By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Music Discussion - Which Post-90s Bands Deserve to be in the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame?

In order to be eligible for induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame a band or artists must be 25 years removed from their debut album. That means acts from 1994 are eligible after this years. Obviously this presents a problem because Rock was way past its prime and continued its decline from the 90s into the present day. It is hard for me to think of bands from that era that legitimately deserve to get in.

I know there is a huge controversy of the Rock HOF inducted acts from genres other than Rock n Roll but for the sake of this discussion lets stick to recent Rock bands.

Which bands that made their debut after the 90s actually deserve to be inducted?

Weezer debuted in 94. They will probably be inducted someday, if only for their first 2 albums.

Smashing Pumpkins have been eligible for a few years now. I think they will get in eventually.

As much as  I love Third Eye Blind I do not think they will be inducted. They were only mainstream popular for a narrow window even though they continue to crank out music.

I think Blink 182 will eventually be inducted because they are the most popular/ tolerable of that pop punk wave of the late 90s early 2000s.

Whenever Jack White is eligible I think he will get in.

Your thoughts?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

Around the Network

Weezer, definitely. Smashing Pumpkins ... eh. Probably, though it just doesn't seem like they were around all that long.

Otherwise, it's hard for me to separate the early 1990s from the 1980s.

The Offspring were pretty big for awhile. Beck had a huge amount of buzz going and some fantastic albums. Soundgarden should 100% be included.

Jane's Addiction, too, for their influence.

pokoko said:
Weezer, definitely. Smashing Pumpkins ... eh. Probably, though it just doesn't seem like they were around all that long.

Otherwise, it's hard for me to separate the early 1990s from the 1980s.

The Offspring were pretty big for awhile. Beck had a huge amount of buzz going and some fantastic albums. Soundgarden should 100% be included.

Jane's Addiction, too, for their influence.

Jane's Addictions is already in the Hall of Fame. This surprises me for two reasons, I assume they made their debut later and they really did not produce that many albums.

Smashing Pumpkins are still around though. They just released a (meh) new album last year that featured most of the original members. Billy Corrigan is a genius in his own right and definitely deserves a spot if the likes of Pearl Jam have already been inducted. I think Beck is a shoe in. He becomes eligible this year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

Soundgarden, Weezer and Foo fighters come to mind. I can see Linkin Park getting in eventually along with blink

Radiohead got in, that's all I care about

Around the Network
Signalstar said: 

Whenever Jack White is eligible I think he will get in.

Your thoughts?

I don't pay attention to Rock N Roll nominees but, not just The White Stripes? I feel like Jack Whites solo career has more or less been received as mediocre, but maybe I'm wrong lol.

Foo Fighters should get in in their first year of eligibility (2020). They're one of very few bands from the mid-late 90s that stayed relevant for 20+ years.

I take it Green Day are already in - they'd be a certainty if not. I know their debut was early 90s mind Someone mentioned The Offspring - that'd be ace. Their debut came out in 1989, so they've been eligible for a few years now.

Muse seem very popular these days, so perhaps they've a good chance.

Have to wonder whether some of the bigger names around the time of nu metal / alt metal popularity, such as Korn or Slipknot, may get a look in. Someone mentioned Linkin Park - I definitely think they'll get in. Don't think Limp Bizkit have a chance despite selling a load of records back in the day. Deftones I hope, maybe not popular enough though. Tool would be interesting. Marilyn Manson perhaps as well. Kid Rock sold a lot, has done different styles and still plays arenas, has his own cruise etc - eligible for a few years now (debut in 1990).

Nickelback - sold a load of records and still play sizeable venues. Don't think their status as a terrible band in the eyes of many will do them any harm in regards to likelihood of induction.

Hmmm. I definitely think that all of the MOR post-grunge bands--from Matchbox 20 to Third Eye Blind--will eventually get in. What you're going to see, sooner rather than later, is a dearth of popular bands who are worthy of joining the Hall. My hope is that we start to see the incredible indie acts of the past twenty-plus years get their due: Grandaddy, Pavement, Neutral Milk Hotel, Sleater-Kinney, etc. I would definitely rather see them on stage than Nickelback, Creed, or any of the other nu-grunge monstrosities of the late 90's/early 2000's. You'll also see bands like Oasis and Blur make it.

As far as first year eligibility? Coldplay, Eminem, White Stripes, The Strokes.