By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - December NPD 2018 thread

TruckOSaurus said:
It's a shame that wild rumors inflating everyone's expectations kinda rained on Switch's parade when it did achieve the best single month performance of any console this gen.

I told people in that infamous PR from Nintendo back in November to not trust blindly insiders predictions like Benji, because they are just..., that, and they can be wrong, as it ended happening in December. If Nintendo says something and it is proved wrong afterwards, choosing to believe Nintendo numbers is always still a better choice.

And yes, Switch did fantastic, 1'7-1'8M in December, after such November is a great result. We should look more what Switch did Nov+Dec combined than just December. That shows more and better perspective of Switch success.

Around the Network
colafitte said:
TruckOSaurus said:
It's a shame that wild rumors inflating everyone's expectations kinda rained on Switch's parade when it did achieve the best single month performance of any console this gen.

I told people in that infamous PR from Nintendo back in November to not trust blindly insiders predictions like Benji, because they are just..., that, and they can be wrong, as it ended happening in December. If Nintendo says something and it is proved wrong afterwards, choosing to believe Nintendo numbers is always still a better choice.

And yes, Switch did fantastic, 1'7-1'8M in December, after such November is a great result. We should look more what Switch did Nov+Dec combined than just December. That shows more and better perspective of Switch success.

Well said, totally agree!! 

Miyamotoo said:
Despite all 3 sold little less than expected, PS4 and XB1 are in their 5. year on market so they done OK numbers,
Switch just had best December of hole generation, had best year of 3 and sold more than PS4+XB1 combined in December, so 1.8m is still very good despite didnt sold 2m+ like most people expected.

360 did 1.4M in 2012, it's 7th year, and PS3 had 900k in December 2011 despite also being 5 years old, and even the Wii did about that despite it's sales having crashed down. I'm pretty sure the PS2 did better in 2005 despite being 6 years old by then.

While the platforms are aging, blaming that performance solely on age is just wrong.

However, considering how Black Friday got more and more important, the market is slowly shifting away from December sales. I think for the entire picture we would need to add both November & December figures and compare those with the other years, as buyers who bought in December in the past now buy a BF deal instead.

BlackBeauty said:
PortisheadBiscuit said:
So did Pokemon technically push more hardware than Smash? Or did the cyber Monday being counted for Nov instead of Dec screw things up?

How could Pokemon push more hardware when it sold more in December?

If you’re talking YOY increases that only because last November there were no Black Friday deals for the switch. 

Smash is a juggernaut. Let’s Go is a wet paper towel. 

And yet despite your personal feelings, Let’s Go did fine for what it was.

Its not Smash, but it complemented Smash for what was a great Nov-Dec for Nintendo.

Bofferbrauer2 said:
Miyamotoo said:
Despite all 3 sold little less than expected, PS4 and XB1 are in their 5. year on market so they done OK numbers,
Switch just had best December of hole generation, had best year of 3 and sold more than PS4+XB1 combined in December, so 1.8m is still very good despite didnt sold 2m+ like most people expected.

360 did 1.4M in 2012, it's 7th year, and PS3 had 900k in December 2011 despite also being 5 years old, and even the Wii did about that despite it's sales having crashed down. I'm pretty sure the PS2 did better in 2005 despite being 6 years old by then.

While the platforms are aging, blaming that performance solely on age is just wrong.

However, considering how Black Friday got more and more important, the market is slowly shifting away from December sales. I think for the entire picture we would need to add both November & December figures and compare those with the other years, as buyers who bought in December in the past now buy a BF deal instead.

Not sure, but one point to argue about if Cyber Monday week was counted against Nov or Dec in 2011. In this year, Cyber Monday week was counted as part of November which could eventually reduce December numbers. I believe this is the first time where we have Cyber Monday week reported as part of November where it was always counted as part of December in previous NPD reports.

Around the Network
colafitte said:

id fantastic, 1'7-1'8M in December, after such November is a great result. We should look more what Switch did Nov+Dec combined than just December. That shows more and better perspective of Switch success.

Not just Switch

With how important BF has gotten, we really need to look at Nov+Dec combined numbers in general, as it gives a much clearer picture how any console is doing that respective holiday season, as just looking at one month really skews the numbers.

Bofferbrauer2 said:
colafitte said:

id fantastic, 1'7-1'8M in December, after such November is a great result. We should look more what Switch did Nov+Dec combined than just December. That shows more and better perspective of Switch success.

Not just Switch

With how important BF has gotten, we really need to look at Nov+Dec combined numbers in general, as it gives a much clearer picture how any console is doing that respective holiday season, as just looking at one month really skews the numbers.

Yeah, with PS4 and XBO is the same too, that's what i meant to say. Totally agree.

colafitte said:
TruckOSaurus said:

Benji: "I will no longer be providing any sort of insight into the industry, sales data, or anything of that nature permanently. Sorry to those that enjoy what I share but my mental health is more important"

kindark said:
colafitte said:

Benji: "I will no longer be providing any sort of insight into the industry, sales data, or anything of that nature permanently. Sorry to those that enjoy what I share but my mental health is more important"

I'm sorry for Benji, he is a cool dude and a helpful insider, but he is the only one to blame for this. When you make predictions and you're wrong, there's no problem, but when you start being cocky and saying "i'm being right in the past, when people are going to believe everything i say??, by the way, i expect Switch doing almost impossible numbers in December" it's your fault. 

He just suffered from Icarus syndrome, he flew too close to the sun and ended being burned.... I wish him the best and a time outside forum sales can only be healthier for him.

Awesome numbers no matter what. Still did outsold ps4 and xbox combined and that is no small accomplishment