By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Digital Foundry: New Nintendo Switch: 6 Hardware Upgrades We Must See

Good luck with that.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network

A Switch Mini and a Switch TV are inevitable at this point, but maybe they will take another year to release and try to coincide with a hardware pricecut of the original. A Switch Pro worries me more, because I don't want to see developers overstretching themselves with four different power settings (regular docked, regular portable, pro docked and pro portable). Plus, I really dislike this refreshes, they don't seem to have a point for most of the time.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Wyrdness said:

Pretty sure it still requires additional performance even for upscaling as the PS4 and X1 have shown which would mean an SKU with significant change in specs, only way that happens is if they go a GB to GBC route with the NS where the new SKU is essentially its own platform.

No it wouldn't need additional performance, thats just scaller nothing more, like DF stated in video, they would just need USB C 3.2 port and HDMI 2.0 support. For instance Xbox One S internally upscales games to 4K resolution.

Not sure their expectations align with Nintendo roadmap.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Miyamotoo said:
Wyrdness said:

Pretty sure it still requires additional performance even for upscaling as the PS4 and X1 have shown which would mean an SKU with significant change in specs, only way that happens is if they go a GB to GBC route with the NS where the new SKU is essentially its own platform.

No it wouldn't need additional performance, thats just scaller nothing more, like DF stated in video, they would just need USB C 3.2 port and HDMI 2.0 support. For instance Xbox One S internally upscales games to 4K resolution.

Unless I'm wrong X1S have an chip dedicated to the upscaling. With the benefit compared to the TV (of not high end quality) being the delay.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

4K is overrated, power is better spent somewhere else

More storage cool.

But long term next gen internal storage is not the answer.

Games are getting bigger. I don't want to be downloading installing uninstalling shit all the time. Bring carts that are writable and install that shit on each game cart with the save files.

Id pay an extra $20 a game for that.

Same me time investing in backup media anyway and effort to back it all up.

melbye said:

No. It isn't overrated.
The issue isn't so much 4k rendering though... It's the fact that there is actually a degradation in image output on 4k TV's using the Switch... And let's face it, the Switch needs every leg-up it can.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
melbye said:

No. It isn't overrated.
The issue isn't so much 4k rendering though... It's the fact that there is actually a degradation in image output on 4k TV's using the Switch... And let's face it, the Switch needs every leg-up it can.

Yeah, it is just an unnecessary intermediate step to scale from 720p to 1080p and after that from 1080p to 2160p which changes the output quality to the worse in step 1.

720p to 2160p allows proper scaling: every pixel gets tripled horizontally and vertically.

Miyamotoo said:
Wyrdness said:

Pretty sure X1S has a dedicated chipset for upscaling as well as certain spec changes to accommodate that not too mention they had to add in features to deal with the heat generated.