By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - December NPD 2018 thread

Intrinsic said:
colafitte said:

yeah...but WHAT IF...?!?!?!

We will never know now.....

It also shows that there still a lot of sales for PS4 in 2019, because if they sold that much at that price, it points to a good year for PS4 in 2019, and depending of price cuts, it could also surprise us again with better numbers than anticipated by most. If there is one console capable of that, is ps4.

KingofTrolls said:

Lets say Sony drop the price hard for PS4, 100 dollars per unit, and they got that 20 mil, hell, 21 million. So 3 million more

The result is that PS4 sold mere 2.73% more than it did overall in real life, and they cut off  quite like 2100000000 $

At the end of the day, money talks, BS walks.

yup..... 

people can just forget about that price drop as long as sony can still manage like 16M+ sales at $299. I mean the NS has a smaller install base and is currently averaging around 16M/yr also at $299 and is still less than 2yrs old. 

Why should the 5yr+ old PS4 drop its price from $299 when its still putting up 18M+ years?

I will say it again' no price drop unless we have sub 2014 year numbers.

Did you not laugh at me the other day for saying PS4 is going to do 16M this year?? . Don't get me wrong, i'm saying that in a good mood, so i want to ask you again if you think i'm going to be wrong, because if i remember correctly, you expected 15M at most didn't you?

I really think PS4 is going to do 16M with or without price cut, and Switch is not going to do so much better as most people are expecing. I expecting an adjustment for Switch in 2018 being more like 16'5M in 2018, and something like 17'5-18M in 2019. So, if in the improbable situation that Sony did a huge price cut for PS4, PS4 would be very close to those numbers too in my opinion (but it won't happen in my opinion). 2019 software for PS4 is going to be legendary and if TLOU II launches this year.....buff.

Last edited by colafitte - on 22 January 2019

Around the Network
colafitte said:

For these companies....profit >>> sales.

It depends. Profit is indeed bound with sales . We are so late in this gen, and late adopters are typically not the biggest buyers, few mills hardly make a difference. Any difference.

Looking at it from bussines POV, the issue is simple, PS4 did reach its target sales, it is confirmed, Switch is in unknown position, Xbox is Xbox to be diplomatic.

The real money is software, the PS4 dominates it all ways around on this site, aaaand.... its software sales is undertracked by over 200 million.

The PS4 is the biggest winner this gen, it took the HW sales crown day1, it took the multiplatform sales as well ( last gen multiplats sold more on 360 generally ), and royalties is money to the hands for nothing, eh, and they got that digital sales bonus, the sales of Sony games is simply a dream comes true, and it will get only better, they are reaching  the Nintendo levels slowly. The best things console market has is now in Sony's hands.

Perhaps u are not that old bag as me, I remember well the PS360 days, for me this is magic, I remember that PARTY threads when 360 was 5 mils above PS4 that launch a year later, and stuff...

Sometimes I wonder - where is my party now?

KingofTrolls said:
colafitte said:

For these companies....profit >>> sales.

It depends. Profit is indeed bound with sales . We are so late in this gen, and late adopters are typically not the biggest buyers, few mills hardly make a difference. Any difference.

Looking at it from bussines POV, the issue is simple, PS4 did reach its target sales, it is confirmed, Switch is in unknown position, Xbox is Xbox to be diplomatic.

The real money is software, the PS4 dominates it all ways around on this site, aaaand.... its software sales is undertracked by over 200 million.

The PS4 is the biggest winner this gen, it took the HW sales crown day1, it took the multiplatform sales as well ( last gen multiplats sold more on 360 generally ), and royalties is money to the hands for nothing, eh, and they got that digital sales bonus, the sales of Sony games is simply a dream comes true, and it will get only better, they are reaching  the Nintendo levels slowly. The best things console market has is now in Sony's hands.

Perhaps u are not that old bag as me, I remember well the PS360 days, for me this is magic, I remember that PARTY threads when 360 was 5 mils above PS4 that launch a year later, and stuff...

Sometimes I wonder - where is my party now?

Hahaha, i'm an old bag myself too here. I remember the times from last gen, when in Jan or Feb there were huge, and i mean HUUUUUUUGE adjustments for Wii, X360 and PS3, even in the millions.

This gen has become more boring because it has been clearly dominated by PS4, and i think the next one is going to be the same...

Intrinsic said:
Now where were all those saying NS would do 2.5M????

And lol @ sony being last again for december.

Not only that PS4 was overtaken by Switch at the end of 2018 after leading all they through the whole year. 

colafitte said:

This gen has become more boring because it has been clearly dominated by PS4, and i think the next one is going to be the same...

Look like we think the same. The ppl saying the MS will be better prepared this time forget the Sony will be aswell.

I am curious what future has in store for Switch/Nintendo. 

Around the Network
LGBTDBZBBQ said:

Not only that PS4 was overtaken by Switch at the end of 2018 after leading all they through the whole year. 

Out of curiosity - what are the yearlies for both?

KingofTrolls said:
colafitte said:

Look like we think the same. The ppl saying the MS will be better prepared this time forget the Sony will be aswell.

I am curious what future has in store for Switch/Nintendo. 

Switch and nintendo will do fine. Their success seems independent of Sony and Microsoft war and ultimately is based on internal hardware and software ideals for success and failure.

Acevil said:

Switch and nintendo will do fine. Their success seems independent of Sony and Microsoft war and ultimately is based on internal hardware and software ideals for success and failure.

The problem I have with Nintendo consoles, they always seem like one-trick pony to me. Alright, they kinda merged handheld/home console with Switch ( but the latter lags behind big time ), Switch is selling good, but still, the sales of the separate home consoles and handhelds are untouchable.

The Switch's succes so far, seems more like Wii U failure/3DS dying effect, than its own achievement. 

Kai_Mao said:
p0isonparadise said:

Switch is up 18% YoY with a Smash release. That's weak. 

If Smash hadn't released Switch would've been down YoY.

But it's not like the sky is falling on the Switch.

I mean, we've also talked about how Nintendo's first party output outside of Smash, Pokemon, and Mario Party was relatively weak for most of the year compared to last year.

That's more like, "no #%$ it would've been low without a big hitter or two." Considering outside of Kirby, Pokemon Let's Go, Smash, Mario Party, Octopath Traveler, and Mario Tennis Aces, most of the games Switch has gotten in 2018 were ports. That's the context I'm looking at.

Of course not, Switch is the best-selling console of 2018. Fantastic result considering the majority didn't think it would happen just a few months back.

I'm strictly talking about December, the 18% is comparing  December 2018 to December 2017. 

KingofTrolls said:
Acevil said:

The problem I have with Nintendo consoles, they always seem like one-trick pony to me. Alright, they kinda merged handheld/home console with Switch ( but the latter lags behind big time ), Switch is selling good, but still, the sales of the separate home consoles and handhelds are untouchable.

The Switch's succes so far, seems more like Wii U failure/3DS dying effect, than its own achievement. 

I disagree but I do not have the time to formulate an argument. Simple response is that this is unique to both 3ds and Wii u as it is very strong and capable device that doesn't trip over itself and has strong compelling software