pretty sure X1S has a dedicated chipset for upscaling as well as certain spec changes to accommodate that not too mention they had to add in features to deal with the heat generated.

Hole chipset just for upscaling? Hard to believe, some changes under hood with S revision definitely. Just for record, Tegra X1 chipset has support for 4K output, for instance Nvidia Shield (same Tegra X1 chipset like Switch) supports 4K video output.

pretty tame expectations..... doesnt sound like they are expecting much improvement to it.

I guess as long as the overall price is reasonable and that allows Nintendo to not suffer a loss, we can get the features that would work for Nintendo.

With the Switch, they marked it as $300 and made sure that it was a price that did not allow them to suffer a loss. We will have to see how these features (or other features we may not know of) will affect the price of the Switch revision.

I just want a console and a portable version that are separate products... the console being somewhat more powerful than the portable.

Around the Network

Bluetooth headphone support?

One thing for sure, first Switch revision is already overdue.

DS/DS lite - 67 weeks
3DS/3DS XL - 74 weeks
GBA/GBA SP - 99 weeks
Average - 80 weeks
Switch/(today) - 98 weeks

It looks even better when you stack all Nintendo hardware by release dates, starting from GB pocket (1996). On average we've seen new system/revision every 62 weeks. Currently the last hardware released from Nintendo was New 2DS XL and it's been 79 weeks since the release.

Last edited by Kristof81 - on 16 January 2019

Kristof81 said:

DS/DS lite - 67 weeks
3DS/3DS XL - 74 weeks
GBA/GBA SP - 99 weeks
Average - 80 weeks

It looks even better when you stack all Nintendo hardware by release dates, starting from GB pocket (1996). On average we've seen new system/revision every 62 weeks. Currently the last hardware released from Nintendo was New 2DS XL and it's been 79 weeks since the release.

3ds tanked out the gate and needed it. DS started slowing like crazy and needed it. I can't remember about GBA, but Switch clearly is doing great so they probably don't have the same pressure.

Dulfite said:
Kristof81 said:

DS/DS lite - 67 weeks
3DS/3DS XL - 74 weeks
GBA/GBA SP - 99 weeks
Average - 80 weeks

3ds tanked out the gate and needed it. DS started slowing like crazy and needed it. I can't remember about GBA, but Switch clearly is doing great so they probably don't have the same pressure.

GBA was more to address the back light issue as the screen was criticized for being too dark at times.

Personally, I’d rather have a consistent and steady 60fps or even higher than 4k.